81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

Thanks guys. I have to tell you it feels really good starting this part of the journey. I have requested two samples of Duraback (Cream and light grey) to be sent to me. I could not make up my mind on what color to get. The cream would match the outside of the boat and the grey would match the interior seats. Well after seeing how the bilge turned out I think we are going with the cream. Once all the paint is done and cured I will start with the electrics.

Stay tuned it is going to get really awesome in here.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Man that bilgekote looks great, and from what I hear its very strong. Can you non skid a deck with it?

thrillhouse700

Where do you ask for durabak samples?

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

Just from my experience, I was not happy with Durabak at all. It stained tremendously easily, ripped and cut easily. I put it on my floor thinking it would be a great alternative to carpet, but it just wasn't up to the task.

I used Smooth White, it looked great for about a month:

P6140094.JPG

P6150100.JPG

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

For alternatives to carpet you could use gelcoat, epoxy garage floor coating, or has anyone considdered using spray on bedliner? I personally used carpet because I like to boat barefoot and dont like hot, hard, uncomfortable floors.

thrillhouse700

Not really sure what we are going to use on our deck, carpet is out, don't want to have bloody fish on the carpet. Kiwi grip looks pretty sweet, there is a guy on here that did his boat with it and it looks great.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Darn it, I think that's the second poor experience I've heard on Durbak now. That's pretty well taking it out of the running. I HAVE heard good things about Kiwi Grip. SKIBUM1M, I really don't think epoxy garage floor coating would hold up in a boat. It's made for concrete and would most likely not tolerate any sort of flex at all. I'm really leaning towards marine vinyl for mine at this point.

Friscoboater

Captain

Well crap. That makes two bad reviews I have read. What about just putting sand in the rustoleum? I plan on using snap in carpet like cuda did.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

Well crap. That makes two bad reviews I have read. What about just putting sand in the rustoleum? I plan on using snap in carpet like cuda did.

Well, you definitely could use durabak, and then snap-in carpet over the top. I just wouldn't make it my primary floor covering.

As for how it worked...I would give durabak rave reviews. Using white smooth, I had a nice surface that had some softness to it, and did grip my feet well. When wet it did become a little slippery, but nothing terrible.

I can't say I hated it...I would say that I was disappointed on the durability aspect.

For my new CVZ restore, I still may use it, but it will not be my primary floor surface. More likely to be used to coat the floor with carpert over the top.

I haven't decided though, the floor is sealed well enough that I may just go carpet over the whole thing.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yeah but for what it costs I don't want to hear anything other than it looks great and LASTS. Otherwise I'd soon just go with paint with sand in it.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Strange,

I used 3 coats of textured Durabak. I thought it was indestructible! That was part of what sold me. The prep of the surface is very important. Everything needs to be roughed up with 40 grit before application. Then the Durabak forms a mechanical bond. I dropped suff like anchors, coolers, hammers, and I couldn't even dent the surface. Mine tended to hold dirt due to the three coats of texture. But with some soap, a scrub brush, and a hose, mine looked close to new every time. Again if I did it over again I would use one coat of texture, and three coats of smooth for a top coat. Three textured coats were too much. Smooth Durabak for top coat would be easier to keep clean. I guarantee sand in paint will hold dirt as much as Durabak.

Maybe your best bet is to gel coat the deck?

chrisroberts916

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've been following from the start and have to tell you thanks for the inspiration and the great detail of your post and recent videos.
I do have a question about the elmers product that you coated the front part of the floor with, you said it was from lowes. Is it this elmers epoxy? Can you give me more details on the product if it's differnt? Thanks and keep up the great work.

system-f

I'm really leaning towards marine vinyl for mine at this point.

I had this in my boat, water made a mess under it.

I was going to use durabak too and this really makes me not want to. Carpet is out, retains water agains the deck. We are all usually barefoot and I eventually will get snap down carpet, but for now? I really wonder if rustoleum with some time of texture would work?

Jay, I got the quadrajet today. It is not a marine carb, but except for the J tube, jetting and float settings very close. I am going to rebuild it. No, it is NOT going on the boat, I just want to learn how to work on a q-jet.

bear_69cuda

Commander

BTW,

The rest of the bilge looks so awesome painted!!!!!!!!

