77 Skeeter Restoration

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 77 Skeeter Restoration

Yes it will. It's an amazing system for 5 bucks. I use it with Majic, Rustoleum and Valspar and it works great with all of them. 15% thinner and shoot away!!!! Follow the instructions on the box. Almost fool proof.

Excellent... That's the way I like it!:D

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Finished wire-brushing the rest of the trailer parts...

And then got them in primer...

sevanseriesta

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks good, ,I noticed the compressor in the background of the last pic, do you not have a spray gun?

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks good, ,I noticed the compressor in the background of the last pic, do you not have a spray gun?

Yeah, it's only a small one - 1.25 hp, so not really enough to run a sprayer - I do have access to a large compressor though which ill probably use when I paint the topside.

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm hoping to make some more progress tonight - I still want to put a couple more coats of primer on the small trailer parts, then bed liner. Hopefully will get that done and then start making tracks on the cap again...

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, it's only a small one - 1.25 hp, so not really enough to run a sprayer - I do have access to a large compressor though which ill probably use when I paint the topside.

Question: when spraying, do you need to put some sort of dehydrator on the compressor?

sevanseriesta

Petty Officer 1st Class

The compressor that I bought had a water catch on it, I think it is a good idea but I don't know much about spraying!

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got out tonight and put the last coat of primer on the trailer parts...

I also coated the casting deck plywood with epoxy...

Finally, I marked out the hatch lid dimensions on the old glass and removed the old glass from those areas - this will leave about 1/4" thickness for a weather seal to be installed...

sevanseriesta

Petty Officer 1st Class

Impressive work keep it up... I think those compartments are going to work out perfect for you!

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

More work on the casting deck -

I took some 1/4" plywood, and cut it to fit between the new hatches where there was no original glass...then I sealed it with epoxy and prepped it to be epoxied in place...

Then I mixed up some mayonnaise and epoxied in the filler-piece and the casting deck...now in clamps...

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will probably start with the bedliner on the remaining trailer parts this afternoon or tomorrow - pics to come...

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got out today and put bedliner on the remaining trailer parts, unfortunately ran into problems with some blistering of the finish...

Will have to grind down some of the parts and redo them...pics to follow...

jbcurt00

Staff member

Got out today and put bedliner on the remaining trailer parts, unfortunately ran into problems with some blistering of the finish...Will have to grind down some of the parts and redo them...pics to follow...

Blistering almost immediately or after a bit? We use an alphatic resin that came from bedliner tech, and almost 100% of the time, blisters form after 4-6hrs post application, and is generally moisture. Sweat drips usually, and even when wiped immediately w/ an acetone rag, there's enough minute traces left behind to blister...

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Blistering almost immediately or after a bit? We use an alphatic resin that came from bedliner tech, and almost 100% of the time, blisters form after 4-6hrs post application, and is generally moisture. Sweat drips usually, and even when wiped immediately w/ an acetone rag, there's enough minute traces left behind to blister...

Blistering like within a couple of hours - it's weird, because in primer there was no blistering, but after a coat of the bedliner, the blistering is of both the bedliner and the primer... It affected 6 parts last night that ill have to redo - I didn't look this morning before leaving to see if more developed overnight

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Took a look at the parts tonight after work - it looks like only the 6 parts were affected - after thinking about it, a weather front came through about the time I was painting those parts - I think Jbcurt is on the right track - might be that the pieces at that time started to sweat a bit with the temperature drop and the humidity.

Hopefully will get out tomorrow to wirebrush them down again and get them back in primer...

On a positive note - all the new lights, wiring, and new parts for the trailer were delivered today - if I'm lucky, I may still be able to get the trailer put all back together this weekend!

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's the pics of the blistering...glad it wasn't all the parts:

Blistered edge:

How it should look:

jbcurt00

Staff member

The primer is porous, that's why it's good base to start from, & why you never want to leave metal in just primer too long, it'll let water in :mad:

IMHO: Your topcoat was cured enough the moisture couldn't force it's way out thru that direction, so it penetrated the primer. It was still trapped beneath the paint so it blistered.

I'd go to bare metal at the blisters, re-prime & topcoat again. Hopefully w/ less humidity & moisture. :)

Good luck.