1992 Sea Ray 180 Floor Project Help and Advice needed

MC_What have I done?!

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks good from here! :thumb:
CSM is even worse... I just finished off my 16th gallon. :rolleyes:

16 gallons seems like a lot, I have estimated I will use about 7 gallons and so far I am on track. I’m only using 1708 on the Stringers and Transom so may be that is why. I checked your thread out and it’s looking good! Keep up the nice work!

MC_What have I done?!

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone used the Loctite PL Marine adhesive sealant? Says it is for use below or above the waterline and paintable in 24 hours. From what I looked at it seems like it would be a good substitute for 3m 5200 for waterproofing screw attachments and such. $12 a tube is much cheaper than the 3m so I am hoping others have an opinion on the subject.

Panoguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
16 gallons seems like a lot, I have estimated I will use about 7 gallons and so far I am on track. I’m only using 1708 on the Stringers and Transom so may be that is why.
Stringers, fillets (if you're PB-ing them), will surprise you with the amount of resin you go thru. What about you're new floor - I assume you'll use 1708 on that BIG area?

I tried using PL for structural... I personally didn't care for it, and in the end will probably cost more than making your own PB. Took forever to flash-off.

I think I used about 17 gallons of resin for my structural work - it's surprising how fast that stuff goes!

MC_What have I done?!

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Stringers, fillets (if you're PB-ing them), will surprise you with the amount of resin you go thru. What about you're new floor - I assume you'll use 1708 on that BIG area?

I tried using PL for structural... I personally didn't care for it, and in the end will probably cost more than making your own PB. Took forever to flash-off.

I think I used about 17 gallons of resin for my structural work - it's surprising how fast that stuff goes!

PB does use up a boat load of resin! It took me almost 2 quarts of resin to make the PB for the transom filets, the 2 x 2 gap at the very bottom took most of that!

I’m undecided on how to attach the Stringers to the Hull, but I know it won’t be with PL like friscoboater used, that stuff takes way to long to gas off. I bought some gorilla glue that is less than 2% VOC and paintable within 1 hour and says it works with Fiberglass and a whole bunch of other materials so I am going setup a test lab with a mini stringer on some of the glass I cut out during deconstruction and see how it does glassing over it.

For the floor, my plan is to do 1 seal coat, 1 layer of csm on the bottom side, and 2 csm with a layer of 6 oz cloth in between. That will give me 15oz per yard on the top in glass plus I will do 2 layers of gel coat. I think the recommended is 15-17 oz per yard on the top deck but with the gel coat I’m not to worried about being at 15. The 1708 is so much more expensive I didn’t see the justification. I am a rookie to boats so maybe I am wrong but from all my research and reading other threads I think it should be ok. Hope so anyways. LOL

Panoguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
PB does use up a boat load of resin! It took me almost 2 quarts of resin to make the PB for the transom filets, the 2 x 2 gap at the very bottom took most of that!

I’m undecided on how to attach the Stringers to the Hull, but I know it won’t be with PL like friscoboater used, that stuff takes way to long to gas off.

Yep - I also followed friscoboater's threads & videos, great stuff!

Let us know about the Gorilla Glue... do you think it'll be less-expensive than PB in the long run? Figure total bead length of the total length of your stringer, X the number of stringers, X 3 (stringer bottom & 2 sides) - that's a bunch of Gorilla Glue!!!

MC_What have I done?!

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yep - I also followed friscoboater's threads & videos, great stuff!

Let us know about the Gorilla Glue... do you think it'll be less-expensive than PB in the long run? Figure total bead length of the total length of your stringer, X the number of stringers, X 3 (stringer bottom & 2 sides) - that's a bunch of Gorilla Glue!!!

So here is the deal with the Gorilla Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive, it works but isn't permanent, cost about $7 for a normal tube but, I think I will stick with PB for bedding. I used it to bed the fuel tank floor, it gave me plenty of time to get everything into position and check all my measurements. I did place a 30lbs dumbell on it over night and when I removed it nothing moved, seemed like it did the trick with no gas bubbles or funky smells when applying. The issue is that as I continued to work on the boat, climbing in and out, the Gorilla adhesive did reach its flex limit and released the 1/2 ply for the fuel tank floor. Normally it would be glassed over and the adhesive is really only a barrier between the Hull and the wood but I am going to stick with what others have proven works. In hindsight, the adhesive giving out is actually a blessing because I jumped the gun, I didn't mount and glass my bulk head between the fuel bay and the ski locker yet.... Ooops!! LOL but at least now I don't have to cut out the 1/2 ply to glass in the bulk head, just need to clean up the adhesive, I will give it a good sanding and wipe down with Acetone to make sure the residue is completely gone so that my PB sticks.

