81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

DSC09605.jpg

They suggest three coats of epoxy over the whole transom first, scuffing it up in between each coat. If you plan on installing it this upcoming weekend I would start coating it every night when you get home from work. Then PL it in to the boat after a final scuff on the side that will be glued to the fiberglass skin. Then you glass over the whole transom when it is in the boat. Get a bunch of clamps to hold it in. I found a West System user guide which gives you kind of a layout for coating and glassing using epoxy at a local boat part supplier. Start coating that transom now as it needs time to dry in between coats and you may need to wash it down with acetone before each coat.
Off topic: How do you like those Samsung tv's? I just got a 52" 500 series and I love it but I know you said that you are a professional.[/QUOTE]

Samsung is a great TV. The real deal is the new LED. We have been selling alot and man do the look good. I have a 52 530 and it looks great.

Friscoboater

Captain

I am going to start coating tonight.

199q

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am going to start coating tonight.

So what is the plan for coating the transom? are you going to be doing just resin, or coating with glass and resin and leaving the drive area open? I noticed after pulling my motor that the transom is mostly open, and does not have any glass or resin, just a thin layer of paint.

I am following your build very closely because I will also be using polly, and have the same boat!

Keep up the good work though you are kickin butt! :D

EDIT: how are you planning on cutting the drive hole?

Friscoboater

Captain

So what is the plan for coating the transom? are you going to be doing just resin, or coating with glass and resin and leaving the drive area open? I noticed after pulling my motor that the transom is mostly open, and does not have any glass or resin, just a thin layer of paint.

I am following your build very closely because I will also be using polly, and have the same boat!

Keep up the good work though you are kickin butt! :D

EDIT: how are you planning on cutting the drive hole?

I just coated it with a layer of resin only. I am going to put a few coats of that front and back before I throw it in. Then I am going to coat it with mat and resin.

Man this stuff stinks!!!!!

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I guess you are using Poly. My house has the faintest poly smell as my US composites order just got here and you can just barely smell it through the bucket. Are you thining out the resin for your coats without mat? Do you plan on putting mat on the backside or just the front side?

Friscoboater

Captain

It is pretty thin as it sits and it soaked into the oak pretty good. I am not going to mat the backside, just the front.

I totally forgot about the drive hole. I am going to get that cut out before I put any more resin on.

bear_69cuda

Commander

I hope you are wearing a respirator when using poly resin my friend!

Looking good brutha!

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Doing an awsome Job Frisco!!!!!!!!
, been watching your thread for a bit now

we used alot of resin on the back and between layers, matted the front....SOLID AS A ROCK!
clamp the HECK outta it when your resining....we did ours one layer at a time...on the boat...over a period of 3 hours.......

I just cut a rough opening and cut out the final opening with a sawsall once it was all dry, then cleaned the hole up and resined the heck out of it...sealed up good now!
when we were clamping it, we also drilled thru the swim step holes and tightened some bolts thru there to help clamp it in place...use wood on the outside ...dont wanna bust thru the hull!!!

see a bunch of pics of transom going in here

IMG_1117.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

Hey Vegas. Great pics man, and thanks for the tips. I want to see that sleekcraft in the water soon.

Friscoboater

Captain

I just finished the last coat of resin on the transom tonight. This weekend I ought to get it in.

system-f

DId you sand between coats?

Friscoboater

Captain

You bet. I hit it really god with 60 grit on my DA.

system-f

Okay, I figured that was required. I have 120 on my belt sander which should do nicely. Heck I better go out right now and get another coat on while it is warm.

Thanks

Friscoboater

Captain

I just got a cheap belt sander from harbor freight. It should do nicely for leveling out the deck.

Friscoboater

Captain

Here are some pictures of my last coat of resin on the side that will be glued to the boat. I went ahead and put a layer of mat on it and wrapped it around teh backside.
DSC09613.jpg

DSC09615.jpg

Tomorrow I plan to Glue it in and clamp it down.

Friscoboater

Captain

I got to finally work on the boat yesterday after a crazy week at work. We have been looking for a Van for my new employee and that has taken up most of my time the past few day. On top of that it is the week before thanksgiving and everyone wants their entertainment systems installed before then.

So after outfitting the newish van for work on Monday morning I got the transom glued in place. To be honest I was scared to death doing this, but it is done. I am not sure I will get to anything today as i need to get the house ready for guests on Thursday, and the yard needs to be mowed and more mulch needs to added to the beds.

So anyway here is the pictures from yesterday.

Here is the newish van. I need to take it and have our logos put on it after thanksgiving.

photo.jpg

I first cut the hole for the outdrive and used a 1 3/4 holesaw to cut the relief for the steering.

DSC09616.jpg

Dry fitting. Yes the top is a little crooked. My mistake, but it does not matter.

DSC09617.jpg

I used my 1/4 tile trowel to spread out the PL glue

DSC09619.jpg

I used allthread and 2x4 wood to clamp through the hole

DSC09620.jpg

In this picture you can see behind my transom to the tunnel. I am going to glass to this and wrap around to the front. That should make it super strong.

DSC09621.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

This is a really good look behind the new transom.

DSC09623.jpg

DSC09626.jpg

Look what came to visit me.

DSC09633.jpg

So I think I will let this dry really good over the next few days and hit it hard Friday-Sunday. I will then rebuild the bad rear stringer and glass in the new transom. I have to tell you, i feel like there is no end in site. Every time I get to work on it something comes up and I cannot. I just hope I can get this done before spring. I have so many things that I want to do but I just don't think I have the time. Don't get me wrong, I love the business.

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nicely done. Dont look at the project as a huge to do list or else it will overwhelm you. Just think of each task as one small job and complete it this way you do not have to go back. You are kickin a@@, so I would not worry about spring.

Friscoboater

Captain

I was just looking at the clamps that I used. It looks like to pl squished out and onto one of them I am so scared i will not be able to get it off.

Friscoboater

Captain

Well I took the clamps off tonight to see how things looked. Man it is SOLID!!!!! I am not sure why I doubted the PL. I will start tabbing it in asap.

DSC09634.jpg