72 Thunderbird Formula w/twin 165hp Mercs

Mark72233

Ensign
Thanks for the compliments on the boat. I love it because she rides as good as she looks.

Finally got a chance this Friday and pulled the one solenoid on the trim motor that I suspected was bad and sure enough put one of the extras I have and she fired right back up and is back to working perfect. Took it out Sunday and made another 20 mile run back to Crooked Island. The entire family went this time and extended an invite to the in-laws and was happy when they excepted and came along for the trip. We had fun just sitting on the beach, cooking hamburgers and hotdogs, collecting shells, snorkeling and even caught a baby black tip shark. I would attach pics but my photobucket is acting up, maybe later.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks for the compliments on the boat. I love it because she rides as good as she looks.

Finally got a chance this Friday and pulled the one solenoid on the trim motor that I suspected was bad and sure enough put one of the extras I have and she fired right back up and is back to working perfect. Took it out Sunday and made another 20 mile run back to Crooked Island. The entire family went this time and extended an invite to the in-laws and was happy when they excepted and came along for the trip. We had fun just sitting on the beach, cooking hamburgers and hotdogs, collecting shells, snorkeling and even caught a baby black tip shark. I would attach pics but my photobucket is acting up, maybe later.

Awesome Mark!!! Glad to see you enjoying your hard work!!!

alldodge

Staff member
Sure glad to hear All Ya'll had a great time

We had fun just sitting on the beach, cooking hamburgers and hotdogs, collecting shells, snorkeling and even caught a baby black tip shark. I would attach pics but my photobucket is acting up, maybe later.

Sounds like someone doesn't want to rubber our noses in it

goin70

Cadet
Mark, The boat looks Awesome and glad to hear you are enjoying a great boat. What did you ever do about the capacity plate. I know you were looking to have one made. I still need to have one made and thought I could pick your brain. Thanks and safe boating!

Mark72233

Ensign
Wow its been a few months since I last posted. Still enjoying the boat and everything is running great. I have almost 120 hours on the engines and the weather is still nice enough on some weekends to take it out and do a little fishing. Let me try and load a couple of pics later. Definitely have plans this winter to try and finish the small cuddy cabin, build some seat mounts with built in storage and a live fish well.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Good to hear from you Mark! Hope you had a good Christmas!! Looking forward to your cabin updates.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well, Has the paint fallen off yet!!!! Merry Christmas and Happy New year my Friend!!!

SantaBoat.jpg

Mark72233

Ensign
Hey Wood, no she's got a few scratches but she's a fishing boat. The Rustuleum boat paint with the tractor supply hardener is actually very durable. I have hit the dock a few times and thought well there went some paint but it's holding up great.

Mark72233

Ensign
Ok so I had issues in the past about 2 months ago with hard rains shorting out my ignition switches and sending power to my electric fuel pumps. I fixed it by turning the keys to auxiliary/accessories position where I had no wires hooked to it. Since than no issues I have a battery kill switch but I only hooked it up to switches that control lights and such. Engines,batteries ignition switches have no kill switch and that hasn't been an issue until the other night. We get a really heavy rain storm Monday night, Tuesdaymorning. My wife goes to work Tuesday morning and runs back in the house while I am in the shower and tells me my boat engine is running. I'm like whaaat. I jump out of the shower throw some shorts on and run outside to find my engine running. Jump in the boat and find both switches in the auxiliary position. Pop the engine hatch and start pulling coil wires on both because in the confusion not sure which is running. Turns out it's the port engine and after I kill it by pulling coil wire I find starter is engaged and running also. Jump out and grab a 9/16 wrench and disconnect both batteries to kill it. Checked engine which was warm but not hot. Came home for lunch and hooked up a house and connected all the wires and cranked it up with no issues. Ran engine for 10 minutes from 1000-2000rpms and ran up to 140 degrees like it always has so no apparent issues. Haven't ran it under a load yet to confirm.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Holy smokes ! I guess it was trying to tell ya it's time to take it for a ride !
Hopefully no damage done . I'll bet ya couldn't put your shorts on fast enough ..

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
wow, the ghosts of fishes past...?
think i'll go buy a battery cutout switch!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
So it sounds like the ignition switch is the culprit? maybe you could move them or put a cover on the, can't remember your layout. Or put a kill switch between them and the battery that is waterproof? Just thinking out loud. Glad there was no damage, that could have been really bad. Might be worth your time to overhaul the water pump.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
A master disconect that kills all power would be advisable. Burt a winch up when it shorted in the rain. Water will find its ways to promote havoc.

Mark72233

Ensign
Yep,I bought 2 switches that will be semi hidden in the cabin that I can cut all power between ignitions switches and batteries.

Mark72233

Ensign
Wow, it's been almost 5 months since my last post. Time flys when your having fun. I have been using the boat every chance I can. Used it all winter even during the few times it got below 40* we still went out into the bay and fished. I haven't done any further work to the boat so it still isn't done. I have had the boat in the water for about a year and have almost 200 hours on the engines. This second year I hope to double that. Anyway just reading everyone else's threads and getting caught up. Hope everyone has either a productive summer working on their projects or like me gets out there on their completed or almost completed boats and enjoy.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Great to here your getting good use with the boat Mark !
Hope you and the family are doing well !
At some point I'll get back to boat stuff hopefully ...