74 Starcraft Holiday resto

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is the top of the steering shaft and it has alot of play... before I take this thing all apart... is there a way to rehab this??? and if this is near worn out will the rest of the gears inside be worn out also???

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have cleaned this up and it all looks good... just may be worn out... everything came apart easily including the steering wheel???

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have ordered some red vinyl and will replace all plywood and redo this and the dash along with the vinyl clad hardware...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am looking at an 18 foot Holiday OB... tell me can I remove all the crap in the stern and replace the 20 inch transom with a 25 inch transom...??? what do you think about $2500.00 with trailer and motor that does not work???

Pusher

Lieutenant
In regards to the diamond plate I would suggest you seal it somehow. I've seen those sheets fresh off the truck with corrosion because water got between the sheets from what I could tell.

They make a rubberized powdercoat in a nice flat great.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank You Pusher... the diamond plate will be sealed with clear lacquer and carpeted... I remember you 2 or 3 years ago when I first started this project... thanks for chiming in...

Pusher

Lieutenant
*** nice flat grey ***

No problem Bill. I'll be interested to see how you tie the floor in.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Seems pretty straight forward to me... !/4 inch X 3 inch strip down the sides and the 1/4 inch diamond plate flooring attached to it... I am taking plenty of pics now that I have nearly mastered my camera and Photobucket... where is everyone... I am in desperate need of help(information) basically I have purchased a 25 inch shaft motor to put on a 20 inch transom... I am interested in the physics of this matter with a jack plate...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
If I wanted to stiffen the transom due to the use of a jackplate, would I enhance by adding something like Starboard the inside or the outside of the transom???

dozerII

Admiral
Personally I wouldn't put the XL shaft O/B on, it raises the weight considerably and greatly changes the lever action of the motor on the transom and how the boat responds to power. I would be tempted to sell the motor and find one the right length, just my 2cents.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Dozerll... I feel as you do but I am between a rock and a very hard place... 25% restocking fee.. I have been trying to sell it for near 2 months with no hits... I may just pay the restocking fee since there are near no 25 inch transom boats... the weight increase is less than 30 Lbs... 273 total weight... I have found a jack plate that is 2.5 inches thick and has a height range to 6 inches... I am still contemplating but need to decide by end of month... I have reinforced the transom to death and redone the transom brace... my transom is 1.5/8 inches with a 3/4 inch starboard plate on the rear sized at 44 inches wide by 18 inches tall... it has been a real delema for me but what can I do... its only my incompetince that has brought me to this place... I am ready to move on... But I do not want to revisit this mistake in the future...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can anyone tell me if I should replace my helm(74 Starcraft Holiday 16ft) it is pretty worn and I am woundering about this "tourque steer" at high throttle, and or slop... the shaft has alot of slop in it as you can see the plastic sleeve is worn out... the steering still works fine but???

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I would replace it and with a new cable as well. I have the SeaStar NFB rotary helm for my SS. My Merc has substantial torque steer or would have if I didn't have the NFB helm. After you trim the motor out though it goes away and is no longer pulling. It's those few seconds of getting on a plane where the motor torque will pull hard but with the NFB it won't accept any feed back from the motor end of the cable only the steering wheel.

Steering is very important as you know and having a new helm is always better than a sloppy worn out helm.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you Watermann... The only number I can find on the cable is Morse E 304415-56IN-3003(the 56 could be 156)... I went to the sea star site but came up empty I will call them Tuesday... I have read a dozen different ways to measure the cable length but I have the original cable(which seemed a little long) and will go with that... Question... the new motor has a 50 degree turn radius(the old motor had 30 degrees) I am woundering if just any rotary cable will satisfy this additional 20 degrees... do you know... I will be asking sea star... and will look for the NFB helm... thanks again...

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The new system is what you want, cable and all. Yeah you want the cable a little long. I used Seastar's measuring directions and everything worked out fine.

Turn radius increase has not been discussed around the forum before in my presence. I do know that the helm and cable have nothing to do with a motors increased or decreased turn radius, it just pushes or pulls the steering arm on the motor and that's it. So that leaves the turn radius increase up to the motors tilt tube and steering arm. Knowing how steering systems work, I have no idea how that extra 10 degrees on both the push and pull stroke would be accomplished. A pic of that would be great.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you for that WaterMann... I am goint to call Sea Star this morning... if they have an answer I will post it... I have yet to mount the motor(have to buy and install a Jack Plate) but when it is done I will proudly post many pics... Thanks again for keeping an eye on me... the Lord knows I need it...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
WaterMann... Does your Chieftan 1970 have the standard BIA engine mounting template holes??? Mine seem about 1/16+ off on the height(top to bottom holes)