77 Skeeter Restoration

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 77 Skeeter Restoration

what method did you use to apply the primer that looks fantastic.... Was it the WOG method? First coat of paid looks great too.

Thanks sevanseriesta - for the hull, I'm actually putting on antifouling paint...It's way overkill for a boat that will be trailered between uses, but I periodically take longer fishing trips, and didn't want to think about pulling the boat out of the water every few days. I will be using WOG's method for the topside when I paint it later this summer.

The primer is Blue Water High-Build Epoxy Primer. According to the manufacturer you can use this primer under either paint or gel-coat. I did 4 coats. I really liked the product's results - after talking with the company rep, they actually recommended just a roller application, so it was very easy, and the high-build actually helped conceal some of the imperfections that I had not bothered to fill!

The High-Build Epoxy Primer...

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 77 Skeeter Restoration Continued

Re: 77 Skeeter Restoration Continued

Great job! Looks Fantastic!

Thanks GT1000000! I'm trying to see if I can get 5 coats out of the paint that I bought - I should get at least 4. 24 hrs between coats, so I'll be painting for a while:D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well since you didn't use the WOG system... all I can say is that's the Worst lookin paint job I've ever seen. I can't believe you would put that boat on the water. That paint will let water leak in like a seive!!!!!:laugh::lol::faint2::D

Now, for the Rest of the Story...WOW!!!!! That really looks nice. From the sound and look of it, the paint was easy to apply leveled out really well. Based on what I've learned about the paint it should wear like Iron and put your mind at ease for those 2-3 day fishing trips. Can't wait to see the Finished Product...She's gunna be a Beaut!!!

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well since you didn't use the WOG system... all I can say is that's the Worst lookin paint job I've ever seen. I can't believe you would put that boat on the water. That paint will let water leak in like a seive!!!!!

Now, for the Rest of the Story...WOW!!!!! That really looks nice. From the sound and look of it, the paint was easy to apply leveled out really well. Based on what I've learned about the paint it should wear like Iron and put your mind at ease for those 2-3 day fishing trips. Can't wait to see the Finished Product...She's gunna be a Beaut!!!

Thanks so much WOG! I'm really happy with how it's coming out so far... I was really surprised at how its leveling out without having to do a spray application. Now after I finish painting the hull, I just got to finish getting the cap ready for paint!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm betting you'll do a fantastic job on that as well!!! Let me know if I can be of any help;)

sevanseriesta

Petty Officer 1st Class

It really does look good, how much paint did you get and what did it cost? Do all the corners look as good as the flat parts? And how did you do the corners?

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

It really does look good, how much paint did you get and what did it cost? Do all the corners look as good as the flat parts? And how did you do the corners?

Thanks sevanseriesta. Here's what I used for Primer, Paint.

Primer: 2 gallons of Blue Water Marine High-Build Epoxy Primer
Paint: 2 gallons of Blue Water Marine 45% Copper Ablative Antifouling Paint (Moderate Fouling Conditions)

The primer ran $82.60/gallon on iboats.com, and the paint was about $120/gallon. The yield for both is approximately 400sqft./gallon. For for my 16' boat, I got 2 coats/gallon out of the primer, and am getting a little over 2 coats/gallon from the paint.

I guess since I did not sand all the way down to bare fiberglass, I really didn't need to use the primer, and to get the recommended 2-3 coats of antifouling paint, I could have done the hull for $120 paint cost (1 gallon of paint). But I'm glad I used the primer because it helped conceal some scratches that I didn't bother filling, and I'm trying to get 5 coats out of the antifouling paint so I dont have to reapply for a VERY long time:rolleyes: But, it's not the first time I've overbuilt on this project:facepalm:

For the corners, I just ran the roller over the edge after doing the flat parts to even out any drips. I'm using a 9" roller but I have a small 6" roller to get into the tight areas too.

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went back out to the barn where I'm painting the hull - ran into a couple of small problems. First, we had a large rainstorm yesterday and there was a slow leak in the roof so I got a few drops of water on the hull. Also, there is some siding up in the rafters and a mouse or something ran along one of them and knocked a line of dust and pine needles down across the hull. Fortunately the first coat of paint had cured enough that neither of these caused any damage - I fired up the air compressor and was able to blow the dust off without any problem. But to be on the safe side, I tied up a drape to catch anything else that would fall on the boat while drying...

Last edited:

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

I Love "Plasticizing" Stuff. Looks good to me!!

After all the hard work, I can't let anything ruin it! Haha - The inevitable mosquitoes are bad enough:laugh:

Out for coat #4 today... It's looking like I'll have enough for at least a partial 5th coat, and then I'll let it cure for 2 weeks. I'm tempted to take some of that curing time and let it cure hanging from the sawhorses while I re-do the trailer...

Is the trailer something that could be done in a weekend or two if I dedicated the time to it??? For my trailer, I will need to grind the rust/paint down, do some minor welding, and then prime/paint...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, trailers aren't that tedious unless you run into some major welding issues. 16 hours of steady work will put you way down the road to having a finished trailer.:)

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, trailers aren't that tedious unless you run into some major welding issues. 16 hours of steady work will put you way down the road to having a finished trailer.

Thanks, that's good to hear:joyous: If I can squeeze it in, I'll probably just go ahead and do it then... I'll just have to see when I can get back out to my in-laws (where the hull and trailer are)... In the meantime, I'll keep moving on the cap in my garage.

Just got in from putting on my 4th coat of paint - looks like I should be able to get most of a 5th coat on tomorrow before running out of paint, so that's pretty exciting!

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK - I talked with my father-in-law and he's going to help me with the trailer, so it's a go... To do it, I'm going to leave the hull suspended from the sawhorses I built while the paint cures and I work on the trailer... I do have a question - I want to do final installation of my bow-eye and tie-downs and hang the hull from them - what product do people recommend using to seal/bed the bow-eye and tie-downs?

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got out this morning and put the last coat of paint on the hull! I ended up getting a full 5 coats out of 2 gallons for my 16' boat, so the finish should last a long time... Now it needs to sit for 2 weeks to fully cure, so I'll be working on the cap and also the trailer...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

ok - i talked with my father-in-law and he's going to help me with the trailer, so it's a go... To do it, i'm going to leave the hull suspended from the sawhorses i built while the paint cures and i work on the trailer... I do have a question - i want to do final installation of my bow-eye and tie-downs and hang the hull from them - what product do people recommend using to seal/bed the bow-eye and tie-downs?

3m 5200

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Going to pick up some 3m 5200 tomorrow and mount the bow-eye and tie-downs! Then I'll start grinding on the trailer probably Thursday.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Do you have backer plates for the Bow Eye and Tie Downs?