77' 16ft Starcraftt ss

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Picked up the rest of the screws I needed to tie the deck sections together. Also picked up (2) 2" 4x8 and (1) 1" 4x8 pink foam boards today. Everything that I can think of is on hand to complete the deck, now all I need is time.

On a crappy part The shady A/C guy that was hours late and tried to have us buy a new system must have packed up my handy cordless dewalt drill by accident? (just bought a replacement for it) He was bad enough that me and the wife wrote it off because neither of us wants to deal with him. (the complete story of this guy is too long to type:crazy:) The second A/C guy was spot on and fixed what the other had tore apart. All we had to replace were two things that were still under warranty. Lessons learned!

Hoping to have some updates by sunday. :livid:

Tnstratofam

Commander
Glad to heat you've got your stuff gathered up for installing your deck. Sorry to hear you had a shady A/C guy. They give the rest of us honest ones a real bad name.:mad: Looking forward to updates. Have a great rest of the week.:)

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
That front bow piece ought to be good and stout! my original front piece wasn't sealed and it was still perfect. Good luck on the floor, fitting the foam was the most difficult part for me, but even that wasn't bad, measure,cut, shave, fit etc...

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Glad to heat you've got your stuff gathered up for installing your deck. Sorry to hear you had a shady A/C guy. They give the rest of us honest ones a real bad name.:mad: Looking forward to updates. Have a great rest of the week.:)

We know not everyone is bad out there! 2nd guy was curtious, nice, and professional!

That front bow piece ought to be good and stout! my original front piece wasn't sealed and it was still perfect. Good luck on the floor, fitting the foam was the most difficult part for me, but even that wasn't bad, measure,cut, shave, fit etc...

It is really solid compared to the old. Ill still clean it up to look better, Im sure it will last a few years as it.

So I have a 24 hour shift tomorrow, which means Ill sleep most of saturday. Friday will however give me time to research the deck install and laying the carpet down with glue.

Anyone have good tips of "what not to do", "or lessons learned" from this? Videos or links to detailed posts appreciated!

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Found this on a link to basspro: The Steps
Step 1: Remove deck pieces from the boat.

Step 2: Place the plywood pieces on the underside of the rolled-out carpet.

Step 3: Draw a chalk line 3-4 inches outside the perimeter of the wood. (This overlap should be adequate enough to be stapled onto the back during the last step.)

Step 4: Carefully cut the pieces of carpet with some share scissors.

Step 5: Apply marine carpet adhesive by following the directions carefully, ensuring an even and consistent spread. (For most adhesives, it is applied directly to the deck.) If curing is required before affixing the carpet, allow the correct amount of time.

Step 6: Stretch carpet across the deck as effectively as you can during the gluing stage. This will ensure no "wrinkles" appear once completed.

Step 7: Use heavy-duty staples to secure the overlapping carpet to the back of the deck. Ensure that the staple length is less than the deck width itself (don't laugh — I have seen this happen!).

Step 8: Fit finished deck back onto boat and secure with screws.

So what Im thinking is to:

Lay the carpet out and lay the deck out on it. Trace it out and cut it with some overlap. Then fold over and staple the carpet to the underside of the transom end piece. When I put it back in the carpet will be folded over the transom and as i glue I pull it forward kinda thing. Does this make sense?

Cant forget to actually secure the deck in there before I start gluing it all down.

Last edited:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Fun with Microsoft paint. I think im going to like the blue carpet on the deck. Still have to figure out the rear seating options.

image_223042.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Not bad artwork, Gone. I can't draw stick figures, even using a computer program. :doh:

dozerII or budski have some carpet gluing tips somewhere in their threads.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Man what a pain. I feel like im rushing and im forgetting things. I had the foam in and nice. Then forgot that the pieces that tie the sections of the deck in wouldnt work. So took a lot of the foam back out. Then putting the deck in to secure, And I forgot to mark were I had to drill through the ribs and z brace. Plus measure how far off the bulkhead to drill. Im not gonna do that carpet method to a T as mentioned above. That would work better if the deck was one fluent piece instead of several. Im at a pause now because the admiral is shopping and im home with the kiddo's. Next weekend is a 4 day weekend for me, So hopefully its full of sunshine. Too bad im too tired during the week to get a few hours in every night.

Good news is that its still getting there a little at a time. I shouldnt be in a rush because I dont even have a motor yet. But the sooner it's ready for one, the less Ill feel like I have to be outside doing something.

I think Ill be filling the seats I decide to go with full of foam also. Wethere they are boxes or full benches. Probably leave enough space for batteries and fuel tank though in some of it.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
ok, Made up for lost time. got 2 pieces in. the rest will probably have to wait till next weekend.

20150628_182459_resized.jpg

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
GF, I hear you on the being too tired after work thing. My job is physical labor with long hours. I'm 43 and already too old for it. It's really difficult to get much done after my shifts. I need a new job :D.

I did sort of what you're talking about with the carpet on each panel but with vinyl. I like the way mine came out, and I can remove the deck without wrecking it if I ever need to.

bGzclOU.jpg

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
...and I was able to get some foam outside the stringers, too, but it may not be worthwhile on a 16'er.

X6TKTXM.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Decking looks real good, sealed up and riveted down nice n tight. :thumb:

The shape of the bottom on these boats doesn't allow for much foam to go under the decking so every little bit helps for sure. In my Chief the majority of the under deck space for foam is a belly fuel tank so I wasn't able to get very much foam in like I wanted. You can only do what you can but just make sure every little bit goes in that you can squeeze.

will w.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Coming together nicely, gonefishin! You guys are making me a bit jealous, its just not the right season for a complete restore for me.

will w.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
GF, I hear you on the being too tired after work thing. My job is physical labor with long hours. I'm 43 and already too old for it. It's really difficult to get much done after my shifts. I need a new job :D.

I did sort of what you're talking about with the carpet on each panel but with vinyl. I like the way mine came out, and I can remove the deck without wrecking it if I ever need to.

bGzclOU.jpg
Hey! enough of that too old stuff, I,m also 43, for another week anyway.:) But yeah I do hear you guys, 10 hour days and 2.5 hour total drive times make it rough to stay on anything during the week. I start something after work and I get a second wind then cant sleep.

Sharp looking floor! Nice clean look.

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
great work gon... It's all progress so it's all good!

Cheers!

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Deck looks great! I like how you wrapped each section, will make it much easier if you need to replace a section.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Oops! Great job chemical wire! I'm sure yours will look great as well GF.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
I was wondering why there was a splashwell in the pic. I guess I inhaled too many carb cleaner fumes today.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Im not that good candutch, that was chemicalwire's boat he did! It does look nice though!

Hey, I appreciate the kind words, but I'm a total hack! I got lucky on that deck job. I posted that in response to your plan to wrap the individual panels, but laying carpet on the whole deck will work great too. What you've got down so far looks excellent.