1989 Four Winns bring back from the dead project

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I’m with chevymaher on this one. I would do everything possible to not have to pull the cap. That’s just me, other guys have done it with success. To me it just creates way more work.

Also something to note. The same person I was talking with on FB posted a picture of his engine mounts per my request. I had questioned mine earlier in this thread. His are metal brackets through-bolted to the stringers, just like mine. I guess that's how Four Winns built the 170 in 89. Here's his pic:

Attachments

• photo338451.jpg
    photo338451.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 3

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Yeah, there’s about as many configurations and materials of motor mounts as there are boats. In your angle mount style, hopefully there is some drainage set up to drain water on the outside of the stringers. That large hole to tighten the mounts bolts looks like a thirsty mouth hoping to be fed.....

is there a plate on the inside of the stringer that those three bolts go through, or do they simply bolt through the stringer? Seems pretty weak from my vantage point.

(3) 1/2" bolts through the stringer, with large flat washers, lock washers, and nuts. Probably don't need a plate there; there shouldn't be any inward force once the engine mounts are tightened to the brackets. All of the force should be down from gravity, plus whatever twisting torque the little 2.3 can muster, which should also be vertical forces at the mounts. When I redo the stringers, I'm contemplating fabbing up a nut-plate and glassing it in, which would eliminate the need for the boxes. Of course, an anti-corrosion sealer on the bolts so no water can get in once it's all together. Then, when I pour the foam, it should back right up to the back of the plate. If my plan is flawed, please let me know. I'd rather know now so I can plan the right method before I get there. As it is, I've been playing with parts more than anything lately. Every time I get some free time, an afternoon thunderstorm comes a-rollin' on in.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Sounds like a good plan to me, at least from where I’m sitting. That plate being glassed in will enable you to seal off that cavity and keep the water out. You’ll be able to tighten those angle mount bolts without the need to hold nuts on the other side of the stringer. Good deal.

Looks like I'll need to take a couple days off from the project. I was working in the garage last night, drilling out a hole in a metal bracket with a Uni-bit. Of course, not taking safety in mind, I was kneeling on it to hold it. Well, the bit grabbed hard and spun the bracket out from below my knee, and right into the inside of my left wrist. A little blood, a fair amount of swelling (with blood behind it judging by the color of my skin), and yeah, it didn't tickle. Within 10 minutes, I could barely move my wrist. A friend who's a nurse said it appeared to be a hematoma. Of course, since it isn't broken, I'm not going to the doctor unless it gets much worse. Felt much better this morning, but after working for few minutes, pain and stiffness came back with a vengeance. I guess I need to rest it for a couple days.

Thanks Y'all. As the old saying goes, stupid hurts. I know it was my own fault; trying to save time. And now it cost me, you guessed it, much more time than I "saved".

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like the same scenario I experienced a couple days ago now as well. When the drill bit breaks through the ending cut, it so many times does grab the metal and the force is directed into the turning torque and not cutting that metal. Hence WE get bloody pain... Hope you get to feeling better soon. I can already use my hand without any...okay much pain... :encouragement:

Chris51280

Ensign
And I thought I was the only clumsy one. That's why it's called blood sweat and tears went into this. Just hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
I don't know how many times i cut myself with the angle grinder through the glove or the pants while getting rid of the old glass

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
And when you start grinding glass remember you need a respirator with P100 cartridges. The combination ones (fume cartridge + the particle insert) are good but for grinding glass the P100 is the best. This is why I don't do big projects anymore. I'll fix a bit of rot here and there but no more than that. Next boat if there is one will be nearly new.

Looks much better today. Still sore and I can't clench my fist too tightly yet, but any improvement is an improvement. Great minds ?!?!? think alike, eh gm280 ?

Attachments

• photo338654.jpg
    photo338654.jpg
    620.3 KB · Views: 3
Yeah. Mine hit right where you see all the veins running through to your hand. Looking even better today, and hurts a lot less. I still took the day off from boat destruction and brought my 10 year old son on an impromptu trip to Cape Cod. Went to Falmouth and Woods Hole for lunch and took a nice walk around. Then we went to Sandwich and hit the beach for awhile. He had a great day, and to be honest, so did I. Love watching him have fun and seeing new places. He was really excited to go over the Bourne bridge, and I made it a point to go over the Sagamore bridge on the way back so he'd see both. It was a good day off.