77' 16ft Starcraftt ss

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
So I was busy again today, not many pics for it but got a lot done. I decided to cut the transom pieces and get them smash glued together with clamps and tite bond glue. When I do this transom again I will do this step before sealing next time. So they are sandwiched together and clamped for the next few days. Also flipped the boat back over and it looks better upside right. Put a few nicks in the bow paint, but whatever its a hunting boat.

Scary part of today- I brought my dog outside when I went out to wipe dripping glue from the transom sandwich. I usually keep her on a rope, but this time it was a short trip out and she usually sticks to the front yard. This time she ventured across the street? So when I whistled the "where are you, come here" whistle, she happily ran back over right in front of a car and was hit. The poor girl that hit her was a mess, it wasnt her fault it was mine for not have her leashed. Luckily this woman isnt one of the people that fly down my street and was able to stop without the tires going over her. She was knocked down under the front bumper and dragged roughly a foot. Anyhow, I ran my pups to a vet for a check up and shes just got a scratch or two and her lungs sound fine to the doc. Im gonna get it when momma gets home. It could have been worse

Last edited:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Same here Hayko. She's holding up fine Im just glad she only got under the bumper and not a tire! Shell probably feel sore tomorrow so the vet gave us some medicine to help her out.

So I was flying this morning before the pooch incident. I went from just gonna cut the wood and flip the boat to gluing all together too. Phone was inside and I was on a role so here is where its all at for the next few days.

20150519_143455_resized.jpg

Transom clamped and weighted with the kitchen back splash tiles I am supposed to be putting up. Ooops

20150519_143505_resized.jpg

You can see my cuts are angles and not curves like the transom skin.

20150519_143520_resized.jpg

Admiral says she can sleep upstairs tonight. All it took was a near death experience.

20150519_161824_resized.jpg

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Just catching up with ya.. Looks good..:encouragement:
Nice looking stool you made..

Thanks Decker, still waiting to see what you been up too once your hand stops vibrating from that rivet job.

Glad your pup is okay, they are just like kids, lovem to death.

They sure are dozer. My last one got 3 knee surgerys from chasing squirrels and lizards (Shes still kicking with the inlaws in Fl, I think shes 9 now). Vets arent cheap either. Luckily this vet trip didnt break bank. But would have if need be.

Last edited:

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
The transom cuts nice and easy with a circular saw and a jig saw after its all laminated up... It was easier for me than trying to match up 2 pieces lol.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Uh huh,:photo: around here you know the number one rule... :rolleyes:

Decker83

Commander
Glad to hear your dog was not hurt very bad.. She is a great looking dog.. Give her all the TLC she needs..
My last dog I had for 18 years before we had to put him down.. Broke the Admirals heart.. Didn't do much for mine either..

The boat looks good sitting on the trailer.. The transom should come out nice and flat with all the clamps you used..

Not fair showing the great looking fish while all our lakes or closed because of high water..:)
Have a great holiday weekend..

hayko1971

I have no idea what a cobia is, we don't have them fancy fish around these parts, but it sure looks tasty!

