74 Starcraft Holiday resto

jbcurt00

Staff member
Google

BIA outboard mounting pattern

There should be plenty of images w dimensions to compare to what you have now, and then your new motors layout.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you JB & 53... My 74 SC Holiday has this newer pattern... SHOCK... unfortunately my transom wood is 1/2 inch higher than the aluminum... no problem though, I have yet to drill the holes and when the dealer installs the engine they can drill new holes... should all be good

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bought the boat and trailer $450 delivered... stripped it... building her back to her hay day's... so far so good... A real labor of love...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Everyone on this site should know that I could not have done this without you...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's not looking good for the motor to be exchanged... My transom now is 21&1/2 inches... what do you think, should I use a Jack plate or build up the transom 3 inches, or build a new transom at 25 inches... the original stern aluminum was at 21 inches...
20150705_186_zpsmfmfavbu.jpg

Pusher

Lieutenant
Did you sell that motor with the 25% restocking fee? If that was a new motor... Say $8k... For the cost of the restocking fee you could just buy a pod and remove the splashwell altogether.

It might not be in the cards for you, but just a thought.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can use a piece of stainless steel 2x3x1/4 and cut into the transom sides to set it behind the side transom braces and then cover as much of the transom as possible with 3/4 starboard... what do you think? should be solid... also if I find an 18ft SC I will have a 25 inch transom motor to put on it...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is interesting but a little more than I can spend... I am looking at a jack plate from bob,s in Fla... $340.00 delivered

Pusher

Lieutenant
I saw this on another site so I wouldn't want to be posting their link however I saw another option in my mind that could work.

You could use two pieces of 90 degree angle aluminum. 1 bolt against the transom and one bolted to the motor. When fit-up together they would appear to be a u-Channel.

My thought at the time was two U-channels but I imagine angle would do just fine.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...-17-bell-boy-runabout?p=10329616#post10329616

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have decided that if the Honda engine X long shaft does not sell before say June 5th or so I am going to purchase a Bob's jack plate Versa Jack in the 4 inch one piece convertible from manual to hydraulic HD rated for 300HP... I was planning on mounting my fuel tank and batteries up front but now I am not sure that this is a good idea... I am imagining that this jack plate is going to put downward pressure on my bow... but to be honest I really have no idea... could someone explain what impact the jack will have on how I need to set up my boat... I will mainly be fishing in it and wanted to keep the bow in the water for windy days... but I am thinking that the more throttle I put on the more downward pressure I am going to put on the bow, and the boat will not travel at cruise very well... where am I going wrong... or am I???

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The best place for a fuel tank is midship below deck. Batteries should be as close as possible to the device using them. I have the CMC TnT units on 2 of my boats which have the same set back that troubles you with the jack plate. I have none of the issues that are troubling you. My motors are 20"ers but with your's jacked up that should be a wash. The thing is as you get up on a plane your trimming the motor out which lifts the bow out of the water.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Watermann... can you opine as to the torque or pressure on the transom... is it on top pushing forward? is it on top pulling backward... the center of mount(if I can call it that) meaning the actual raise in mount that is needed if I use the original mounting holes(I could raise the original holes an inch or so to be 1and7/8ths below the top of the transom) will be about 5 to 6 inches, depending on where the ventilation plate wants to be... I have chosen for now a 4 blade prop... My options for the fuel tank are all the way to stern or all the way under the bow... it is a 15 gallon but I can always run less... What are your thoughts or experiences??? By the way... I will have 1/2 inch plywood for the first 23 inches from the stern... then 8 feet of 1/4 inch aluminum diamond plate, finishing with 1/2 inch plywood... at most the diamond plate is 1/3rd more weight... Yes I will be carpeting the diamond plate...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
As you know my transom is new and measures 1 and 5/8s inches... I have ordered 3/4 inch starboard 18 inches X 44 inches... I will use 3/16ths stainless 2 inches X 16 inches plate where my mounting bracket bolts to the transom to help distribute the attaching area... Are we talking overkill or what??? unnecessary???

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been practicing my aluminum welding and will be welding 1 and 1/2 X 1 and 1/2 x 3/16s aluminum angle to the transom brace to account for the missing flange on one side and the hair line crack on the other... Thoughts???

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
So now I am rehabbing my helm and have questions... this is a sleeve that rests into the mount and the steering shaft runs thru it... are these still available???