2021 NFL/NCAAF News and Nonsense

Wiread

Cadet
Fans need to realize it's a game of human elements. Mano y Mano, fight in the trenches, overcome the adversary in front of you. and in this game of human confrontation it is officiated by humans and accept that and move on.

If you want a sensor to tell you things and super slow mo replay that is void of game situation context and viewed with a rule book 10,000 pages long then maybe get into video games?

We still don't know what catches or fumbles are anymore. I did when I was 12, now after 30+ years since then i'm not sure what I see anymore. The more they define the rules and the more they train referees to trust the replay than trust their eyes the worse the game gets IMO. It's not like they've eliminated mistakes, they just look different.

Give me refs with good eyes and the stones to make a call and move on. Or keep adding outside elements of control and more elements to rules we already can't understand and see where that takes us. If they're going to add sensors in the ball, how about laser beams on goal posts?

aspeck

Staff member
And that apparently really ticked off Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot who was quick to remind them they have a contract for the next 12 years ...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Let's screw up college sports too.......

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Now kids will go to schools where they have the best chance to make the most money for there likeness. I still don't like it.......

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That's what kids do now - Go to schools where they have the best chance to make the most money during their pro career if lucky.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
No doubt. But now they can make a bunch of money pre pro, providing they make it to pro. Just seems wrong to me...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
They won't make a lot of money. Some but not a lot. How many times have you read about a player on a full scholarship getting hurt and losing his ride?

aspeck

Staff member
I have always felt that the athletes should be reimbursed for their time spent practicing their craft, but it should be across the board … EVERY scholarship player (and if they get half a scholarship, then half the money) should get an hourly wage for time spent in practice and conditioning. The hourly rate would be the average of all student jobs at the school. This would give them spending money and an education if they wanted to apply themselves.
Just my thoughts …

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I see your point, Speck. It makes sense. But at the same time they've been given a full ride in alot of cases, shouldn't that be enough? I know it's not every case, but I would venture to guess the majority of athletes main concern is making it to the big leagues.... Education is secondary, if even on the radar... I wonder if spending money is included in the scholarship? Books, lodging.. Food? I really don't know the exact breakdown. Some of the big schools may have extra perks....
That's all.......

aspeck

Staff member
Yes, the athletes should be happy with the education that is afforded them (as a parent helping to pay for a college education, it ain't cheap!), but I also realize that many of these athletes are coming to college from situations where there is no disposable income to go out to eat, take a girl on a date, or even to just go get toiletries and clothing that are needed. Their study time and practice time do not leave any time left over for a job to make a little $$$$. If they were getting money from the school, there would not be a need for the athlete to go to boosters to get payments under the table, or fake jobs. It just seems that it would clean up a lot of the mess that is involved with the whole student-athlete idea.