Baseball rules trivia

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Baseball rules trivia

1. A ball that hits the rubber only & then bounces foul is a foul ball.<br />2. I'm guessing homerun. What happened?

gaugeguy

Captain

Ed and Aspeck are correct on the home run, that Canseco play was one of the funniest baseball bloopers I have ever seen. His head is so thick, I'm sure it didn't even leave a mark :D <br /><br />The ball that hits the pitching rubber is a fair ball I believe. The rubber is like a base and if the ball hits it and then goes foul it is a fair ball.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

"Fair Ball!"<br /><br />The runner has 'rights' to the base line.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by Barlow:<br /> "Fair Ball!"<br /><br />The runner has 'rights' to the base line.
Sorry Barlow, a fielder "making a play" cannot be interfered with by a runner, even if the fielder is in the base path. ;) <br /><br />It is even interference if a runner tries to "distract" a fielder while making a play, but this type of interference is hardly ever called, ie when a runner deliberately stops and runs in front of a fielder on a ground ball ;)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

1. Trick question, it's a foul ball if none of the players touched it.<br />2. Home run, E-9.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> 1. Trick question, it's a foul ball if none of the players touched it.<br />2. Home run, E-9.
Is it a home run? Or a 4 base error? Does it count as a hit?

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

hmmmmm,,, no one stated fault of interference .. which would be defined as 'malicious act' .. <br /><br />or <br /><br />.. the illegal blocking, hindering, or obstruction of an opposing player <br /><br />no interference is mentioned.<br /><br />base runner advances.<br /><br />but, now were talking semantics ....

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The ruling as to a home run or error is a judgement call by the official scorekeeper. Me, I'd of ruled it an error...

aspeck

Staff member

I would have ruled it an error also, but then I am not a scorekeeper. I remembered seeing it happen and how it was scored, so I guess I cheated a little.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I remember seeing the play but not whether it was a home game. My guess is that it was and the fact that it was Conseco's 'home scorekeeper' probably helped contribute to Conseco getting a 'hit' call instead of an error call on the play.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Jumped the gun - you guys are right, it was not scored an error, it was a home run.

EFIS

Seaman Apprentice

Why do they call it the world series and then only have americans?

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by EFIS:<br /> Why do they call it the world series and then only have americans?
Pedro Martinez, David Ortiz, Orlando Cabrera, Albert Pujols, Julian Taveras...oh yeah, it's America's game :rolleyes:

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

Don't forget Hideki Matsui of the Yanks.<br />A Japanese player who knows were the money is.

tylerin

Commander

Man at third, pitcher is in his windup, and the man at third attempts to steal home. Catcher (before the ball is released)gets in front of the plate to catch the pitch and tags the runner out....whats the call