81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

I did my 2bbl rochester and have gone over the merc manual for the quadra jet. It really dosen't look that bad. As soon as the guy from work gives me his quadra jet I will let you know how bad it is.

Friscoboater

Captain

So i am waiting for some resin to cure.

Here is what I did today.

I Added more strips of CSM around the back side of the transom. I dipped them in the tub of resin first and then slopped it on.

I also coated the entire back of the engine bay with a coat of resin.

DSC09698.jpg

Ok what the heck is this? It is under the dash and is hooked to the ignition.

DSC09699.jpg

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

If that box is connected to the ignition I would say it is an ignition module. Basically a computer that changes the signal from a magnetic pickup sensor to a on off signal to fire the coil. Make sure to keep it dry and having it seperate from the engine is a good thing as heat kills them and I am sure for marine use it is not cheap.
True the redline is more related to how the engine is built instead of cylinders. I was just thinking that most of your japanese 4bangers have much higher redlines than the classic american v8's. It also kills me to see souped up little hondas beating classic big blocks.

Friscoboater

Captain

If that box is connected to the ignition I would say it is an ignition module. Basically a computer that changes the signal from a magnetic pickup sensor to a on off signal to fire the coil. Make sure to keep it dry and having it seperate from the engine is a good thing as heat kills them and I am sure for marine use it is not cheap.
True the redline is more related to how the engine is built instead of cylinders. I was just thinking that most of your japanese 4bangers have much higher redlines than the classic american v8's. It also kills me to see souped up little hondas beating classic big blocks.

But my engine is Carb.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Yes but as long as it doesnt have points then it has electronc ignition and that box should be what makes it work. If you had fuel injection the box would also control the injectors.

system-f

agreed, some carbed motors came with eletronic ignition. Take your distributor cap off and take a picture of the distributor.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

friscoboater,
Looks like you are really moving along.
It really looks good.
I agree with the rest of them. It very well could be a electronic ignition.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Bob

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

frisco,

I replaced my switch panel with a Blue Sea panel a few years back. I want to say it came pre-wired and cost less all in one rather than buying the individual parts. But that area is your profession so you may have a better sources. http://bluesea.com/category/5/20/productline/121

Looking good by the way.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Frisco, I love the video, great stuff! Keep it up, summer will be here before you know it!

Friscoboater

Captain

frisco,

I replaced my switch panel with a Blue Sea panel a few years back. I want to say it came pre-wired and cost less all in one rather than buying the individual parts. But that area is your profession so you may have a better sources. http://bluesea.com/category/5/20/productline/121

Looking good by the way.

That is the same stuff I was looking at. Kinda expensive though. It has been many years since I have done 12volt.

yoyins69

Cadet

dude great job on the boat its looks great you really are a handy man you paint cars boat and due your self a lift stan for the boat keep up the good job so I can learn more I am fixin my self my wellcraft its a nova 21 1974 its nice but needs a litter work; ok so keep boating :D

system-f

Jay, if you need any helps with the 12 volt wiring I would love to help. I absolutely love wiring auto/marine stuff and have done some massive wiring jobs on my junk.

Friscoboater

Captain

I just might have to take you up on that Keith.

Ok, so another day another $200.00. I do not even want to look at what I have spent so far. Anyway I got some good feedback on the video I posted yesterday and so I got out the good camera and made a log as I went. Maybe it will help out a new guy somewhere down the road. So I have spent three hours trying to get youtube to take my video. So I will get it fixed in the morning, and upload it.

Progress report
Today I got the Transom holes drilled with a little jog I made

The wife helped hole the bellhouseing on why I bolted in the transom plate for a test fit

Got MORE resin to recoat the holes and outdrive hole.

Went to west marine and purchased bilgecoat, a brass transom drain, and #M 5200.

Went to lowes and got a gallon of Rustoleum White and had them tint the Bilgecoat and the rustoleum to a cream color to match the boat.

Coated the holes and outdrive hole.

Screwed around with the stupid movie crap for three hours.

My little drill jig

DSC09704.jpg

DSC09705.jpg

DSC09707.jpg

DSC09708.jpg

BobsGlasstream

Commander

friscoboater,
Nice progress there, It looks like you you sure moving right along too.
That was an interesting idea with the jig for drilling the holes. :cool:
If I couldn't use my drill press, I was thinking about making one like you use for drilling dowel peg holes.
Good job man. :D
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Frisco, nice gig...you will be writing articles for fine wood working in no time! Did you buy the crimping tool for the brass drain tube? I need to redrill mine in the splash well and the bildge. Let us know how the bildge coat stuff works. Looks good!

system-f

That looks awesome! I cannot wait until I am at that point.

As for drilling the transom, great idea.

My dad use to have a hand drill that had a weird mount on it. The mount had a completely flat surface that was perpendicular to the direction of the drill travel and the drill was allowed to move in and out of the mount. This mount would allow perfectly straght holes to be drilled every time when used against a flat surface and for the life of me I cannot find it.

system-f

A little google and I found something similar. I remember my dad's actually mounting the drill and using its chuck instead of having another chuck, but this was a long time ago.

208060844.jpg

system-f

1. some of my poly is still sticky too, but more so due to lack of temp than anything else. A 500 watt light close to the work is curing it up. If your garage is 82 degrees then maybe you need to coat the tacky stuff with a finishing layer of poly (wax included) or seal it off from air so it can fully cure? Was that elmers poly you bought a finishing poly with wax included? (i think the stuff at lowes IS finishing resin and has the wax from what I have read, Lowes site is down right now). I would fix the stickyness before painting, but maybe the paint will seal it off from air and let it cure? I am not sure.

2. You are interchaging the words Poly and Epoxy and it is confusing me, Jay :)

3. Cool drill mod, cheaper than my drill doo-dad.

4. Are you going to get a new transom seal for the gimbal housing? If so where?

5. Where are you getting your Durabak?