81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

I just finished my transom glassing and tabbing, then tabbing again with 1708 and let me tell you 1708 is some neat stuff. Say good bye to any thoughts you had about saving resin.

Don't worry, there is an end in sight.

Friscoboater

Captain

what does the 1708 look like?

Robert4Winns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It looks like you are doing a great job. I am watching this thread with great interest as I will be replacing my transom this winter. I'll be starting my own thread soon. I have to make some room in the garage since it is starting to get cold. Can you tell me where you got exterior grade oak plywood. How does it compare to the fir or southern yellow pine plywood as far as the number of voids?

system-f

what does the 1708 look like?

I will get some pics tonight. When it is wetting out it looks translucent. It is so thick that even though the resin makes it clear it is hard to see through. Some really beefy stuff.

Friscoboater

Captain

I went to six, yes, six boat repair places and they looked at me like I had three heads when I asked for 1708. They said there is no such thing. Al six of them did. What gives?

As far as the Oak ply is concerned I got it through one of my builder buddies. It has almost no voids at all.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

wow i think i am looking at my boat.:D Have you checked out seacast for replacing the transom? I used it and my transom is rock hard and will never need replacement again. Great job so far just think of summer and you will keep up the momentum.

Friscoboater

Captain

I thought about seacast but it was WAY more expensive. I know it would be solid with that stuff.

Friscoboater

Captain

Do you have the same boat? I would love to see pictures.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hey Frisco ...looking good your 1/2 done !
going back together is nice eh!

are you resin coating the opening cut?

either way ROCK ON and keep up the good work,

hey CONGRATS your business is growing in a lousy economy! thats awsome!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks alot Vegas. We kept our overhead low and our service high, and I think that really helped. I just hope things keep looking up.

Yes I am going to resin the hole for sure. I just have not had time since I glued it in. I will hit the project hard starting tomorrow. I gave everyone the day off and I am doing the same.

My little CH air comressor was just not cutting the mustard anymore. It is about 6 years old and has seen some really hard service. I could not use my high demand grinder, or air ratchet. I would have to wait for it to cycle and then I would get about 30 seconds worth of work. The poor thing was just not big enough.

So yesterday I got this.

DSC09643.jpg

It really made a huge difference. My air ratchet about jumped out of my hand.

system-f

Is that the 3 hp 80gallon single stage unit? I have been eying that thing for a long time.

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

I already have one of them , its the welder I like!!!

system-f

I saw the welder and would love to have it as well, but a Hobart 187 would do me just fine.

Friscoboater

Captain

Is that the 3 hp 80gallon single stage unit? I have been eying that thing for a long time.

It is the 60 gallon with the 3.2 for only $399.00! What got me is the air delivery... 10.2 @ 90psi. You just cannot beat that. they are built by Campbell and housfeld (Sp?) and the same unit at Northern tool is 469.00 or something like that. I did have to add a 240v plug there though. Works great.

The welder is a funny story. I had a Ford Explorer back in 2003 and some Taxi driver rear ended me and totaled it. We were flat broke back then could not afford a car payment. So I had to try and fix it my self. The welder was one of the tools I bought to make it happen.

DSC06544.jpg

DSC06551.jpg

DSC06556.jpg

My little one we so cute back then.

DSC06561.jpg

DSC06564.jpg

DSC06572.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

DSC06619.jpg

DSC06644.jpg

DSC06645.jpg

DSC06646.jpg

Ok now back to the boats.

system-f

Very nice job on the Explorer. Yup, that is the compressor I was thinking of. I am flat broke right now...well not comfortable enough to be buying hundreds of dollars in tools and doing the boat. I had a miller 212 that I was keeping for a friend and that thing was awesome. As much as I like the ease of MIG welding, I am a stick weldor and can use it for just about anything steel, stainless, and even thick aluminum.

Frisco, do you go to Lewisville at all? The boat guys I hang with do a yearly trip to Lewisville in the summer and was just wondering.

More boat updates/pics!!

Friscoboater

Captain

We are on Lewisville every weekend in the summer. We just love that lake. I will have lots of work done on the boat tomorrow and through the weekend.

Stay tuned...........!

Friscoboater

Captain

Ok, so this fiberglass crap is for the birds. here is what I did today. I need some input guys on how I did.

1. I put down two layers of CSM on the floor where I had to put the patch in. Is that enough or do i need more?

2. I installed the stringer portion that was rotted. That was easy.

3. I tabbed in the transom. Now this was just CRAP!!!!!!!!!!! I tried using woven roven 24 ounce, and that did not work at all. I then tried the 6 ounce woven and it would not lay down on the back side. I then tried the CSM and it worked pretty good. Is this ok to use for strength? How many layers should I out on?

4. I put one layer of 6 oz woven over the whole transom.

I used 3 gallons of resin and about 10 brushes. There are bubbles galore and I am really worried about it.

Here are the pictures. I am thinking of grinding it all down and starting over.

DSC09644.jpg

DSC09645.jpg

DSC09646.jpg

DSC09648.jpg

DSC09650.jpg

I am BEAT!!!!