81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

I used PL premium for the transom ( gluing the two pieces together and into the boat) and a scarf joint seems to be common practice for joining stringers. I only have heard positive things about US composites though.

Friscoboater

Captain

Is the PL glue as good as gluing with epoxy?

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

A bunch of guys including myself have used it and not had any problems. My transom is very solid. I will also be using the pl to set my stringers. Do a quick IBOATS search on it

Friscoboater

Captain

So I just got back from getting some supplies. I went with the poly resin and I will tell you why. I am tying into the old part of the boat and it is set with poly. I spoke to a boat repair place here is town that was super cool and he said that is what they do. Yes epoxy is stronger and if I was starting from scratch, that is what i would use. I also got a sheet of a/b OAK ply for the transom. Is that ok?

Also when you use the PL glue on the wood do you use a notch trowel to spread it out like you would tile?

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes a notched trowel for the PL. What do you think, are you going to try it out? :confused:

chrisroberts916

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Very informative thread, thanks and keep up the great work.

Friscoboater

Captain

Yes a notched trowel for the PL. What do you think, are you going to try it out? :confused:

I bought some PL premium today, so I think so. I am really scared about doing this and I do not know why. I remodeled out Master Bath down to the studs last year and built a beautiful roman shower, and I am worried about a transom, go figure. I just need to jump in and do it.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

If you want to reassure yourself that PL is plenty strong, put a 1" long bead on the face of a 2' long piece of construction 2 x 4, then clamp another piece to it. Let it cure 24 hours, then try to get it apart.

If you put 1 piece in a vise, then apply lots of leverage, you will get it apart, BUT the actual joint won't fail, it's stronger than solid wood. You will find that some wood has been ripped off one of the 2 x 4's.

Friscoboater

Captain

Got it. i will jump in this weekend.

Friscoboater

Captain

I forgot about a wedding I have to go to with my first mate at noon. I will not be able to get on it until late or it may have to wait until tomorrow. I was all fired up this morning to get started too.

&$#@!!!!

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I know how you feel. I forced myself away from mine Saturday and went down to Austin to do some mountain biking. Now all I want to do is get back to Ft Worth and do some grinding.

Friscoboater

Captain

Well, I feel I did not get as much done as I did today. I started out making a template out of cardboard and then transfered it to the 3/4 inch oak ply. Man that stuff is really tough. it kept kicking back my saw as I cut. I the then used a notch trowel and PL premium glue to join two pieces. I put it on the driveway, parked my truck on it and screwed a bunch of screws in it. I took this time to finish prepping the interior for new glass and paint. I will hit it hard next weekend.

Couple of questions.

1. Are we ok using the PL glue for gluing to the glass skin? What I was planing on doing is trowel on a bunch of PL and then clamping the crap out of it until dry. I then will tab the transom to the boat on the back (yes I can get to the back of the tunnel) and to the bottom of the boat with really thick glass.

2. Do I just coat the transom with resin before I put in in, or do I use a layer if mat?

3. When bedding it to the floor do I just squeeze out a bunch of PL and then fillet it in?

Thanks for all you input guys.

Here is a picture of the complete trailer.

DSC09602.jpg

DSC09597.jpg

DSC09598.jpg

DSC09599.jpg

DSC09600.jpg

This is my clamp after the rain started.

DSC09604.jpg

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

1. I used PL to secure the transom to the fiberglass skin and like I said before it is very, very solid.
2. I coated the whole transom 3 times with epoxy before installing it.
3. I used PL to fillet around the whole transom. I guess in your case just the bottom.

Transom looks good, you will be amazed at how solid it is.

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks for the input. Did you use any cloth on the transom to seal it?

Friscoboater

Captain

I am bumping this for some help. Do I need to wrap the transom with cloth or just seal it with epoxy?

sprintst

Commander

I'm going to use the thickened epoxy for sandwiching the transom but PL 400 should work just fine.

I changed my mind after framing a small basement stub wall that I PL's the bottom plate down to the concrete after nailing it with a Hilti. When I tried to pull the bottom plate out it took the concrete with it :)

I'm going to wrap the top and bottom but just seal the rest with epoxy as I want a dead true thickness. I'll wait with you to hear what the general concensus is.

Friscoboater

Captain

Well here is the transom all glued and ready for resin.

DSC09605.jpg

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

DSC09605.jpg
[/QUOTE]

They suggest three coats of epoxy over the whole transom first, scuffing it up in between each coat. If you plan on installing it this upcoming weekend I would start coating it every night when you get home from work. Then PL it in to the boat after a final scuff on the side that will be glued to the fiberglass skin. Then you glass over the whole transom when it is in the boat. Get a bunch of clamps to hold it in. I found a West System user guide which gives you kind of a layout for coating and glassing using epoxy at a local boat part supplier. Start coating that transom now as it needs time to dry in between coats and you may need to wash it down with acetone before each coat.
Off topic: How do you like those Samsung tv's? I just got a 52" 500 series and I love it but I know you said that you are a professional.

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Take tons of pictures. My transom fiberglass is wavy and I am wondering how it is going to clamp down to the transom.

Friscoboater

Captain

I will take lots of pictures for sure. This forum helped me alot and i want to give back.