1996 Century Boats 1800 Center Console Refit and Modernization

zool

Captain
That sure is a lot of freakin work there! Looking forward to the results. Is one used for different applications? Ie; 3m vs. Capt T?
the 3 m is just vinyl ester fairing compound. for everything.

some of the cracks were deeper than the v grooves, so the tolleys, which has the consistancy of milky water til it sets, creeps deep inter them as an adhesive filler. Too small of areas for epoxy.

Yeah, alot of work, but i need to rush this one thru, i have a few more boats in waiting for various repairs/upgrades.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Is the Capt T stuff an actual filler or like a pre-filler ? I’ve never seen that ..

zool

Captain
Today I mixed up a batch of gel and got about 10 mils on so far. It layed out nice and smooth with the Duratec. The tint looked close when mixed, but its slightly greyer than i wanted so im gonna whiten the mix up a bit for the final feather coat after i sand it down. I shouldnt need pva with the duratec, but i have some incase its tough to cure.

Todays lineup:
1634759976801.jpeg

1634760003776.jpeg

After spray
1634760036170.jpeg

1634760059810.jpeg

One of the smaller areas
1634760091211.jpeg

I think I can get it close enough to be satisfactory, with a little more trial and error.

briangcc

Commander
I'm a troublemaker so take this with a grain of salt....

I'm actually digging the grey. Looks sharp.

zool

Captain
haha..if it were all sprayed, id say i wanted it that way!

Ill get it closer on the next run, went a little heavy on the black i guess.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
At some point I'm gunna try gelcoat again .. My last attempt didn't go as well as i wanted .. I think the Duratec is the way to go ..

zool

Captain
The Duratec at 1:1 with 2% mekp made it flow out like paint. I used a 2.5 tip in a gravity feed gel gun. It came out like a firehose, was hard to keep up. The next coats im gonna reduce the same, but with a smaller tip, I just didnt have one for this gun and didnt want to risk it kicking off on a good gun. There were some runs while I was spraying, but the duratec seemed to level then out on its own, and the added gloss is fantastic.

zool

Captain
Another good weather window today, so I cleaned sanded the areas down with 120 on a d/a, I mixed 1 part of the last color mix with 2 parts of pure white and sprayed the areas again, looks much closer but ill tell better when i pull the tape and wet sand it.

1634912674464.jpeg

1634912693665.jpeg

1634912712059.jpeg

At this point ill cut and buff the whole cap and run with it if its close enough. Got to get to the inner hull areas before winter. TGIF Cheers!

todhunter

Canoeist
The Duratec at 1:1 with 2% mekp made it flow out like paint. I used a 2.5 tip in a gravity feed gel gun.
Spraying gelcoat is something I hope to tackle one day. Is there any difference between a regular gravity feed paint gun and a gravity feed gel gun, other than the tip size?

Any experience with a dump gun? If so, how does it compare to the gravity feed gun?

zool

Captain
Spraying gelcoat is something I hope to tackle one day. Is there any difference between a regular gravity feed paint gun and a gravity feed gel gun, other than the tip size?

Any experience with a dump gun? If so, how does it compare to the gravity feed gun?
Hey Tod, basically an HVLP gel gun has bigger tips, thats about it, same parts and layout. 3m accuspray is a fav if u have the air supply cuz the disposable tips are basically less than acetone.

Dump guns are really only usefull for a mold, unless u like sanding cottage cheese :) but there are less parts to dissasemble and clean quickly.

I get about 10-15 min to spray without risk of kicking in the gun on the hvlp.

zool

Captain
I gave one section a quick sanding and the match is acceptable to me. Greying isnt an issue now, but maybe some yellow or brown or both could get it closer, but im tired of chasing my tail, and I have enough material on there. I ran this session a few inches wider than the last round, so i can feather it in to blend the original to the new, and it will basically be un noticeable from a few feet away.

1634938056875.jpeg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Looks Great Larry. I have a question for you. I epoxied some cracks, screw holes and edge on the deck exposed to the elements on my deck shed. Neighbor came by and says it's the bomb.
he asked if I was going to do the whole deck that way. Can I add tint, roll it and some sand for non-slip? It's just a grey finish exterior latex at the moment over a primer.
Seems like it should be ok. Let me know what you think.
TX!

zool

Captain
Looks Great Larry. I have a question for you. I epoxied some cracks, screw holes and edge on the deck exposed to the elements on my deck shed. Neighbor came by and says it's the bomb.
he asked if I was going to do the whole deck that way. Can I add tint, roll it and some sand for non-slip? It's just a grey finish exterior latex at the moment over a primer.
Seems like it should be ok. Let me know what you think.
TX!
Yeah, you can only tint epoxy so much before it loses its properties, like 8% is recommended i think. It wont have any UV protection tho, so it will chalk up over time.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yeah, you can only tint epoxy so much before it loses its properties, like 8% is recommended i think. It wont have any UV protection tho, so it will chalk up over time.
Thanks for the feedback. I ordered some grey powder dye so we'll see how it works out.

zool

Captain
Got the little Sea Ray prepped to bring home from the lake to make room in the driveway for the Center Console.

1635427423046.jpeg

1635427447419.jpeg

It was a little hairy coming down the mountains with the van pulling it, had to let the brakes cool a bit mid travel.

But shes safe in the shop waiting on a full resto.
1635427529647.jpeg

Today her new to me very big sister comes home for some repairs and cosmetics, should be an interesting day.

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
aNUTTER ONE? Holy Macaroni.
Good for you. You and @mickyryan can always come over here to wrap up my never-ending project.
Nice storage area. Nice looking machine.

zool

Captain
aNUTTER ONE? Holy Macaroni.
Good for you. You and @mickyryan can always come over here to wrap up my never-ending project.
Nice storage area. Nice looking machine.
Haha yeah, I had the 170br for like 15 years, just didnt use it when the transom got soft.

I think we all here have MBS, just not everyone knows it yet.

The new big sibling rolled in a little while ago, I gotta go over it to see what it needs.

1635438552668.jpeg

1635438597617.jpeg

Shes mechanically and structurally sound, just some cosmetics and updates will be in order.