Itsogood

Seaman
I'm from Florida but was always a fresh water fisherman. My dearly departed brother was in the Navy for a few years and thus was more into the salt water fishing. I remember in one of our conversations that he talked about catching cobia and if I am remembering the conversation right he told me that cobia look a bit like a shark. He talked about them being pretty good eatin' and a great fight... which to me is very important... love that struggle when you have a big one hooked. Had that feeling a few weeks ago for a few seconds on a nearby lake.... He pulled the hook out.... missed him. Think from what I saw it was a good size bass tho... probably in the 5-6 pound range..... went home that day with a 2 1/2 #er tho. I now reside in CT and am completely amazed at how close the fishing fresh water scene is to the Florida routine. Still use mostly the same baits. As for my resto.... I haven't had much time to get after my AlumaCraft lately but have bought quite a few new things to after the work. I really need to get out there and finish takin all the stuff out of the inside like pole holders and such. Been so busy with life and work and catching up on the yard since it warmed up the time left for boat work hasn't been there for me.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
I'm from Florida but was always a fresh water fisherman. My dearly departed brother was in the Navy for a few years and thus was more into the salt water fishing. I remember in one of our conversations that he talked about catching cobia and if I am remembering the conversation right he told me that cobia look a bit like a shark. He talked about them being pretty good eatin' and a great fight... which to me is very important... love that struggle when you have a big one hooked. Had that feeling a few weeks ago for a few seconds on a nearby lake.... He pulled the hook out.... missed him. Think from what I saw it was a good size bass tho... probably in the 5-6 pound range..... went home that day with a 2 1/2 #er tho. I now reside in CT and am completely amazed at how close the fishing fresh water scene is to the Florida routine. Still use mostly the same baits. As for my resto.... I haven't had much time to get after my AlumaCraft lately but have bought quite a few new things to after the work. I really need to get out there and finish takin all the stuff out of the inside like pole holders and such. Been so busy with life and work and catching up on the yard since it warmed up the time left for boat work hasn't been there for me.

Your brother was spot on! Sorry for his passing to bluer waters. I did get fooled by a smaller shark ( there were dozens at times) thinking it was a large cobia! They can actually be found swimming with them and rays and will often come up to investigate the boat. They are also a very good eating fish. I like them grilled myself. Mine was on the smaller keeper side at about maybe 10-12 lbs. but when they are 60 lbs you gotta a battle going. Thanks the story. I was in the Marines a couple years and deployed twice out one the navy side of ships with them. Semper Fi.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Ok, so word to those going after me. Do small coats of spar urethane if thats what you are using. And I do not recommend using it before the pieces are cut and sandwiched together. I got back home and did some work today. Had to recut the top ends to fit the end caps back on and reseal it. When I cut it, there must not have been enough weight evenly dispersed and a cut corner was seperating a tiny little bit, just enough to bother me. So I added a few screws in it that I didnt want to do. Anyway, getting back to work. Few days away and I feel like its a new project.

The pics of the transom without the wood is because i wanted to ask which holes are for the transom wood only? Is it the three down each side and the six in the transom knee brace? Is there a diagram floating around out there before I drill? Not worried about the motor yet, just the wood.

20150526_124618_resized.jpg 20150526_121119_resized.jpg 20150526_124623_resized.jpg 20150526_121130_resized.jpg 20150526_140121_resized.jpg 20150526_140042_resized.jpg

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The best template you have is right there in the transom skin. Yes, the bolt holes down each side and the 6 at the knee brace are your structural through bolts. You'll also use 2 of the larger 4? holes for your splashwell drain tubes. The two holes close together on each side look to be for some bow eyes http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Bow-Eyes/dm/view_id.257651 which I would recommend using as well if they do indeed mate up. Not sure about any need for all the rest of them.

I just layed the epoxy down on mine and topcoated with a couple coats of Krylon Fusion. You can somewhat see where my holes are drilled. I plan to drill my 4 motor mounts and bow eye holes(not exactly sure where I want them yet) after I mount the transom.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
I may not use a splashwell, still deciding. I know about the bow eye holes, its the holes above and below those i cant remember what they were. Maybe I have a before pic to go look back at too.

hayko1971

Was there a plywood transom pad on there? I have holes from where the old pad was bolted to the transom that the motor rested on, I also have holes for a swim ladder that I will put back on.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Was there a plywood transom pad on there? I have holes from where the old pad was bolted to the transom that the motor rested on, I also have holes for a swim ladder that I will put back on.

Dang good thinking Hayko. Thats probably it. I have two big pieces of aluminum I brought back from Fl I have to figure out what to do with now. Might try and figure out to get get a clean slate on that transom end with one of them.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I may not use a splashwell, still deciding. I know about the bow eye holes, its the holes above and below those i cant remember what they were. Maybe I have a before pic to go look back at too.

You should rethink not replacing the spashwell for safety reasons and structural integrity of the boat. The holes off to the outside of the stern eye holes are for bolts that fasten the transom to the side brackets. It looks like there are 4 drain holes for the splashwell?