1991 MonArk Legend 1800 FS

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1991 MonArk Legend 1800 FS

Great work, SS. That is the same shade of blue I'm thinking of for my boat. Love it. Those boat stands, what a great idea. I need to get my boat off of the trailer sometime this spring for some trailer maintanence. I'm liking those stands. Nice work. Your interior has that "showroom" look. Mine, I think, will be more "Romper Room" than "Showroom".

Man, I'd have a REAL hard time not cracking that Yami crate open. That's restraint right there, folks. I'm hoping for a repower next year. I see a lot of Yami's out here - those who run them swear by them. I'm sure yours will treat you well.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Great looking ride.Looks like water time soon.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Man, I'd have a REAL hard time not cracking that Yami crate open.

Stop it.. It's hard enough without you egging me on... LOL...

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Here are the missing photos I promised. When the project is over and I can catch my breath, I'll do a resto thread.

Hull patch from the inside -

010.jpg

Stringer ends put back in --

015.jpg

Hull cleaned with MEK --

006.jpg

Gas tank support and with weather stripping to prevent rubbing --

018.jpg

Gas Tank dropped in place --

020.jpg

Gas tank plumbed and wired and wiring going from helm to port console (stereo and misc accessories) --

026.jpg

To be continued in next post .. (max 6 picture limit reached)

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Continued
Inner rails and splashwell repaired and re-installed --

011.jpg

Forward bilge pump, gas tank blocking and isolation rubber on top of stringers installed. The bilge blower is just behind the tank but I didn't get a picture of it.

028.jpg

Deck installed using 18-8 Stainless Steel screws throughout--

032.jpg

Deck finished with two coats of Spar Polyurethane applied with a 3/8" nap roller, (thick coats). The underside and edges were done prior to the install.

038.jpg

The entire photo album can be seen at: http://s476.photobucket.com/albums/rr121/sschefer/

The album includes the 14' Western that I did in my spare time this winter.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Finished the bottom today. 1-1/2 gallons (5 coats) of Interlux VC Performance 2 part. This stuff is hard as nails, in fact it says right on the can, "Sand at 15 hours after the final coat or you won't be able to". I had a test piece and hit it with some 80 grit after 3 days and barely scratched it...

SNC00023.jpg

After looking at it for a hour or so after I pulled the tape I decided that a red stripe would look good, so off to West Marine I went. This is how it came out.

SNC00024.jpg

Now here's a mouthfull of rivets.. Note the staineless steel guard, this is where the bow chock hits on the trailer. It came with the keel guard I bought. Which, by the way, did not work out for me. Too many rivets and it looked like crap.

SNC00028.jpg

I finished all I could do on the boat for the day so I cleaned up the rust on the trailer, spot primed it and rattle canned it with some rustoleum. I came out nice. I'll put the bunks back on tomorrow with all new hardware.

SNC00030.jpg

Here's a shot of how the bow rider area came out with the new apholstery. I changed the width from 4" to 7" so when the pads are in, it's like one continous seat. The pads are being made, I'll show them later.

That's the marine vinyl on the cap. Looks almost like carpet.

SNC00017.jpg

Next week the trailer will go back under her and then the engine will go on. It'll be the Mariner since all the controls are already in and the Yami uses electronic controls vs. cable. I want to go fishing and the fastest way to get there now is with the Mariner.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Just a quick note about painting with Interlux 2 part products -- Closed cell foam rollers are great but you have to watch it with 2 part paints. The Interlux perfection and VC Performance break down the foam after about 20 minutes. If you start noticing the roller getting soft on the end, change it or it will soon start to tear and come apart. I checked with TAP plasitics and the general concensous was that I was using the best roller for the job. So, this is just one of those things your have to live with. I went through 15 rollers on the bottom alone. Buy them in the contractors 5 pack if you can find them that way. HD has them.

bear_69cuda

Commander

That Paint is incredible sschefer!

Love that red pin!

Seats are awesome...

Color scheme is insanely cool!

You've transcended that boat to a much higher lever of existence my friend! Well done!

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the kind words. It's gratifying to know that all this work can actually be seen. I'm a Systems Engineer by trade and rarely does my work get seen. If it does, it's only noticed for a short time and then it becomes the norm. I'll bet lots of us have jobs like that and that's why we build these beautiful boats.

Maybe it's so people don't call me a nerd because I work on computers for a living...LOL.

North Beach

Commander

WOW! Now I feel like a HACK!

Great job on the paint.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Thanks NB, you have to remember, this is my fourth boat. The other three were my hacks.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Well folks this is it... The next month will be spent just tightening things up and going over my punch list until I have everything as perfect as it will get.

Heres the final photos..

Side shot:

SNC00032.jpg

The Mariner on the new Jack Plate -- That's full up and the cav plate is 6" above the bottom of the boat. When it's full down it's about 1/2" below. The plate is rated for 5" of lift but mine goes a full 6-1/2". Not sure why, there's nothing in the manual that say's not to run it full up or full down.

SNC00033.jpg

The transom all decked out --

SNC00034.jpg

Ready to hook up for a ride to the gas station ---

SNC00043.jpg

This kinda shows how well the patch came out --

SNC00040.jpg

I just wanted to say Thank You to all the folks on this board. This was one that I couldn't have done without all the fantastic people and info found here.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Fantastic boat sschefer!

Well done! Well done!

Looks incredible with motor mounted! Bet it flys! I love how the engine color matches the seats!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks Amazing. Showroom new. I especially love the red pin stripe. I think you need to add a white Starcraft logo to it :)

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I plan to add the Starcraft 2009 logo and graphics. You can see what I'm after at http://www.starcraftmarine.com look at the aluminum boats and you'll see where I got the idea for the paint scheme (sans the red stripe). It pretty much started with the VC Performance Epoxy bottom paint only being available in white. The original plan was to do it all in Interlux Perfection Platiunum but that would only give me 72 hours of protection in the water and it's not bunk trailer rated.

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Awsome job SS! I have a VERY similar situation. I was feeling a lot of discouragement, regret and dread. After reading your thread I have to say, (trying to not sound too sappy) you are my inspiration. However looking at all the work I still have yet to do and all the work you have already completed is giving me anxiety attacks:D.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Awsome job SS! I have a VERY similar situation. I was feeling a lot of discouragement, regret and dread. After reading your thread I have to say, (trying to not sound too sappy) you are my inspiration. However looking at all the work I still have yet to do and all the work you have already completed is giving me anxiety attacks:D.

Thank you for the kind words. The hard work pay's off and possibly the biggest way to say it is... No Payments ! Hang in there, you just have to keep trudging along. Every detail counts and shows.

APPALOOSA2

Petty Officer 1st Class

sschefer you did a absolutely great job and I love the colors you chose.
I went to the Starcraft site and I would just forget those decals. Looks much better with out them in my opinion.

You should be really proud of yourself !

PS whats the brother or was it brotherinlaw think ?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

PS whats the brother or was it brotherinlaw think ?

Not sure, my Mom (82) wants to go for a ride and took some pictures. I'd take her but she always out fishes me. She sent them to my brother but I haven't heard from him. He's probably p.o.'d but he also has no idea how much work was involved.

Re the graphics. I'm thinking that maybe I'll just leave it too.