Not that I'm trying to sell anyone Durabak, supposedly they coat ship decks with the stuff and drag 1-2 ton moorings across the deck and it holds up. Maybe call them with your concerns and see what they say. http://www.nonslipcoating.com/marine.htm

I still give Durabak my stamp of approval. I will say again I thought three coats with texture was too much, and was not super easy to sweep up dirt. But top coated with non-texture would have made clean-up a cinch.

I'm currently looking for my next project. (maybe a 18-20', 1970's Cobalt with v8) When I do the deck, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do? Maybe textured gel coat? If not then Durabak for sure. I'd really like to have the deck with the moulded texture, found on most gel coated decks now days... Not sure how to do that? Maybe some type of mat with the texture pattern that you lay on the wet gel coat, and remove when dry? Leaving the texture impregnated in the gel coat????

Anyway, what ever you decide I'm sure it's gonna be killer! I'll shut up about Durabak now... :D

robthompson66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, the bilge looks really nice! The boat's looking good. I used light grey durabak on my 16 footer, 2 coats and it looks great and is durable. It gets dirty, but I just scrub it with non-skid deck cleaner and it comes really clean

Rob

BobsGlasstream

Commander

friscoboater,
Yep, Still like the video. I can't get over how good your bilge area turned out. Very cool.
I'm sure what ever you choose it will turn out great.
Bob

reelfishin

Captain

Last spring I helped a buddy redo an old aluminum Starcraft Mariner just for crabbing. He was on a super low budget and the boat was a mess. He brought the boat over on a car trailer upside down.
I cut a new transom from double 3/4" ACX plywood, cut new deck panels out of 1/2" ply, and slapped it all together over two nights and some beer.
He brought over some MAB Rust-O-Lastic paint and a bag of sand. We quick sanded the outer hull, wiped it down with gas, and rolled on a heavy coat of paint. We let it dry overnight, then did the inside. I caulked all seams, then dumped a gallon or two on the deck and spread it around till it was well coated, then sprinkled down some sand all over the flat deck areas, then rolled on a quick second coat.
The goal was to just make it usable as fast as possible, with little concern for appearance. He ran a tiller motor, we cut away most of the splashwell and built a rear bench seat/storage box and added a forward fish box set in the forward floor. The rest was just flat plywood.
I saw the boat the other day, and after being in the water all year, it still looks great, very little growth, no bottom coat was used, and the paint has no wear through marks after a year of pulling crab pots every morning.

I think my next boat will have just paint and sand for it's deck, I'll do more than just painted wood but that paint held up just fine, and he's not one to keep it clean either. It's got an 1/4" of mud and bait on the deck now, it's not slippery and not worn. I'm sure some of the sand broke free and wore off but nothing noticeable. He hauled it to the car wash, scrubbed it down and put it out back upside down for the winter. It most likely won't need anything for next season.

I've tried all sorts of rubberized coatings, pimple mat, coin mat, Nautolex, Tuff coat, and even bed liner, but it all has it's disadvantages or wears too fast. Vinyl and carpet hold water, plain glass and resin is too slick, pimple mat or any rubber or vinyl mat gets slippery when wet or covered with fish oil, and plain paint wears away. The way I figure, go with the cheaper option, and just re-coat it when it wears. Sand is cheap, paint is cheap. Even the best flooring material will look bad after a year of fishing, between the mud, bait, blood, and slime, the floor takes a beating. At least with paint it's an easy fix and it looks perfect again fast.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Frisco, I loved the video, keep it up! I am amazed at how much you guys can do in a garage! I have a 2 car garage...3,500 s.f. storage barn and a 1000 s.f. shop....and I don't seem to have room for all the stuff! Keep up the great work!

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks Arch. I have learned to throw crap away and do it often. That way I have room. I am trying to get approval from my HOA to put is a large shed, but it is proving to be difficult.

Someone asked me to tell them what I used and how I built the boat cradle. So I made a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVMCWe-qrj8

Also I am having Second thoughts about the color of the deck paint. I was thinking of using the cream to match the hull, but the interior is grey. So what do you guys think?