'90 Maxum 2100SR - restoration & conversion

PC on the Bayou

Petty Officer 1st Class
During the week, I received the rest of the parts to get everything back togerther. New water pipe and grommet for through the transom, new poppet ball valve for the cooling system, new exhaust manifolds.

Spent a couple hours yesterday evening and got the water pipe and hose on outdrive installed.

This morning, I installed all of the bellows, the gimbal housing, and outdrive. Other than positioning and tightening clamps it wasn't that bad.

This evening or tomorrow i plan to install the manifolds.

One other thing, I got a plumbing pressure test gauge setup and repressurized my block to 16 psig. It held for hours. As a matter of fact, this morning it still had only dropped 1-2 psi. I am pretty confident that my block is OK. 🤞

PC on the Bayou

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got the manifolds swapped out yesterday afternoon / evening. Only a couple of things to reconnect. I do need to get some 1" hose to replace a couple on the cooling system.

I was having fits getting the sifter cables adjusted. It currently seems to be adjusted properly, but the drive won't lock into reverse on the trailer. I am going to check the linkage down by the drive and make sure everything seems to operate correctly (hope I don't have to remove the drive again). If it looks good there, I may put her in the water again and try there with the engine running.

Reserector_

Chief Petty Officer" & 2021 Splash of the Year Win
I was having fits getting the shifter cables adjusted. It currently seems to be adjusted properly, but the drive won't lock into reverse on the trailer. I am going to check the linkage down by the drive and make sure everything seems to operate correctly (hope I don't have to remove the drive again). If it looks good there, I may put her in the water again and try there with the engine running.
Cobra or Merc?
Can you run it on muffs to check it?

Reserector_

If it's OMC Cobra, you'll need some special tools to set the cable adjustment. If it's Mercruiser...I got no experience. I know they're black and they fit the same transom cutout.

PC on the Bayou

Petty Officer 1st Class
Figured it out this evening. The cable was out of position on the drive. It had apparently jumped out of place when I put on the lower unit. Pulled off the drive and put it back in position and readjusted. Seems to work smoothly now.

PC on the Bayou

Petty Officer 1st Class
Spent a couple hours yesterday afternoon installing a couple new water hoses, re-torqueing, and adjusting the trim sensor & trim limit switches.

I think (with fingers crossed) that I have everything ready to go, again, for a launch. I won't be able to do it this weekend; but, hope that maybe I can do it on the next one.

If everything works as expected, then I will have it ready for action a bit later than I wanted, but still before end of summer. There will still be a few little things I want to do, but nothing that will stop me from getting to go fishing a bit.

Last edited:

PC on the Bayou

Petty Officer 1st Class
Tinkered with the boat yesterday; but having trouble getting it to start / run well. Odd since it started and idled quite a while a few weeks ago. Acting fuel starved.

Gonna try to troubleshoot today if I can stand the heat outside.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It could be possible that the water in your oil came from your exhaust manifold. If its cracked on the outside there could be a crack inside too, letting water into the cylinders thru the exhaust valves. I had that issue at one time.

PC on the Bayou

Petty Officer 1st Class
It could be possible that the water in your oil came from your exhaust manifold. If its cracked on the outside there could be a crack inside too, letting water into the cylinders thru the exhaust valves. I had that issue at one time.

I was thinking the same thing. Both manifolds got changed out with new ones.

PC on the Bayou

Petty Officer 1st Class
Picked up a fuel pressure gauge at HF today. Pressure at the carb was 5 psi which from my understanding is good. So, the problem must have been in the carb.

Took off the top of the carb and no gas (or very little) in the bowl. It appears my float valve was stuck. Took it out and blew through. Put it back together and the engine fired right up.

One day this week, i am going to let her run for a bit with the muffs on and check out everything else.

Reserector_

Better stuck closed than stuck open.
You accomplished quite a bit in this oppressive heat.

PC on the Bayou

Petty Officer 1st Class
WOW!! Has it really been that long since I made an update here. Since my last status, I did get the carburetor float adjusted and everything put back together, again. Also have done some cleanup from the mess that I have been making working on her.

With Hurricane Ida, I have been sidetracked and haven't had a chance to test ride yet, though.

todhunter

Canoeist
WOW!! Has it really been that long since I made an update here. Since my last status, I did get the carburetor float adjusted and everything put back together, again. Also have done some cleanup from the mess that I have been making working on her.

With Hurricane Ida, I have been sidetracked and haven't had a chance to test ride yet, though.
I thought you were out cruising around in your fancy finished boat, with us over here still working on ours long forgotten. :)

Reserector_

Similar here. Got mine all figured out, ready to test run, but it's been too hot to be enjoyable, so I've been working on other projects.
Lucky for us, we don't have to winterize for a while yet.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yeah, the weather's just getting nice for boating here. Quite a while to go before any Winter weather.
I'm getting jealous, I sat in my truck for about 5 minutes this morning waiting for the ice to melt off enough to drive to work.

PC on the Bayou

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello everyone. It has been a very busy fall and I haven't had a chance to try the boat until today. Here's what I ran into and need some guidance on.

Previously, I adjusted the shifter and everything seemed to be working fine on the trailer. However, when I put it in the water this afternoon, I had reverse, but no Forward. Re-trailered and brought her home to start investigating and here is what I discovered.

With the outdrive tilted up or the drive turned completely to the left, it seems to shift fine. However, when the outdrive is down and the steering is centered it will shift into reverse, but not into forward. I thought maybe the boot had it in a bind, but I've stretched the boot as far as I can when the tilt is up and it still does the same thing.

Any ideas on guidance? I'm thinking something in the linkage at the lower unit, but I can't figure it out and dont want to just pull it apart again.