77 Skeeter Restoration

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 77 Skeeter Restoration

Got out and cut the holes in the deck for the tackle storage -

Almost ready to flip the cap back over...

jbcurt00

Staff member

The tackle box storage is open to the bilge below? Nice work so far.

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

The tackle box storage is open to the bilge below? Nice work so far.

Yeah, one if the reasons I switched from my original plan was concern over drainage because the hatches will be facing upwards... The downside will be if I drop stuff down there, but I guess that the holes are large enough for me to reach after stuff that got dropped.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Just a thought, maybe you could glue in some window screen to the opening using hot glue or urethane glue...it will still drain, but if you drop something, it won't go far...

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a thought, maybe you could glue in some window screen to the opening using hot glue or urethane glue...it will still drain, but if you drop something, it won't go far...

Great idea! I'm going to do that! I bet I can even find some mesh at Home Depot or Lowes!

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Working on the trailer today... I almost have the whole thing ground down.... I'll finish up the grinding tomorrow morning, prime, and the goal is to get my first coat of bedliner on!

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Finished wire-brushing and priming the trailer today ... Was good to get that done - I'll get back to it next weekend hopefully to put on the bedliner and put everything back together - the garage stall is getting a little crowded, so it will be good to get this done!

Last edited:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Even in primer, it has got to feel real good...nice accomplishment!

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Even in primer, it has got to feel real good...nice accomplishment!

Sure does! Haha - It was a lot of grinding! I ended up going through 4 wire-wheels, and I burned out my old cheap-o angle grinder! Oh bummer... That meant I just HAD to buy a new Dewalt:D

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tonight I got the cap flipped back over with the help of a couple of very good friends! Now, I'll work on finishing up the casting deck and making the cap ready for paint!

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Getting off work early today - will get to work on the cap this afternoon! Planning on finishing up the casting deck, also sanding, fairing and grassing the topside as needed...

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Picture of the cap right side up...

Started with a pattern for the casting deck...

New casting deck in place...

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got the trailer almost finished today!

Last coat of primer on...

All the cans...just a few...:laugh:

And then in bedliner...

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

FB, If you do anymore painting and don't have a compressor and don't want to invest in sprayguns etc...
go to HomeDepot and Invest 5 bucks in one of these...
Preval 9 oz. Complete Spray Gun-267 at The Home Depot
Replacement Power Units are $4 bucks. One Power unit will shoot the equivalent of 3-4 cans of spray paint. You can shoot the Rustoleum Primer and Paint with it. It works really well and you can even shoot gelcoat with it.

Trust me on this one, You'll love it.:D

Last edited:

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

FB, If you do anymore painting and don't have a compressor and don't want to invest in sprayguns etc...
go to HomeDepot and Invest 5 bucks in one of these...
Preval 9 oz. Complete Spray Gun-267 at The Home Depot
Replacement Power Units are $4 bucks. One Power unit will shoot the equivalent of 3-4 cans of spray paint. You can shoot the Rustoleum Primer and Paint with it. It works really well and you can even shoot gelcoat with it.

Trust me on this one, You'll love it.:D

Thanks WOG! Yeah, that sounds a lot easier. Would that sprayer give a good topside finish with the majic paint?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yes it will. It's an amazing system for 5 bucks. I use it with Majic, Rustoleum and Valspar and it works great with all of them. 15% thinner and shoot away!!!! Follow the instructions on the box. Almost fool proof.