MC_What have I done?!

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Stringers are cut to height, fuel tank has been fitted. Going to PB & tab them to the hull tomorrow evening! It’s so exciting to start seeing everything come together, so much happens that you don’t see many improvements but are required, but having it to this point already just makes the light at the end of the tunnel that much brighter. It had been a long few weeks of none stop, every evening and weekend but it’s going to be worth it. I was worried that I would miss the whole season but without a doubt, I know I will be back on the water before it’s to late to enjoy it this year.

Attachments

• photo317068.jpg
    photo317068.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Stringers are cut to height, fuel tank has been fitted. Going to PB & tab them to the hull tomorrow evening! It’s so exciting to start seeing everything come together, so much happens that you don’t see many improvements but are required, but having it to this point already just makes the light at the end of the tunnel that much brighter. It had been a long few weeks of none stop, every evening and weekend but it’s going to be worth it. I was worried that I would miss the whole season but without a doubt, I know I will be back on the water before it’s to late to enjoy it this year.

I know the feeling!!! Awesome build btw! Cannot wait to do a I/O boat here this winter myself.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I get my Resin from a boat shop in Louisville, but order everything else from either iboats or USComposites.
On the transom if you haven't installed yet use a scrap piece of 3/4 inch plywood as an outside backing plate when clamping. Also wrap it in plastic to keep it from sticking. Cover all outside holes with tape to keep the resin from oozing out.

If you need help just ask, the only problem is I'm down in Louisville on the weekend. Because of work I'm a separated household. So after five I could meet up.

Where in Louisville do you get your resin from?!?!?! I’m out here in Richmond (20min south of lex), my father still lives in Louisville and I could have him get it lol

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have read that 1.5 CSM soaks up the resin but this 1708.... Holy crap Batman!! 1708 drinks the juice like the Sahara Desert!

You know what’s funny is I felt the same way about 1708 at first but you have to think about what you are totally getting with 1708, yes it drinks more on application but you are getting a layer of CSM with a good layer of bi axial cloth as well plus structure support...... it would take a heck of a lot more CSM to get the same strength...... if I could afford it I would have 1708’ed my whole build just because it looks sooo much better too after resin is applied and it doesn’t want to string out during application like CSM does.

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Where in Louisville do you get your resin from?!?!?! I’m out here in Richmond (20min south of lex), my father still lives in Louisville and I could have him get it lol

Sent you a PM

It actually Jeffersonville IN, American Boat and Yacht.

MC_What have I done?!

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hell of a good dude too, it’s a bit more expensive than ordering from US Composites but you don’t have to wait a week for it either. Good resin made by US Plastics.

MC_What have I done?!

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I am going to name my garage, Hells Oven, because that is what it feels like with this miserable heat wave we are having right now. Even with 2 fans blowing in the boat, I am sweating like a pregnant nun at confession!

I did manage to get the Stringers PB'd to the hull, but didn't feel like taking pictures at the time. Tonight I will finish the filets and do the tabbing with 1708, depending on how well it goes I may gel coat the Ski locker and Fuel bay also. Thinking it might be best to work 3rd shift on the boat this weekend just so its not AS miserable as during the day with the sun blazing down.

MC_What have I done?!

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Seems I underestimated and you're correct, my second 5 gallon of resin should be delivered today :( Got down to 2 gallons left and decided that with everything I have left to glass in that I will need more, a lot more. This additional 5 gallons will put me at 12 gallons total, I just hope this will be enough.

MC_What have I done?!

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need some help guys, in preparing for motor and outdrive reinstall, besides knowing that I need a alignment tool, I know nothing else. I have checked the gimble bearing and it seems to be ok, and most the install kits that I have found include the gimble. If I can get the install kit and not have to buy the bearing then it should save me a good chunk of money.

Also, if anyone has a Mercruiser Alpha One Gen 2 alignment tool that is just sitting around and they want to sell it, that would be awesome! Just send me a PM. If not any recommendations on what alignment tool to buy? They seem to range from $30 to $125 depending on the brand, not sure if one is better than the other.

All advice is welcomed! :)

chevymaher

Commander
I got mine on E Bay for 25 bucks. I put 3 in so far with it. Secret it for me. Do not tighten anything down. Put it in. jerk it around. Tighten the back adjust the front done deal.

MC_What have I done?!

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow you made me look and work for this one. It been 2 years of crap I had to look through.

Here is the one I got it fits everything just about. Same guy I got mine from. Same price. But he got shipping for you now. Still isn't a bad price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpha-Brav...817487?hash=item2858b2fecf:g:B0MAAOSwBmJccUWb

You’re awesome my friend! Thank you for taking the time to dig this up for me! Just ordered, and under $50! A lot cheap than all the other brands I found.