77 Skeeter Restoration

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 77 Skeeter Restoration

Go For IT!!! It'll be the Prettiest substrucure on the lake!!!!

Haha! Yeah, now that I spent the money to buy it, I can't stand not using it!

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Took some pictures of the deck today with the glassing done -

A pic of the main deck - when I had the cap on last week, I marked the deck where it will be exposed (and carpeted) so I knew where all the foot traffic will be - I laid 2 layers of 10 oz cloth in these areas...
100_2069_zpsb7e2bc4f.jpg

I had also bedded in the deck drain - I sanded the epoxy PB down and made a slight taper so that water wouldn't gather and would run to the center of the drain...then I just glassed over the whole thing, planning to drill out the center hole leaving a nice smooth surface for water to run down...not sure how big of a difference this will make, but it made me feel good about it...:)
100_2070_zps64b28f4b.jpg

And a pic of the stern deck pieces - I'm going to place my fuel tank across the gap in the stern - my original 2 7-gallon tanks that fit into the corners were leaking and it was cheaper for me to purchase a new single 14gallon plastic moeller tank than get them re-sealed...and the smallest deck piece sits underneath the live-well...
100_2071_zps93ed7f40.jpg

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

I just got through your thread Fishbone and I have to say that your woodworking skills are premo!! :D

I know that this is an old question that was earlier in your thread but about the air compressor and your DA sander...back in my body shop days I was always told that if your going to use a sander that you want an air compressor with at least a 5hp motor and the bigger the better in tank size. I know that can be pricey and you have probably solved that issue. Just my 2 cents worth of info.

I am signed on now and following along!! Thanks for the fun and informative thread :)

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just got through your thread Fishbone and I have to say that your woodworking skills are premo!!

I know that this is an old question that was earlier in your thread but about the air compressor and your DA sander...back in my body shop days I was always told that if your going to use a sander that you want an air compressor with at least a 5hp motor and the bigger the better in tank size. I know that can be pricey and you have probably solved that issue. Just my 2 cents worth of info.

I am signed on now and following along!! Thanks for the fun and informative thread

Thanks Glenn! Glad to have you following along! And thanks for the input regarding the compressor -

For most of the sanding on the cap I ended up going with a Hitachi electric sander that WOG recommended, and couldn't be happier with the results - now looking ahead to sanding and painting the hull, I'm currently planning on continuing with the electric sander at this point, although I just had an offer from a close family friend who has a woodshop with a "monster-pressor":D that I can use to shoot it with paint, or even for the sanding too...haven't made the final decision yet, it will probably come down to my availability and whether or not I can work on it for a few days in a row...I don't want to have it get in his way sitting there too long.

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had to sit down and plan out my next steps - especially given cooler temps now, and that if I want to do more epoxy work, I'll need to order more...

Hull:
-trailer to the in-laws
-flip over
-sand/fairing
-paint (Valspar/WOG method)
-I'll probably let it sit for the winter before flipping it back over in May or so...we'll see...

Cap:
(This fall)
-Ideally, I'd finish the glassing and bow fishing platform work before it gets too cold
-re-enforce gunwales with additional plywood
-finish the patch jobs in and around the splashwell
-glass the underside of the console pieces

(This winter)
-preliminary wiring

(Spring)
-flip cap back upright
-fairing/sanding
-cap back on the hull

We'll see what gets done, most of this may get pushed back to winter and spring if the weather continues to get cold- I'm interviewing for residency positions right now, so I haven't had as much time to spend in the garage.

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

On a side-note -

I drove past the Grand Traverse Bay looking out on Lake Michigan this morning - it's one of those glassy-calm days that just makes you want to hit the water! Can't wait to get this boat done and start fishing!

Fishbone,

Great looking project so far! I sent you PM earlier, wanted to view your handy work before sticking my foot in my mouth!

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great looking project so far! I sent you PM earlier, wanted to view your handy work before sticking my foot in my mouth!

Thanks Slab! Got your PM - hope my reply helped! Glad to have you on board!

Got the hull over to the in-laws today - looking to start sanding/fairing this weekend weather pending! I'm going to have to put the cap work on hold for now until I get some more epoxy...

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hoping to get out and work on the hull this weekend! Going to start by flipping the hull, and will build a stand that fits to the trailer. Then set the hull back on the stand for sanding - will post pics!

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Looking forward to seeing your progress :)

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking forward to seeing your progress

Thanks Glenn,

It's been a little more slow-going lately - cold weather and I've been busy with work and applying for residency positions...but I'm excited to get out and do some work on it this weekend!

a1964rn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good looking boat, and great job on the restore! Just starting a restore on my 1980 Tidecraft, which looks similar to this boat. Got some good ideas and looking forward to getting mine complete. Like you, I'm using epoxy resin. Good luck on the residency. I'm an RN and having worked with residents, I definitely don't envy you, but it will be well worth it in the long run.

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good looking boat, and great job on the restore! Just starting a restore on my 1980 Tidecraft, which looks similar to this boat. Got some good ideas and looking forward to getting mine complete. Like you, I'm using epoxy resin. Good luck on the residency. I'm an RN and having worked with residents, I definitely don't envy you, but it will be well worth it in the long run.

Thanks a1964rn! Good luck with the Tidecraft - It makes for an awesome project! Yeah, the interviews themselves aren't that rough, but the travel takes a lot of time - but like you said - well worth it in the long run!

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey All,

It's officially spring - I'm back getting ready to paint the hull of the Skeeter - In respect to the new red-band policy, I'll be continuing this thread under "77 Skeeter Restoration Continued".

Thanks for following and all the input!

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class
77 Skeeter Restoration Continued

77 Skeeter Restoration Continued

Hey All,

It's spring here in Michigan, so my boat restoration project can continue! Since I took the winter off and my prior thread has been inactive for >90 days, this is the continuation to my prior thread "77 Skeeter Restoration".

On the agenda for this spring:

1) Painting the hull

2) Continued Cap alterations and "enhancements" ;)

3) Painting the Cap

Will definitely keep posting, and would love any input!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi fishbone and welcome back from the deep freeze...

According to rule # 12, you can revive your own thread...no need to start a new one...

12. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months UN-LESS you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread. This is considered a hijack. Please start a new thread of your own.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 77 Skeeter Restoration Continued

Fishbone, it's perfectly acceptable for YOU the OP to continue to post to your original thread not matter if its 10 yrs old. That RED warning ribbon is just for All others NOT to post to it. Go back and bring it back to life so we can all get back On Board and Catch up!!!!

Welcome Back!!!

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh awesome! Back to the original then!

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks GT and WOG! I will continue the thread here!

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Finishing up my last week of school - in the meantime, I double-checked the transom holes I drilled last fall, and am in the process of ordering paint for the hull. I'm planning on flipping the hull next week, then I'll sand, fair, and ultimately paint!