74 Starcraft Holiday resto

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I have been able to get a little work done on the transom but have a few questions... My transom is 1 3/4 inches thick... I have noticed that the new motors do not have a closed, upside down U shape... its more like an upside down L... I want to add a 3/4 inch 26X17 piece of Starboard on the rear of the transom bringing the transom Thickness to 2 1/2 inches thick and stiffening the transom considerably... any opinions???

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also you may have noticed the new E Z Load 2350 trailer $2250.00 as you see it... also I have put the side rub rails in with the old end caps ground, stainless wire wheeled and painted... I still am waiting for the weather to clear enough to paint the bow... I have decided to cover the gunwales along with the bow about a 1/4 inch beyond the wind screen with white .125 HDPE... I just love the lines of this boat...

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I wouldn't bother putting anything on the outside of the transom if the AL is nice and not pitted from the old ply that was on there. It's not going to add anything in the way of strengthening the transom, it would just be sandwich filler is all.

You're making your gunnels and bow into a cutting board? :lol: sorry I couldn't help it. :heh:

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am dreaming of what to do with the dash... it looks pretty good in these pictures but it is rotted and beat badly... I am replacing the wood and having the shop that will do my top, cover what you see in red on the dash... the carpet will be red and it matches the boat red very well so I am hoping that he will have something close to what you see here... I am also concerned that the original steering, which works very well, will turn the motor the whole 50 degrees... any knowledge on this issue will be most appreciated...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Has anyone seen a bow light that matches O E M... mine says PERKO H-6-71... or should I just put this old one back on or maybe paint it like I did the end caps for the side rub rails... best pic I have rite now...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
By the way... this is the reason for this boats being... 3.5 pound native land lock salmon... this is why they call me "The Salmon Assassin"

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey mann... I mean watermann... how do I do that book mark thing again... I am back at starting at the first page again... on the transom, the old wood was pressure treated and the inside has huge pits, some as big and deep as a quarter(American)... that starboard is like steel when it comes to bending... I am thinking that if I put on a large enough piece that it will consume any flex in the center area of the transom... the sides where they attach to the inner mounts and rear transom aluminum are solid... I was thinking the same thing... I could clean the fish rite on the gunwales... the gunwales have at least 50 holes each... I just do not have the patients to fill and sand and paint just to see the pimples and have to start all over again... that .125(1/8th inch) HDPE is dirt cheap... less that $40.00 delivered... 2@ 6"X96" 1@ 8"X74" 2@ 24"X5"... front of windshield back to transom... can glue or screw or rivet...

Watermann

I think your and jbcurt00 worked on that book marking thing back a few pages in your thread.

So your thought then is to make a large pad with starboard that goes across the entire transom? I was thinking of the original sized SC motor pad which does nothing in the way of adding strength to the transom. I replaced my SS motor pad with .100 AL because there was pitting. The thing is you have make sure no water can get in behind what ever it is on the outside of the transom or it will start in corroding the AL from the outside.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
The white starboard will not cause the aluminum to react in a fashion that will corrode it... will it??? I would like to put a piece of Starboard 59X18X3/4 and cover near all of the transom... the motor pushes against the transom, correct??? except in reverse??? I will fasten it through and through but not below the water line...

Last edited:

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can seal it with gluvit or that white marine seal/glue... yes??? No??? I will not be in salt water...

jbcurt00

Staff member
Its not the board itself thats the problem, its that water turns acidic when its trapped between 2 surfaces w no air circulation. Obviously unsealed plywood would be worse the an UHMW board will be, but water can still get between the hull and the UHMW and become a problem.

Back buttered w 3M 5200 and 100% coverage, probably will keep water out. But hardly anything sticks to UHMW plastic long term. Maybe if the UHMW is well fastened it wont move, ever, and the 5200 will stay bonded to it.

If it were up to me, I'd either skip it, or 5200 butter a piece of 1/8in thick piece of aluminum. But I probably wouldnt use UHMW or plywood.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
The transom seems solid but what do I know... everything that I have ever built has been over killed... and I have never been disappointed... will the Gluvit not seal the aluminum if I put 2 or more coats... I have painted the hell out of it... will I have to remove that paint to use Gluvit???

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am really confused about what to do now... I can not even imagine how a thin piece of aluminum will protect and stiffen my transom... but again... what do I know...???

Watermann

I used the "thin piece of aluminum" to cover pitting that was on the outer skin from the old plywood pad SC put on, not because I thought it was going to make my SS overbuilt. Kind of like you want to do with the cutting board material on the gunnels.

The way an outboards power is transferred into the boat is accounted for in the boats design through the transom, SW, side brackets and knee braces.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
What consideration should I give to metal fatigue??? 74 16ft StarCraft Holiday... seems well kept, but previous rehab included pressure treated plywood floor and transom...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Will the 1974 engine bolt holes fit my 2017 Honda motor meaning are they uniform from one manufacturer to the next and still the same???

Pusher

Lieutenant
I think on another thread I saw someone say Evinrude standardized it's larger motor patterns in 1975 and then the other motor companies followed suit a few years later. Someone will be along that has actual knowledge.

I just put a 1975 50 hp Evinrude on where a 1986 60hp Mercury used to be and it was definitely not the same pattern. Hope you have better luck.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the info... I was afraid of this... I measured a new Honda and it was close but seemed off...