Baseball rules trivia

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Baseball rules trivia

Originally posted by tylerin:<br /> Catchers balk Gauge, all runners advance one base. Catchers interference is when a batter while swinging touches the glove of the catcher. Batter gets first base and all runners advance one base
All runners advance, tylerin, or just those forced ahead by the batter?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by tylerin:<br /> Man standing on second base..a sharp line drive hits him while still on the base..... safe or out?
I think safe. Off the bag he's out. right?

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by tylerin:<br /> Man at third long fly ball outfielder touches the ball but bobbles it in the air as its coming down the man on third takes off. A moment later the outfielder catches the ball and throws to third for not tagging up .. Safe or out??
You are correct. I mis-Understood. I thought you meant the guy left Third before the fielder touched the ball.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

This actually happened in a minor league game: runner on third, catcher catches the pitch, takes a potato out of his pocket & throws it over the third baseman's head, then tags the runner who of course attempts to score.<br /><br />what's the call?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

can one of you national leaguers please explain to me the difference between a squeeze play and a suicide squeeze?<br /><br />thanks,<br />jtw<br /><br />p.s. and don't try to tell me it's a bit of arsenic added to the orange juice!<br /><br />[edit - see separate thread]

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

The umpire invoked the good 'ol "No making a farce of the game" rule. Runner safe, run scored.

gaugeguy

Captain

With runners on first and second, the batter lifts a one-out pop-up along the first-base line. After the ump declares "Infield Fly, if Fair," the ball lands on foul ground halfway between home and first, then spins into fair territory, where it is picked up by the pitcher. The runner from second tries to go to third but is pegged out by the hurler. What should the umpire rule?

aspeck

Staff member

Runner is out - he moved after the ball hit the ground and was picked up by a player. New play has started, IMO.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Double play...infield fly = batter's out, runner tagged out at third (assuming 3B made the tag)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

It's not a foul ball until it: a) comes to a stop, b) touches something (such as a player), or 3) passes 1st or 3rd base, in foul territory

tylerin

Commander

Originally posted by jtexas:<br />
Originally posted by tylerin:<br /> Man standing on second base..a sharp line drive hits him while still on the base..... safe or out?
No safe haven inside the lines batters out<br /><br />quote:<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Originally posted by tylerin:<br />Catchers balk Gauge, all runners advance one base. Catchers interference is when a batter while swinging touches the glove of the catcher. Batter gets first base and all runners advance one base <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />All runners advance, tylerin, or just those forced ahead by the batter?<br />All runners advance just like a regular balk

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by tylerin:<br />
Originally posted by jtexas:<br />
No safe haven inside the lines batters out<br />
But if it were a pop fly with less than 2 outs the runner standing on second would be safe. I'm pretty sure that was one of the questions on the rules quiz linked above. Wonder how they word the difference in the rule book.

tylerin

Commander

Originally posted by lakelivin
But if it were a pop fly with less than 2 outs the runner standing on second would be safe.
Thats incorrect Infield fly the batter is out(if someone is at first). Then when it hits the runner on second he too is out. At any time a runner gets hit by a ball in the air or on the ground within the foul lines he is out(on or off the bag). Reason why I've always taught my players to lead off in foul territory while at third. Outside the lines if one is hit its only foul ball

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

tylerin, according to a question on that quiz listed by the American Federation of Umpires there is an exception that would make the runner on second safe. Below is the question along with an explaination and a reference to the exception rule. <br /><br />Question 10: Runners on 2nd(R2) and 1st(R1). No outs. Batter(BR) pops the ball towards 2nd base that the 2nd baseman can catch with ordinary effort. The pop fly strikes R2 who is standing on 2nd base and drops to the ground.<br />WHAT'S THE CALL?<br />Dead Ball. Infield Fly Rule. BR is out.<br />Explanation: This is an Infield Fly Rule situation. By rule EXCEPTION R2 is not out.<br />2.00 Infield Fly Rule Definition.<br />7.08(f)EXCEPTION<br />N.A.P.B.L. Umpire Manual 4.7 which states:<br />4.7 INFIELD FLY HITS RUNNER ON BASE<br />If a runner is touching his base when touched by an infield fly, he is not out, although the batter is out. Further, if the infield fly touches him while on base in fair-territory before passing an infielder, the ball is dead and no runners may advance.<br /><br />link to exception rule 7.08(f)<br /><br /> http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official_info/official_rules/runner_7.jsp

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I guessed correctly on the quiz, but it was a guess. After reading rule 7.08 I suspect there are enough the exceptions listed elsewhere so as to make full knowledge and understanding of the rules the equivalent of a 1 or 2 credit college course, lol.<br /><br />I wonder if the quiz even misses refering to some exceptions. One question was about a fielder hitting a ball with a thrown glove. The answer said ruling is dead ball and all base runners get three bases. If true (without an exception) why wouldn't outfielders always try to knock a home run ball out of the air by throwing their gloves at it? If they did hit it and kept it in the field of play they just turned a homerun into a triple according to the rule.<br /><br />Another question was about a runner on first (less than 2 outs) getting hit by a live ball. Ruling was dead ball, runner on 1st out, batter gets 1st base. Again, unless there is an exception, seems like baserunners would be trying to get hit by obvious double play balls therefore saving their team an out. I've never seen that happen.<br /><br />Oh well, could be worse, take a look at golf rules!