1992 Stratos 2250 here we go again

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Hey kc nice to hear from you. It's rated for 300. Which in 1992 weight was 570. And 2 newer 150 would weigh over 700 so that hinda puts a damper on things

zool

Captain
I dont really think u need to close the transom for structural reasons, but one of the main benefits of the bracket is the solid transom, to protect from swamping in following seas, or emergency reversing in rough seas....tho you would probably get a performance bump just having the engines further back, it may be easier and cheaper to squeeze another 150 in ur existing cutout....did the 22 stratos offer a twin package from the factory?

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
I do not believe so zool I haven't found to much info on them I'll have to take some measurements.
When they limit hp is it do to weight or actual hp
That would be the smart thing to do kc. What would be a good hp for a ki ker

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Ok so I measured my transom where motor sits now its flat for 24" then on both sides it rides up on a angle 18" overall width is 61" I made a diagram here it is
d8221610-c9e2-45e4-b30c-1b9f8a44b756_zpsvqccyomr.jpg
Now I was thinking I could just cut the top of the transom strat across from ceterline over as far as needed to make room for twin motors and save the money not buying a transom bracket.
j

Last edited:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Minch, forgive my ignorance on this subject...will your transom strong enough for twins? What are the benefits of doing it that way....if I remember correctly, you will end up with the same net HP? is the pain worth the effort? Dont get me wrong, I think twins are way COOL, just dont know anything about the reasons for it.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Well cor to be totally honest from what I gather twins are really meant for off shore. Actually 2 150's are not equal to 1 300 I think it like 75 % actual mileage would be close to the same the obvious maintenance would be double. I would have to say no to the transom being strong enough based on weight alone.
I just like the idea of having 2 motors but in reality its not financially worth it
So this winter I will be on the lookout for a 225 or 250 But if I hit the lottery I'm doing it LOL

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Personally I think maxing the horsepower with more displacement is a good thing,...

Which could mean a slight increase in weight,...

How much of a difference in weight are you talking about?

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Well as I have talked about in the past I was on lake Erie nice and calm then next thing I know 6 plus footers. Now I know its not the ocean and I'm not out 30 plus miles but I would feel better about having 2 motors.
Now if I keep the 150 I have now and buy another if would be 160lbs more then a 300 back in 92 when my boat was made.
As my boat sits now it is bow down I figure if the 160 pound difference is that detrimental I could get a transom bracket which adds some flotation .
Opinions are welcome

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I'd still go with a single 250 or 300,.......

I just don't see any advantage to twin motors,...

And yes, I've seen what 6 foot plus waves look like on Erie, And other Great Lakes waters,...

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
When it gets rough I don't trim my motor up at all,...

I want the bow pinned down to take the waves, Just have to watch so you don't spear a big one,...

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
I guess the reason I like the twin idea is a second 150 will bring us home no problem as a 9,9 would be iffy in bad waters. And I'm sure a lot of this is my inexperience at boating . from what I have read twin 150 would be approximately equal to 225 but would be better on fuel and a lot more torque.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Given your inexperience are there any safe boating classes offered by the Coast Guard??

Maybe a day with an experienced fishing guide that can answer questions and teach you some things,...

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
The club I belong to has a lot of experienced boater that do give me advice on boating and how too's.
And I appreciate your input.
I am also looking for some input on whether or not the transom and boat could handle the extra weight 160lbs. Considering I'd be under hp rating I'm assuming weight would be my main issue. Also would a transom bracket with flotation be a benefit.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
My opinion, for what it's worth,...

I don't think I'd want the extra weight, You will have a wave come over the transom at some point if you fish on Erie enough,...It's gonna happen,......

The bracket moves the weight further back changing your balance,....

I'd find a solid 250 2 stroke, Put in an extra bilge pump or two, and go fishing,..........

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
From my research stratos did make a bracketed form of the boat. It was in the non blue water edition. I figured the bracket with bolt to the transom that is there and I could fill the top up to keep water out but not bear any major weight