81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

What is your thermostat operating temperature? Is it the recommended marine thermostat for that engine? The temperature of the water entering the engine has nothing to do with the recorded temperature on the meter. If you are boating on a lake with low temp water for example (Lake Superior) you may have the same scenario as you experience from your faucet. The thermostat controls the operating temperature of the engine. It opens at the time to prevent overheating. You may also want to check both the temp sensor on the block and the temperature guage as well.
How long does the engine runs?
This is my penny's worth.:(

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congratulations Frisco. Looks and sounds great. Try turning down the hose? You may be putting too much pressure to the system. There seems to be a lot of water coming out at idle.

Here's a link to some manual:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=1693398#post

FYI - I didn't verify the links were good because my work ISP blocked them. :rolleyes:

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

wallybme reminded me of something. A few years ago I replaced my temp sensors (mine has 2). I learned they are not all the same. Auto versions did not work in the boat. Did you replace it? If so, do you have the original to test with?

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks for all the help guys.

That merc book still does not show my housing. See the picture I have attached below. There is two places for the tstat to go. against the intake or at the top under the cap. From what everyone is saying it should goes at the top, not against the intake. I just want to make sure this is right. If it is there is nothing to hold water in the block to allow warmup, it is just free flowing. My choke will not even turn off right now.

I have tested my sender and it works great.

Attachments

• GLM13221.jpg
    GLM13221.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 0

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

The thermostat does go toward the top of the housing as you have it. It doesnt make sense to me either but that is where it goes.

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I disagree. I think, IMO, the thermostat go to the bottom . The thermostat as I said before controls the operating tempurature of the engine. If it were to be placed at the top then it controls the operating temperature for the whole system including the risors. If this happens then it takes a tremendously longer time for the operating temperature to be reached and therefore for the thermostat to open and especially with the constant flow of water circulating in the risors. When placed at the bottom the operating temperature is reached faster because of less amount of water (just the engine) For example: if you were to remove the thermostat from an engine (closed system) it will take a much longer time for it to reach the operating temperature. Now consider this situation putting the stat above will take much longer and even much more longer (if ever) in an open circulating system. The two larger hoses at the bottom controls the water circulating system of the engine, The ones at the top the whole system including the risors. Just my humble opinion.

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with your opinion. Personally I would maybe install the thermostat in the bottom. However, manuals and parts sites on the net show the thermostat in the top of this particular housing. Even the one I just removed from an engine had the thermostat in the top of the housing. As I said before, it makes no sense to me. I am a marine and automotive mechanic so I know how the thermostat as well as the cooling system works. Apparently there is some reason for the stat to be in the top. Why is the question I cannot answer. If the thermostat fits in the bottom I see no reason why it cannot go there. I do know the thermstat control the water going out the T fitting on top. Again, why the manufacturer did it this way I do not know. All I can say here is where all the information I have shows the thermostat to be.

frisco, awesome sounding engine. Hope you figure out the cooling issue.

Friscoboater

Captain

I found another post the confirms that is goes at the top. Here is another thought. There are two types of exhaust elbow gaskets. One has a hole to allow water to pass into the elbow and the other just has a tiny little hole that almost blocks it.. I am using the fully open one. Did I use the wrong one?

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is a pic I found on another site. It is in regards to winterizing but is basically the same system. frisco, 2 of the hoses on top of the thermstat housing only allow water flow when the thermostat opens. The other two allow water to pass once enough pressure is built up to push the water past the two valves so to speak on the t-assembly. I think what may be happening here is your garden hose is at a higher pressure than what the impeller pressure would be and may be keeping this tee open preventing the engine from warming up. As you can see in this pic, this is the updated housing but the system is the same as what you have. The circulating pump on the engine technically cannot cause these valve to open because it only circulates the water. I may be wrong but this is what I see between the engine I have with the same housing and this picture. I hope this helps.

coolingsystem.jpg

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found another post the confirms that is goes at the top. Here is another thought. There are two types of exhaust elbow gaskets. One has a hole to allow water to pass into the elbow and the other just has a tiny little hole that almost blocks it.. I am using the fully open one. Did I use the wrong one?

Exhaust elbow? Are you referring to the riser? As far as I know, there are 2 different gaskets that go between the exhaust manifold and the riser. One of these is for a complet raw water cooled system which allows water to pass. The other is for a closed cooling system which has its own cooling system for the block and exhaust manifold going thru a heat exchanger. Raw water goes thru the heat exchanger to cool the closed system water and then the raw water enters the riser and exits with the exhaust. I havent worked on one of these systems myself but I plan on putting one on my boat so therefore have researched it.

Can you get a pic of this elbow you are referring to?

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found another post the confirms that is goes at the top. If this is so then you may want to check on the require temperature opening for that engine. A 163 degrees stat will open much earlier than a 200 degrees. I have a 205 chevy with the thermostat at the top

Friscoboater

Captain

I am using the 143 degree tstat. I tested the mechanical gauge with a lighter and found that it does work.

I think this all lies with the water hose. i think there is just too much pressure there. I think I am going to wait until install it in the boat before running it again. I know it runs and does not leak, and that is all I really wanted to do.

Thanks everyone for the help. it is so nice to have a place where we can put our heads together and think out a problem.

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do not know if that is the recommended marine temperature tstat for that engine, but it seems to me to be too low. That may explain the problem. The thermostat will open upon reaching 143 and this will not give enough time for the engine to reach operating temp. My 305 chevy uses a 195 degrees (close to boiling point of water). You may want to check the specs from someone who has your type of engine for the specs or you may want to try a higher temp. Remember too it has to be a marine tstat. Not quite sure if there is a difference other that the use of a metal that withstand rust or the elements

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey frisco,
I just checked my merc manual and it said that marine tstat our rated from 143 to 160, and never use automotive tstats because the get to hot as you said.
I wish I could get this pic's to copy, The pic shows the entire water flow, even through the tstat, and it looks just like the one you have. I will keep trying.
Good luck
Bob

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hey men great job congratulations, that engine looks beautifull you very close to start emjoying the boat with the family good luck...

Friscoboater

Captain

No worries bob. i am just going to get it installed in the boat before I fire it again. If it still won't get to operating temperature, I will figure it out then.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

No worries bob. i am just going to get it installed in the boat before I fire it again. If it still won't get to operating temperature, I will figure it out then.

I think that's a good plan. You never know, maybe the water flow has enough restrictions coming through the outdrive (I'm only guessing) that it is designed into the cooling system.

Regardless, its fires up, runs good, I think you move forward...