1992 Stratos 2250 here we go again

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
I know that would be the easy way but why start doing things the easy way ha-ha. I have done some research and twins are more efficient more torque yes double maintence double the issues when they break. My main concern is the weight from what I have read it seems like the hp rating is more for hp then weight. And if I put a 250 plus a kicker that would be close to the weight of twin 150's. Plus if I buy a transom bracket with flotation that should also help while sitting still.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
If you want to spend the money go for it,..

I just don't see any advantage to it,.....But it is your boat,..

I have no idea how a bracket with or without flotation is going to do anything, Moving the weight back will change the way the boat handles, Negatively in my opinion,...

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Minch,
I can say you surely do your due diligence! Seems like you have the ole' double engine feaver. Just be sure to prepare to plug your scuppers with the new engines then re-do after you find your new water line.

zool

Captain
There are other benefits from duals you would get, like a little better tight area handling, but not too much being close together, and out on a bracket, and if u plane on a single 150 now, its likely u will plane on one 150 offset....what I would check tho, is if the fuel tank has dual feeds, im not sure if u would starve the engines with a t'd single feed fuel outlet...

I think you could also fabricate the full, capped transom with some framing and ply wood, glassed over, and of course a new rub rail....

imo, once you try a 5-10 mile trip home on a kicker, you will realize how excruciatingly painful it is...

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
I'm assuming my existing transom can handle the weight?
As for the ride back on a kicker my thoughts are if you have a problem and have to rely on a kicker in weather will that kicker still be able to get you to shore?
I know this sounds a little over worried but the difference in money from going larger motor and a kicker to twins which I have 1 already is that horrible. And if I have just 1 bring us home once it will be worth the extra money.
As for dual pickups I'll ck zool but worst case scenario I did cut down my tank to make it removable.
So on these notes do you guys think my transom can handle the extra weight as it is?

zool

Captain
A kicker on a single outboard setup will for sure get u home, maybe not in time for dinner, or before nightfall, but if its in decent shape, it will run all day and night....it will also be a lot easier and safer if its hooked up to steer from the helm like the main outboard.

If u built your current transom to factory spec or better, theres no reason why it shouldn't support 2- 150's..IIRC you are rated for a 300hp beast as is....now if ur talking on a dual bracket, then I would want the full transom and cap, like the factory did on the single ob bracket option u posted....

If u opt for the single ob on the bracket with the kicker, im not quite sure how u would rig it to steer from the helm, unless u hung the kicker on the bracket as well, which im not sure would work...

zool

Captain
Theres also the least expensive option, which is the one I rely on for my single engine center console...its sea tow lol....for a small annual fee, I get towing to the nearest port or repair facility..but this one is the most time consuming, waiting for them to show up, and drag u back at a few knots...

Last edited:

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
I have towing but what I worry about is breaking down and the lake kicks up it nothing for lake Erie to go from flat as glass to really rough in minutes. And it actually happens often.
Yes zool I was thinking a dual 18? setback with platform bracket. When you say a full transom dobyou mean for strength or just to keep water out.
My thought was that the bracket would basically attach to existing transom and I would fill in the notch out with wood and glass build a cap and what ever I want on the inside.
Or do you think I should remove the transom and completely rebuild it?

zool

Captain
ahmincha;n10053022[B said:
]
When you say a full transom dobyou mean for strength or just to keep water out.[/B]
My thought was that the bracket would basically attach to existing transom and I would fill in the notch out with wood and glass build a cap and what ever I want on the inside.
Or do you think I should remove the transom and completely rebuild it?

Both actually, the cap wrapping the gunnels will increase its vertical strength, and keep it from listing back with the weight set back on the bracket....especially with a splashwell full of water if she takes a bath off the stern....

as for rebuilding the transom, I think if you left the existing wood there, and sistered another layer of ply down to the hull bottom, and build to thickness above the existing transom, then add a new layer of glass on the inside, you would be more than fine....having a 3+ inch transom width.

I would also use epoxy/biaxial for the new transom layer inside...the outer skin work can be done with poly or VE if ur worried about gelling epoxy....

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Well I'm a lard butt and have a couple larger friends I'm going to measure distance from water to transom top then put a couple of us on there and remeasure see how low it goes.

zool

Captain
Well I'm a lard butt and have a couple larger friends I'm going to measure distance from water to transom top then put a couple of us on there and remeasure see how low it goes.

Well all I can say about that is ur gonna have to post us a video :D

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

ok option 2
2 jack plates maybe I wouldn't have to touch my transom

Attachments

• photo231152.png
    photo231152.png
    96 KB · Views: 0

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Much cheaper to listen to and understand a weather forecast and stay home if it's gonna get ugly,.....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I'm sure it gets worse then that .. You could almost surf on the second vid ...