PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1997 Starcraft Fishmaster 190CC Resto

Chad,
So whats the verdict on the leak?? Hope ya didn't sink her..:p

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To my surprise the leak was actually in the front of the boat. Im not sure exactly where but there are only a few possibilies so..ill just seal up everything really good. The rear did not leak at all to my surprise, im still going to seal everything up really good obviously. Here are the weekends photos. Would have prob got more done but feeling a little sick. More to come this week.

Here is the photobucket link with over 100 pics. Here are some current ones from weekend.

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

Until next time. Just ordered my Gluvit. Local West Marine wanted 160, ordered online for 100

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

By the way..its sickening to look on here and see that ll the restos are 80's and older, mine is the only 1997. Just shows what not ever covering a boat does. When the guy i bought it from told me he didnt have a cover i should have known.

CHad

sprintst

Commander

Getting rid of that foam was a milestone.

I wire brushed around the seams and rivets and that Gluvit really got in there. The wire brush I used was made of relatively thick wire so nothing got trapped in there. Those green scrubbling pads work well too. You might be able to find a really stiff nylon or sythetic brush as well.

The wheel I used to scrub the adhesive off was made out of some kind of hard nylon/synthetic material and was like 5 bucks. Slap that on a drill and that will make shot work of that crud.

The last step before appying the Gluvit was to take it to a car wash and blast the he** out of the interior. You will probably have a hard time getting it to dry up in the cold before applying the Gluvit so a shop vac and a rub down with Acetone or something will work just as well. AS long as it's not greasy that Gluvit will go right over anything.

The first thing I did was buy a cover. I'm going to throw a tarp over my new cover :) My previous owner did not believe in covering as well.

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ya that foam was no joke. I used a pry bar and hammer to chisel it out. Every bit of it was frozen so it came out in chunks. The stuff that was not frozen was actually more difficult to remove. Anyways I gotta get to work so i can get out early and start scrubbing.

Chad

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Greetings,

I have been thinking about it and am pretty sure the foam in my boat plays a large role in the structure. Take a look at the photos, you will notice the ribbing is different than that in an older aluminum boats. I have some ribbing running the length of the boat, but none the width.

My fear is that if i use pool noodles or just sheets or closed cell foam i am going to loose some of the rigidness of boat. I could be wrong, just take a look at photos with foam in and without foam and let me know what you think.

I only use this in the ocean so it gets beat up quite a bit in the waves. There is a local guy that has a mobile spray foam operation, specifically for boats i believe.

Going back out to scrub some more corrosion, Gluvit should be here tomorow or next day.

Chad

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

it looks like you have alot more support than most of us. on mine there is 2 stringers runing bow to stern and then the end will get atached at the end of the ribs.
your looks like 2 big stringers near the middle and 2 more near the out side.

i plan on using 5/8 covered with ploy resin, i did like the way mick did his joints where the sheets of ply meet. he basicly scabed in some wood under the joint securing both boards together. i think he called a shiplap joint but it's not. i plan on doing the same. we use to do the same when fixing holes in drywall

here is micks link
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=365820&page=19

i had some alum strips on my seams but i like micks idea better, i also had some large alum squares under the deck where there was some interior installed like seats and center console i think it was used for extra grabbing for the screws

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Greetings,

I actually had the aluminum strips under all seems. The strips were so corroded, they came out in crumbs. I plan on getting some aluminum strips from the local hardware store.

What do you think about the foam. Do you think noodles or the closed cell stuff home depot sells will be ok.

I have all of my floor boards cut from template and coated in Poly resin ready to go.

Chad

jspano

i would choose the sheets at the big box stores my self but i can't get it here
so i'm going noodles

bananaboater

Ensign

I think the decking will provide the structural integrity you seek. I would not put much faith in the foam as a structural component over the long term. With that in mind I would be sure the decking is attached really well. The noodles seem to be made just for the linear structure of your boat.

Albert

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree that the deck probably makes up most of the structure.

Luckily the local home depot sells 2X8 sheets that are like 4 inches thick.

I think i will use a combo of spray foam in some of the areas which i know water will not penetrate and the sheets for a majority of the rest.

I plan on using rivets and screws just like original to hold down deck, in new holes though. The old holes are not to healthy.

I predrilled all deck holes and made sure to get the poly in there so im sure the deck will outlast the hull:)

Just found my major leak, will post some pics a little bit later.

http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac41/cc190cc/

Chad

jspano

stay away from great stuff... i'm not sure of any spot on an alum boat that
will not see water

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Greetings,

it has been a while but i am making progress on resto. I have all holes patched with aluminum patches, rivets, 3m 5200 and gluvit. I am now to the point that i need to flip this thing over and paint it.

I am a little nervous to flip it over as i have never done so before. I was thinking i would just have a few friends give me a hand rolling it over in my yard, being extremely careful.

I am a little nervous about the sides maybe crushing?? Should i put some bracing from one side to the other. I know the transom will hold the stern rigid but am a little concerned about the bow and mid ship area.

Let me know what you think and as always thanks alot. Keep in mind the boat is still completely gutted as in the photographs earlier in this post.

Chad

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Hey CC, I'm just about ready to flip mine and I too have some jitters. I'm going to round up some neighbors again, and I'm thinking of resting it on 2x4's supported by cinder blocks...hopefully that'll be structured enough and should make a decent prepping height...looking forward to other thoughts as well.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Kenny, they aren't real heavy if they're fully stripped out. We flipped mine with 4 guys. Picked it up and flipped it off the trailer onto the grass. When it came time to put it back on, same 4 guys picked and up and got it mostly aimed the right way and up on the trailer a bit them we winched it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I just read the thread about the pool noodles, im glad you put an end to that. I have bought a mix of pool noodles and the home depot sheet foam for my flotation. Do you think i will have any structural issues, im sure you have seen my post and are familiar with my boat. Im pretty sure my old foam was just for flotation. I like the idea of water being able to drain through the noodles and not having the area 100% filled with poor in foam.

You will have no issues whatsoever. The foam has nothing to do with structure on an aluminum.

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you very much man, your a great help.

Chad

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys, here are a few new photographs. Can anyone tell me what to use for primer over gluvit??? I have heard of adhesion issues?
IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

Chad

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice work on the flip. Would you mind resizing your pics to 640x480? Thanks. I've got no idea on the gluvit primer. I kept all my gluvit on the inside.

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will try to resize the pics, im not really sure how. I upload them to photobucket than insert the image link. Would i adjust the size through photobucket or on this site when i insert. ill try to figure it out now.

Chad