1996 Century Boats 1800 Center Console Refit and Modernization

zool

Captain
Got the dash finished and temp installed. Got to go over all the connections with no-ox-id and replace the fuse reset rubber boots, they are getting dry rotted. The faux eva teak came in, so i have that laying flat with weights to unmemory the roll.

1636570449215.jpeg

1636570480622.jpeg

I also gotta fabricate a cover piece of clear plastic for over the lighted switch label panel cause the new dash sits proud of the old clear plastic.

zool

Captain
Update:

Today I decided to mess with the EVA decking. I flattened out about as much as its gonna, which isnt really flat, but its workable. I was able to remove the baitwell covers and bring them in the shop.

1636832089260.jpeg
still wavy but whatever.

Todays lineup
1636832138947.jpeg

I used upholstery patterning sheet to make a template.

1636832210350.jpeg
I got lucky and the edge left a perfect 1 1/4 strip on each side.

I cleaned to hatches up a bit more with w/g remover and sprayed 3m77 on to help the cheap china adhesive peel n stick.
1636832365333.jpeg
Used a J roller to press it.

The template was close enough for the other hatch so i just flipped it over and reused it.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Turn up da heat. I think that 3m blows for good adherence. Like the weld wood much better.

zool

Captain
I also made 2 small step pads for the gunnels, but these will have to attach over the diamond formed non skid, so Im not sure if they will hold up. If they do, I have enough material left to make a helm standing pad and maybe do the casting platform up front.

1636832579669.jpeg

1636832609692.jpeg

1636832657195.jpeg

Came out good enough, I didnt bother to bevel the edges, but I may tape them off and add a bead of 3m 4200 in black to make sure the edges stay down over time, we'll see.

zool

Captain
Turn up da heat. I think that 3m blows for good adherence. Like the weld wood much better.
The 77 is what I had on hand. I had the sheet in the house for days with weights on it, its about as flat as it wants to get.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I also made 2 small step pads for the gunnels, but these will have to attach over the diamond formed non skid, so Im not sure if they will hold up. If they do, I have enough material left to make a helm standing pad and maybe do the casting platform up front.

View attachment 352663

View attachment 352664

View attachment 352665

Came out good enough, I didnt bother to bevel the edges, but I may tape them off and add a bead of 3m 4200 in black to make sure the edges stay down over time, we'll see.
Looks awful spiffy Sir!

zool

Captain
Thanks KC, I wanted to remove the seats today, but we had a crazy hail storm, so I called it quits for today, the temps dropped a bunch too, so im on da couch now :)

Im ordering a new sewing machine, so upholstery work will have to wait a bit. I was gonna try to get by with the domestic machine I have, but I decied, with so many boats I have to do vinyl and canvas work on, I need a triple feed industrial. Going with the NT 1541s. I should have it in december.

So im down to tranducer installs, the ebox stuff, bottom paint, the engine cowling paint, speakers, and some cosmetics like removing and painting the inspection hatches.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yea thanks. Aren't the two units redundant? I do like the hook unit, actually both. The domey thing like radar? I,ve got a dated garmin gps/plotter, ff Trying to figure updates and spatial issues.
Larry,
How do you like the performance of the wireless radar?

zool

Captain
Larry,
How do you like the performance of the wireless radar?
Dont know, havent used it yet. One of the benefits is that you dont need a display if u dont want one, it will display on a smart phone or tablet so you can walk around with it, or go in the cabin, or use both display and phone.

So for under 900 bux you get mobile radar. The reviews are good with it that ive seen.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Dont know, havent used it yet. One of the benefits is that you dont need a display if u dont want one, it will display on a smart phone or tablet so you can walk around with it, or go in the cabin, or use both display and phone.

So for under 900 bux you get mobile radar. The reviews are good with it that ive seen.
Yup that's pretty much the same info I have gathered too. Looks like its going to a wireless system all around for radar. I've read some issues but for the price and actually having radar overruled the issues. Keep me in the loop how you like it.
That lake up there must have some good fish. Geez... you did mention strippers?

zool

Captain
Yup that's pretty much the same info I have gathered too. Looks like its going to a wireless system all around for radar. I've read some issues but for the price and actually having radar overruled the issues. Keep me in the loop how you like it.
That lake up there must have some good fish. Geez... you did mention strippers?
Yeah, but the Admiral dont let me look for strippers anymore :]

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yea.. they are a way overpriced fish. Just been derking around in the shed and trying to organize work/storage areas.
Remind me next time to never to buy a tin shed again.

zool

Captain
Yea.. they are a way overpriced fish. Just been derking around in the shed and trying to organize work/storage areas.
Remind me next time to never to buy a tin shed again.
wait til it starts hailing, will sound like it collapsing over ur head.....

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Here's a tinny for ya!
Biggest issue is it leaks like a sieve. Been working it out though so getting there. Pc. of crap. The bend for the barn angle has crap cuts that are supposed to be covered with a glue on storm tape that is nothing more than tinfoil. Rack the roof...rip.. leak. o my. Learning curves.

zool

Captain
Biggest issue is it leaks like a sieve. Been working it out though so getting there. Pc. of crap. The bend for the barn angle has crap cuts that are supposed to be covered with a glue on storm tape that is nothing more than tinfoil. Rack the roof...rip.. leak. o my. Learning curves.
I can lend you some of my buckets, I fixed a few leaks in my shop metal roof so i freed up a couple :]

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Another 30 tinny build but has a cuss word in it. Oh well. So I removed post.

30’ Aluminum build, Jesse Lowell design​

zool

Captain
Update:

Today I got another item off the checklist. Installed the stereo. Finding ways to run the speaker wires under the deck was challenging. I ended up using an inspection camera with a long wand, and poked around till I found a passage thru small openings between the deck and stringers. I pulled string thru them with the wand end, then used them as pulls for the wires.

I also removed the seats and put them in the shop for reupholstery. The sliding bases were corroded and cam out in pieces, so Ill have to order new bases. The pedestals are fine, just need cleaning.
1637281973671.jpeg

The speaker cutouts were 5.3 inch and I didnt have a hole saw that size, so I had to make a circle jig and use a small router, worked out fine.

1637282045796.jpeg

I coated all the connections with no-ox-id and wired the led speaker lights to the acc switch.
1637282144509.jpeg

The wife didnt want the head unit way up in the ebox, because she would have a tough time reaching it, shes just a peanut at 5' nothing, so I gladly agreed, otherwise I would have to mess with it for her all the time. So I installed it on the console side in a weatherproof cover. I used 14g tinned ox free cable.
1637282319330.jpeg

1637282480833.jpeg

I wired it for 4 speakers, but the 6" didnt work in the rear due to the slight curves in the hull sides, so ill order 5" for the rears.