Big wooden boat project [Splashed Sept 2017]

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
One rod is split bamboo, one wood and two ‘glass (still older though). Lol.
One of the reels actually has a patent date of 1889.

Cool! Yeah the classics remain classic for a reason!

It's funny, in fly casting, fiberglass is experiencing a bit of renascence in recent years. After 30 years of graphite rods getting faster and faster and stiffer and stiffer people have begun to realize that the slower full flexing rods of days gone by weren't such bad casting and fishing tools after all.

Of course split bamboo has always held a fascination with fly fisherman. But most wouldn't own one for one reason or another. Not unlike a wooden boat! :)

Cheers................................Todd

Ned L

Commander
I took last Thursday & Friday off from work and headed over to the north fork of Long Island for three days (hadn't been there by boat in 40 years). It was just as nice as I had remembered.

I passed this big fish on my way over there, ......... they throw one heck of a wake!!!

enhance
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

enhance

I first went to Greenport.

Very touristy now, but you can still find some of the 'old Greenport'.

enhance

and some of the new....

enhance

enhance

enhance

I dropped the anchor and walked around for the afternoon.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

As I said, .... some of the "old" Greenport...

enhance

enhance

and new...

enhance

enhance

A well decorated NYC fireboat, now retired at Greenport.

enhance

As the day ended I hopped over to Dering Harbor on Shelter Island for the night.

enhance

enhance

I spent about half the next day walking around Shelter Island, ............... quite a place...............

​​​​​​​

Last edited:

Ned L

Commander
Shelter Island is a bit like walking into a Norman Rockwell picture, ............. Although it is a Norman Rockwell of the ".000001 percenters" so to speak. We'll just say that money does not appear to be a concern there. Great fun to walk around though.

The local Inn, just imagine sitting on the porch in your Bermuda shorts with a glass of ice tea....

enhance

Sort of self explanatory...

enhance

These were definitely close to the high traffic areas, notice all the traffic!

Houses right out of Norman Rockwell..

enhance

(The church has services only May - Sept.)
enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

\

Ned L

Commander
And if you want to be really bored, ........ here are a couple of minutes from running home. This is about three miles offshore running across "The Race", the open water between Plum Island and Fishers Island.
Basically this is just off of the narrow opening that all of the tidal water in Long Island sound runs through twice a day. It can get real choppy when the wind and current are against each other. This day it was like a pond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjCvod3ETOQ

Hmm, .... can't see how to imbed the video directly in here.....oh well.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Your pics are always like a step back in time Ned !
Thanks for taking us along !

Ned L

Commander
Even though the work is really done and the season is over I guess it won’t hurt to add to this a bit..... And maybe it will make the winter seem shorter. :)

With the nice September we had I took a couple of days and headed for Block Island for an overnight. It had been uhmm,...xx years since I had been to Block, and it was too crowded back then. I hadn't thought I'd ever go back, but this being well after labor day I figured the crowds wouldn't be bad. When I arrived around lunchtime on Sunday the place was definitely crawling with tourists everywhere and it was pretty apparent that everything is for rent (cottages, houses, converted garages, jeeps, cars, bicycles, SUPs, kayaks, basically everything that isn't nailed down.)
Monday was much nicer. Both days being nice for some hot weather walking around the island.
Here are some pics from that little trip.

enhance

enhance

It was certainly a nice flat day to head out there.

enhance

This guy passed well between me and the Rhode Island shore.

enhance

Entering "New Harbor"

enhance

Dropped an anchor for the night. At least there was no problem finding a place to anchor!

enhance

Then did some walking around the island..
enhance

This "Block Island Cowhorn" is in front of the historical society. ..... Not really that old,... built in the 1970's.

enhance

enhance

Here is a picture of the island in the 1880's. Looks like a tough place to eek out a living.
enhance

Tourist time!

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

I found these guys there too.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Here is what people think of when they think traditional Block Island.

enhance

enhance

enhance

"South East Light" was actually moved a couple of hundred yards away from the edge of the cliff 10 or 15 years ago to keep it from going over the edge.

enhance

enhance

.... And the controversial Block Island wind farm. Everyone believed they would ruin the view and be overbearing on the horizon. .... It is hard to believe that each wind turbine is taller than the Statue of Liberty.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

And my view from the boat, ...... not bad.

enhance

enhance

Last edited:

oldrem

Commander
Looks like a great time. Reminds me of many many moons ago when I sailed with friends from Chatham, MA to Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard then finished off at Falmouth.

Ned L

Commander
Monday was a much quieter day and a good day for more walking

enhance

enhance

Some years ago the USCG station on the island was turned over the the town of New Shoreham (the official town that Block Island is). It appears that the CG does still man the station for the busy summer months and leaves it vacant for most of the year.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

I didn't know that beach plums were a fall flowering shrub.....
enhance

enhance

enhance

I met a woman back where the emu tortoise and musk ox is who owns this tug with her husband. They have lived on the island for 30 years and have a house. In the winter they live in the house, and during the summer they live aboard the tug (on an anchor in the harbor) and rent out their house for the season. ....... Back to that "everything is for rent".......

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Then it was time to head back home...
enhance

Ned L

Commander
Thanks guys!

With the season winding down quickly I got out a few more times, .. once was the day right after a real nasty Nor'easter came up the coast and caused quite s bit of havoc for the north east. It made for a bit of a bumpy ride out on Fishers Island Sound, but she was surprisingly comfortable.

Here's a quick video if anyone is interested.

Ahhh, ..... finally got that embedded video thing figured out!

Ned L

Commander
Well, ….. I suppose the season had to come to an end sometime, … even though I had a couple of 'false starts' and last minute cancelations. Things like "my trailer is in the shop being welded" (good enough reason for me), or "I'm not back from Maryland yet with another boat".
Anyway, we finally got it done on November 1st. She was pulled, brought home and covered for the winter.

enhance

No barnacles there! (funny how that happens when you use the boat. lol)

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Somehow it seems really strange not to have anything really to do on her until next spring. A couple of little projects I suppose, but nothing significant.

Hmm, ……… This has actually give me time to get back to my antique Jersey speed skiff (second rebuild) which was on hold for ten years.

I've gotten back into putting a new bottom in her. Lots of rivets to put in and then put her back together,

enhance

enhance