77' 16ft Starcraftt ss

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ah yeah the aroma of freshly sawed ply :happy:

Jeez I'm getting old, trying to remember if when you do the cut out for on the top of the transom ply for an OB do you cut the same 15 degree angle like we do on the stern drives? :confused:

Yes, you do. Or at least I did 😄

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015

Jeez I'm getting old, trying to remember if when you do the cut out for on the top of the transom ply for an OB do you cut the same 15 degree angle like we do on the stern drives? :confused:

I did not do that, I was unaware that was a thing. I just cut mine with a circular saw and a jig saw at 90 degrees.

Decker83

Commander
Looks good.. Been making some progress.. Your rivets should work fine.. On my Deck Boat I cut the 15 deg.. On the SS I will cut the same..
Don't think it matters much on the O/B..

dozerII

Admiral

You do on the outer edges where the gunwales sit but the rest around the curve is at 90 to the transom.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
wow, didnt know anything about an angle being needed.

Can we elaborate a little more on the need? The transom I took off didnt appear to have one, but it wasnt original either. Anyone have pictures of these angles they did cut that they can put up to give me an idea?

dozerII

Admiral
Last edited:

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ahh, yes...after looking at mine, the angle was only cut at the short sections under the end/corner caps. The section under the transom cap is a 90 degree.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Ahh, yes...after looking at mine, the angle was only cut at the short sections under the end/corner caps. The section under the transom cap is a 90 degree.
Yep, part of the problem might be how to cut an angle along the top of the motor mount is how to do that. The wings make it a complicated plunge cut....

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Just went beast mode. Couldnt wait for the friend to get here so another one man operation. Leverage is the key and only pulled one hamstring :lol:. Momma went shopping and the girls were napping. Boats flipped and ready for some rivet stripping, washing and painting!

Last edited by a moderator:

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
Good job getting that flipped and on the trailer! It's great how we can find the will and methods to do what we want no matter if we have he help or not! If that was at work it wouldn't be that way hahahahah, some safety guy would have a fit no doubt! Good job

Last edited by a moderator:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Would have been nice to see a time lapse video of the fight between the immovable object and the hard headed force. :lol:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Would have been nice to see a time lapse video of the fight between the immovable object and the hard headed force. :lol:

I thought about recording it, but I didnt want to end up in a Epic Fail video on youtube if something didnt go right.

Today I hit almost all the rivets with some more paint stripper and the nylon wheel. They are 100% more cleaned up and good for painting. I gave her a good scub down with dish soap and water afterwards. I also just went out and picked up 4 more cans of self etch primer for a total of 6 on hand.

Before I take the plunge my new plan is:

Wash with 50/50 water and cleaning vinegar and let it air dry. Then hit it with a light coat of primer and repeat.

It is hot and sunny lately which gets that aluminum pretty hot. Should this bother the priming with the metal being hot?

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
As I posted about good hot weather a thunderstorm sort of just developed right over head so I ran out and threw the boat back inside.

Just as a lil rain fell a delivery came in.

20150511_151951_resized.jpg

Deck rivets are here.

My front yard is sunny, the back yard is dark with a lot of lightning and thunder. Enough to stay in for a bit anyhow.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Solvent evaporation rate will be too high if the AL is under hot mid day sun and there's no way to keep your wet edge so the results may not be to your liking.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Gonna go look at this tomorrow

00j0j_iG2n09accQD_50x50c.jpg 00I0I_8JGHNQR8j7U_50x50c.jpg

Looks like a 65hp merc. They want 250$ for boat motor and trailer. Who knows whats inside it. Might get a seat and gas tank, battery? The wife/mom was who i talked too. She said it cranked when they got it. The boat will pretty much go straight to the dump. Might pretty up the trailer and sell it. Then hop over to the outboard section for a motor tune/rebuild. If it even looks somewhat clean that is. But I think I can get it out of her yard for less than asking price.

dozerII

Admiral
Donors you gotta lovem. boat to the dump, spit polish the trailer sell it for $, and an o/b for the SS:thumb:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Passed on the donor boat. Talked to the son this morning and it sounded too far gone even for the motor without knowing previous salt water use. Leave a chance for a new or newer motor down the road. Not to mention I really didnt have room for it to begin with and would have took the next 2-3 days to strip, discard, and hide the trailer from the HOA.

Got the vinegar/water wash down complete and a coat of primer on. Im going to leave the hull bare as I will not be in salt water and I am curious about the self protection aspect. I can Always paint it down the road. I did prime where I redid the transom knee brace hull rivets though. Thats the only part of the hull that will be painted.

Pics will be up later.