1989 Four Winns bring back from the dead project

chevymaher

Commander
I got used to it. When I put the Keel and 2 bulkheads back in. I was shocked how sturdy it become with just that.

Get a laser and look under the boat. Now is the time to "blueprint" it as they call it. See if the chines are straight. Any waviness in the hull? Now is the time to block and support it make it straight. It takes a while to relax it into shape.

Once the structure goes back in it wont move.

Doing this makes the boat have less turbulence as it moves through the water. That is a good thing.

There are some uneven areas of the hull. I didn't notice if they were there when the boat was still fully assembled and waterlogged. The trailer, being structurally deficient due to rot, isn't supporting the boat as squarely as it should either. This is kind of the reason that I just want to take it off the trailer all together to build the structural parts. I just want to make sure that blocking the keel is OK with no structure to speak of inside. The last thing I need at this point is to split the hull right down the middle because it can't handle the weight of the boat and my arse inside of it working. Also, I know that bigger boats use keel blocking front and rear, as well as 4 stands to stabilize it. Would my 17 footer need 4, or just 2 at the rear area? I'm thinking of just using jack stands and wood, rather than spending $300 or more for used stands off craigslist that I may never use again.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
A lot of guys on this forum build cradles to support their boats during the rebuild. It doesn’t really take much lumber to do. I left mine on my trailer, just added some 2x6’s between the wobble rollers and the hull and mine stayed straight. It flexed a little until I put the Stringers in, but became like steel once the deck was in.

chevymaher

Commander
I used 2x4's and rocks LOL. One on the boat. One to the ground. Used flat rocks as shims. Here at my house if is free. Use a floor jack to get it where it should be and shim in the brace. Look in the corner of the garage. I dont throw anything away.

Mine was buckle city under there. Strangely it was right where the stringers were gone. Co-Incidence I think not.

Water freezing and stress of running warped it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I choose the route to make a movable cradle for my little 14 foot tri-hull. And that is because the trailer was in total need of rebuilding as well. And that cradle was really nothing special other then supporting the hull in multiple places and with installed casters, I could easily move it around too. I built my cradle out of decking wood. It is thicker then 1 by's but not as thick as 2 bys. But the deck wood was so much wider giving me material to cut to fit the hull better. And wood screws were used exclusively so I can take the cradle apart after the project is finished.

I attached my cradle setup to give you an idea what you can do if you decide to go that way. After setting the hull on this cradle, I then installed side supports on teh cradle to keep teh sides from splaying out as well.

Craddle - (10)-M.jpg

Craddle - (12)-M.jpg

Craddle - (16)-M.jpg

Floor-8.JPG

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Woo.....Nice work there! Huh...wait aminute that's gm280 project. Geez thought it was the bearer of the thread.
Thats 1 heck of a cradle their.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Woo.....Nice work there! Huh...wait aminute that's gm280 project. Geez thought it was the bearer of the thread.
Thats 1 heck of a cradle their.

I will take any kind word I can regardless what thread they appear... :laugh:

Just trying to explain how a cradle works and what you can do to make one.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I will take any kind word I can regardless what thread they appear... :laugh:

Just trying to explain how a cradle works and what you can do to make one.

Your Awesome GM! Freakin water bender!
funny-profile-pictures-1.jpg

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I do love that cradle gm280 , was that a vintage Cradle from last decade? :hand: :bolt:

lol. Sorry.....these things come to me. :boom:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I do love that cradle gm280 , was that a vintage Cradle from last decade? :hand: :bolt:

lol. Sorry.....these things come to me. :boom:

Actually you are correct. I have noticed that the cradle is starting to petrify into rock now. Go figure... :whistle:

That's what happens when you drag out, what should have been less then a year project, to multiple decades... :cool:

BruceShark

Seaman Apprentice
How hard was it to grind up under the bow seats? I've looked at my bowrider and see that it's all one piece like your's. I'm hoping to not have to take the cap off, unless it's absolutely neccessary.

kpg7121

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok; back to the boat. Again, I overthink things sometimes and this hole in the water is no different. I haven't torn the engine down further than pulling the ex. manifold and riser off. The lower end turns, but the cam is seized in the head. Cylinder walls look rusty through the plug holes. Both the manifold and riser are eroded away between the exhaust and water passages. Perhaps this is why the engine is junk; perhaps it happened while it sat for 7 years. Don't know, and it doesn't matter. What does matter is that finding good used anything for the OMC 2.3 is close to impossible at this point. An aftermarket manifold and riser is about a grand by themselves. I watch ebay, FB marketplace, and craigslist regularly, and the stuff doesn't come up often. I don't want to say that I'm down on this boat, but I am a bit. After rebuilding the transom and stringers, I still have to address the engine, outdrive, and trailer (rotted beyond sensible repair). Even picking up another boat with a 4.3 for a swap seems like a lot to put into this thing. If I did that, it seems that it may be the better candidate for a restoration, as it already is decent mechanically. If it came on a serviceable trailer, that's another strike on the Four Winns. I know many of these projects get to a point where the owner questions whether they're doing the right thing, and I guess I'm there. It ain't even pretty. The stripe on the side was painted over the factory graphic, and it looks like crap. At minimum, it needs to be sanded and repainted. So, it needs everything, it isn't even good looking, and the trailer is junk. Wasting my time? I got it for nothing, and could probably sell the Cobra parts as-is for a couple hundred.

Delete

How hard was it to grind up under the bow seats? I've looked at my bowrider and see that it's all one piece like your's. I'm hoping to not have to take the cap off, unless it's absolutely neccessary.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten that far yet. Progress has stopped for the moment. Lots of other projects have taken precedence, sadly. Like so many others, we also had to set up a work space for our son's "back to school", which is still here at home through Zoom and Google classroom. I'm hoping to get back to the wreck when things settle a bit. I hoped to have the wood and glass done by the time the snow flies, but now I'll be happy if it's stripped clean and ready for woodwork by then.

chevymaher

Commander
It is a pain I wont say it isn't. But once you get the stringers out of the way you can lay under it to work. I got the deck separated with a whiz wheel from under it. The section under the hallway. Once that and the stringers are out. Like I said you grow to dread laying there. But it is doable. Like hanging drywall in a closet. Hitting yourself in the face with a hatchet.

Been a couple of months, and not a lot has gone on with the boat. I've been focused on other things, and the mostly bare hull is covered over for the winter. I don't expect much to go on until the spring reawakening. Hopefully, some parts acquisitions here and there to further the cause and maybe some interior panel building. Maybe on nicer days I'll do some sanding to get the terrible black paint off, since that's still exposed. I think I'm going to eventually paint the hull below the rub rail and also bottom-paint it with one of the anti-fouling paints for fresh water. The intention for this boat is to live seasonally in the lake at a campground, so I figure that an anti-fouler can only help.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Been a couple of months, and not a lot has gone on with the boat. I've been focused on other things, and the mostly bare hull is covered over for the winter. I don't expect much to go on until the spring reawakening. Hopefully, some parts acquisitions here and there to further the cause and maybe some interior panel building. Maybe on nicer days I'll do some sanding to get the terrible black paint off, since that's still exposed. I think I'm going to eventually paint the hull below the rub rail and also bottom-paint it with one of the anti-fouling paints for fresh water. The intention for this boat is to live seasonally in the lake at a campground, so I figure that an anti-fouler can only help.

As long as the lake isn’t brackish, I would forego the anti-fowling paint. You can clean any fresh water scum off the gelcoat with the works toilet bowl cleaner, and it doesn’t take long. Just my opinion.