81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

I looked into that, but the cost was just ridiculous. From what I have read there are more pros than cons for the rustoleum.

Friscoboater

Captain

Ok, so I am out of supplies, and out of energy. I got what I wanted to get done... DONE!!! The transom layup and stringer layup is finished. All I need to do now is test fit the drive. I need to come up with a rig that will help me drill the holes perfectly perpendicular to the hull.

Here is my plan.

I was thinking about putting down a layer of mat over the whole back end of this thing. If you look at the first of the thread I took out two huge flotation blocks that I am not going to put back at this time, as it really hinders the engine access, and I want to make sure everything is perfect. My thought was it has some structure reenforcement to it. So If I put down a layer of mat on the sides of the hull, will that not help with strength?

Anyway here are the pictures.

I decided to put in some drains at the back of the stringers just in case water gets back there. If you notice the glass is snug up against the stringer. NICE!

DSC09655.jpg

I then put in some little pieces of PVC after i put a ton of resin in the hole.

DSC09659.jpg

I also put down a layer of 24oz Woven as a final skin on the transom. Do i need more?

DSC09658.jpg

Is this enough?

DSC09661.jpg

I cut new floor pieces and glued them in.

DSC09664.jpg

I then put down two layers of CSM to cover everything up.

DSC09666.jpg

How do things look guys? I am REALLY happy about how things are coming.

Friscoboater

Captain

Been following this thread from the beginning, Great job so far!

Thanks alot man. I really like to hear how I am doing. This is really hard work, and if I did not have you guys, or this forum, I am not sure it would have happened.

Al I know is I have used WAY more resin and supplies than I thought.

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That glass on your stringers looks awesome. I wish mine looked that good. Did you do a massive wetout before you put the glass down?

Also, what about Bilgekote. This is what I am doing in my bilge and have read great things about it.

Robert4Winns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That glass work looks great. I've been following this thread from the beginning. You have made great progress. It makes me eager to get mine done.

jcsercsa

Captain

LOOKING Good there friscoboater !!! nice glass work !! I would put one more layer of glass on the transom !! I got almost 50oz on mine , 24 will work But I would feel better if you had one more on there !!

Was your old transom 2 inchs thick ??? ok keep up the good work !! John

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

That stringer did come out very nice. lookin good.

system-f

Transom thickness should be 2 to 2 1/8" thickness for your merc outdrive.

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks for the answerers guys. What do you think about adding layers to the sides of the hull?

Here is where the foam was

DSC09429-1.jpg

Now one without.

DSC09601-1.jpg

I was thinking about laying up more in the sides tabbing onto the deck.

Too Much?

BobsGlasstream

Commander

friscoboater,
That really looks great. You're really getting close now. :cool:
Looks like you really have a lot more room by the engine without those boxes on each side. I have (had) a similar layout on my boat. Was planning to put them back, but you may have changed my mind. :confused:
Keep it going.
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

I just want to make certain that I am not hurting the structure.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

friscoboater,
The only thing I know for sure is that it would add some strength higher up on the side wall.
How much it really matters, I'm not sure. :confused:
Don't forget the cap also adds strength.
Great job. :cool:
Bob

jcsercsa

Captain

I took mine out back there and didnt put it back !! when its bulk like that is there, its just for floation !! John

system-f

Was it just foam or did it have a wooden box around it ? If it was just foam I wouldn't be too worried about it adding much of a structure. My boat has similar foam back on the sides and one side has it ripped out while the other side has it in. I plan on doing no glassing in that area.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice job frisco. I have a similar boat. It's a couple of years newer and little longer, but a Glastron with a similar transom. It had lots of foam between the hull and the sole between the stringers, but no foam above deck in the gunwell area. The foam was especially tight in the stringers near the engine and seem to add a lot of strength. It looks like you already closed up that area though. You could drill some holes in the sole and pour foam, or add a vertical bulkhead or two if you are concerned or maybe layer up more glass on the sole and gunwells. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you're installing a big-block and plan to wake jump.

Here's a picture of the foam:
http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo76/harrije2/boat/IMG_1018.jpg

more pics

I found your thread last night while reading system-f's. I recently posted my 1989 Glastron Futura 227 on the classicg site. I'm replacing my floor and stringers too. What caught my eye was system-f is in Fort Worth, you're in Frisco. I'm in Grapevine. Hi neighbors.

Last edited by a moderator:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Clockwatcher, welcome to iboats! I changed your included picture to a link as the picture was much too large. The forum favorite size it 640x480. You can resize your images right in photobucket with a single click. Thanks!

Friscoboater

Captain

Nice job frisco. I have a similar boat. It's a couple of years newer and little longer, but a Glastron with a similar transom. It had lots of foam between the hull and the sole between the stringers, but no foam above deck in the gunwell area. The foam was especially tight in the stringers near the engine and seem to add a lot of strength. It looks like you already closed up that area though. You could drill some holes in the sole and pour foam, or add a vertical bulkhead or two if you are concerned or maybe layer up more glass on the sole and gunwells. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you're installing a big-block and plan to wake jump.

Here's a picture of the foam:
http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo76/harrije2/boat/IMG_1018.jpg

more pics

I found your thread last night while reading system-f's. I recently posted my 1989 Glastron Futura 227 on the classicg site. I'm replacing my floor and stringers too. What caught my eye was system-f is in Fort Worth, you're in Frisco. I'm in Grapevine. Hi neighbors.

That is so cool that we are so close together. We all need to get together after all of this is over.

My boat was so well taken care of the floor and stringers are in perfect shape. the previous owner had to take up some of the floor for a problem with the full tank. This boat was kept undercover for the past 30 years. The only reason the transom went was due to the bad seal.

As far as the flotation goes, no there were no boxes there at all just the foam. And there is alot of foam under the gunwales and the sides. I just want to make sure when I hit the gas the boat does not twist in half.

system-f

Since you have it apart throw some 1708 back there assuming you have the materials, but I woudldn't worry too much about it. I HIGHLY doubt Glastron intended that foam for anything other than flotation.

I agree, we should all get together.

Friscoboater

Captain

I heard that. I will most likely put down a layer of 6oz on the floor in the back just for added strength and sealant.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is so cool that we are so close together. We all need to get together after all of this is over.

My boat was so well taken care of the floor and stringers are in perfect shape. the previous owner had to take up some of the floor for a problem with the full tank. This boat was kept undercover for the past 30 years. The only reason the transom went was due to the bad seal.

As far as the flotation goes, no there were no boxes there at all just the foam. And there is alot of foam under the gunwales and the sides. I just want to make sure when I hit the gas the boat does not twist in half.

I have no doubt that we'll eventually meet at one of the area lakes. We're on Grapevine most weekends during the summer, usually at the west beach shooting the bull with the other lake trash. I'd like to visit Lewisville. Our boys look to be about the same age.

Your boat was a nice find. It was obviously taken care of properly over 30 years by someone who knew boats. No reason for it not to last another 30 with the work you're putting into it.

Have you found a new motor yet? If so, who'd you go with? I was thinking about talking to these folks (http://www.atk-engines.com/). I saw your old stuff on CL. You know that new 350 will make it zip. I have a 4" hole saw and a big a++ drill when you're ready for threw-hull exhaust :D