96 Bayliner 2050 - The Dirty Rotten Baystard

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
always build the way you like , these aren't collectors items and typically when you do your own designs they are more useful compared to just getting it out the door as cheaply and efficiently as possible, only time id ever worry about original is if it was a collector boat with heritage that was worth the money with a concourse resto.

Fully agree, the only major plus side I saw was having all the vinyl to use for templates leaving basically no guesswork lol

However I think I'm convinced... custom side panels it is... probably going to need some disco balls and fog machines...

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I personally never think the factory built it to fit my need... yur mileage may vary :) I say go full tilt custom built to as you will use it.
Great vid series BTW, watched all of it last weekend, love the "dad humor"

Thanks for watching... that's the only humor I know lol

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Just spent about an hour and a half looking through pictures of new boat interiors to get ideas and saved lots of pictures... I think i have some good ideas...I may draw something up in the next day or so and post it here for your thoughts/feedback. I'd like to come up with something that doesn't require any sewing so it can easily be fixed if I ever need to down the road, but I don't want it to look like crap cuz I was too lazy to sew it haha

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
look at using pvc board for side panals , takes staples well and easy to clean , plus side is if you want to you could leave it , it will yellow over time but then you could just paint it

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Here's what I'm thinking... I traced the outline of the existing panel so I know it will fit and follow the curves of the hull.... I left the inside so I could use it as a drawing board.

I sketched out some lines for the vinyl and also some pockets for bags and cupholders and speakers and such... this was my first try so I'm skeptical to start cutting but I like it.

20200116_220203-1024x768.jpg

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
While still contemplating any other designs on the side panels, I decided to work on another piece which I plan to basically copy except without the speaker, just a bigger pocket... Gonna get the new pieces of wood cutout and start working on the vinyl for this once my thread comes in from sailrite...

On a side note, does anyone have any recommendations for a source of cheap foam? I don't need high quality stuff since this isn't for seat cushions, just regular old polyurethane foam..

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200121_214226-800x600.jpg Views:	1 Size:	120.1 KB ID:	10827374Click image for larger version  Name:	20200121_214108-800x600.jpg Views:	1 Size:	148.4 KB ID:	10827375Click image for larger version  Name:	20200121_214117-800x600.jpg Views:	1 Size:	89.5 KB ID:	10827376

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
we have both, however, I feel like last time I priced foam at Joann, it was absolutely absurd expensive...

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
dont forget , you can use pvc board for side panels takes staples well and will never rot

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Been following along, love the videos. I found 1/2' thick roll of general purpose foam in the arts and craft section at my local Walmart very affordable. Worked great for my side panel repairs. They might have also carry some that was slightly thicker. I doubled it in a couple areas to make 1" thick. She is going to be real nice when done.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for watching! I actually did some perusing on the joann site and found foam for pretty cheap, especially with a 50% off coupon.

Speaking of videos, new one is up on starting the rewire process.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
home depot or lowes , lowes is as usual a lil pricey but they also have trim boards in pvc so look at that as well for accent pieces

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Hmmm.... I'll have to keep that in mind for other pieces that may need rebuilt... I've already starting cutting up the MDO plywood for parts so I'm gonna use them up for stuff but stuff like seat bases and other things that are constantly getting wet, maybe I'll use the PVC for them.

On a side note... I ran to Joann last night and picked up 3 rolls of 1/2"x24"x72" foam and 2 rolls of 1"x24"72" foam for like 70 bucks, which was a good deal I think...

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yea it all adds up. I like the plastic idea but ouch on the cashola says I.I mean if it's sealed properly not a big deal. Maybe 1/4" plastic board makes sense $$ wise. Not there yet but soon.
I guess the 1/4" will flex too much IDK.
Caught up on your electric vid.... actually stayed awake! :eek:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
when taking into account sealing the plywood and materials used its a wash is what i figured out
plus i liked the idea that it could be flexed where i wanted it to flex with just a heat gun :)

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Finally got all my supplies for sewing... decided to cut a scrap of vinyl to practice and get the tension figured out...
ended up trying to see a double top stitch and it actually went pretty well... I can tell I'm going to have trouble keeping the stitch size consistent since it's not a walking foot machine.

All in all tho, for a first try, I dont think it went too bad.

IMG_20200125_121055-600x800.jpg

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
looks pretty strait!, i cheesed out and did single stitching, i def wasn't good enough to do double stitches lol