1989 Cheetah 210es restore - not looking forward to this

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: 1989 Cheetah 210es restore - not looking forward to this

My boat took right at 9 gallons in the summer, and it is a big 22'er. Nice work on the stringers too!

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Doing a fine job . A little tip on getting your foam up to a good temp. I stored mine in the laundry set tub to bring it to an 85-90 degree temp and had the garage at room temp. I just filled it up full of warm water set the gallon containers in there and let it sit for 30 minutes. I had a great expansion rate. My boat is 18 ft .I ordered 3 of the 8 cubic feet kits. I only used about 1/4 of the third kit.
I figure with my measurements I needed 18 cubic feet if it expanded properly so I was not out by much. I ordered extra for my bud to insulate around his live well .

You can measure the length of the tallest stringer ...then the width between the next stringer . Then figure out the area as if everything was square. Then take the shortest of the 2 stringers and figure the area using the difference of the tallest and shortest stringer, then subtract it from you first area. That will give you a ball park figure then add the extra you figure for waist and expansion failure . Same figures as Bob mentioned.

It is not exact but worked for me

Also make sure you make enough holes for expansion because if there is not enough you can get air lock in a corner ,say if the foam expands to all sides before it gets to the corner it will leave it empty and just push excess out your relief hole you poured it in. It will only compress the air so much as the foam will then expand to least resistance. I was informed this from a guy who sprays expansion foam in houses etc for a living.

Jack

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok thanks everybody, ill do some math before i order the foam and see how close i can get, hopefully ill get another side job here soon so i can order the rest of my supplies and get the stringers completely finished and get going with foam and the floor. And im also in the middle of trying to find a better job so we can pay off all of our debt faster, so we can buy a 2nd place on the lake in the next few years hopefully but only time will tell.

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

been a bit and with the cold weather rolling in,I finally got the garage warmed up and did some mockup of the engine mounts and front stringers and ski locker area. now to do a bit more grinding and alot more cleanup and order some more materials and get this thing knocked out, I'll probably do some grinding on christmas weekend hopefully and get it ready to bed the rest of the structure in. Also what kind of wood is everybody using for the cleats?

9a6f6a36.jpg

5ceceada.jpg

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Backing plates for the cleats?

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The pieces of wood most people attach to the side of the stringer to screw the floor down to, most people call them cleats not sure the correct term is though

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

bulkheads? the pieces that go across from stringer to stringer?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Do you mean you are going to place some 3/4" strips of wood on each side of your stringer on the top to make them wider. Kind of like and I-Beam? If so then use Douglas Fir or Southern Yellow Pine. Both fair will in marine usage and if coated with resin and mat will last for decades as long as you predrill your screw holes and fill withe 3M-4200 sealant when attaching the deck or anything else to the deck.

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bingo, thanks wood

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wow its been a while, busy with the holidays and a few side jobs but i finally have a small update. My dads machine shop got a job to build 5 350 marine engines last week for a local marina that's going to re-power some deck boats, so it got me motivated to finally tear into mine a bit and check things out.
So far everything looks good but it will still be getting a complete reseal and valve job etc. and im going to order a comp marine cam for it while im at it. I also ordered more resin and 1708 and my pour in foam from us composites so hopefully I will get going again soon on finishing the stringers and floor and get on to the good stuff.

9f095bf6.jpg

2f6fd715.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Good deal, pix are good. Pix of engines are GREAT! Is Diesel eating his weight in kibble everyday yet? Bet he get a big chew toy from Santa-Dog!

Still easily headed towards a 2012 season re-splash! Keep making a little progress and it'll come together.

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dustin everything is looking great , Been awhile since I been here as I read alot of threads. I don't know what you used for cleats but my boat come with 2x2 from the factory. I just ripped up some csm as it doesn't like to take corners and this way you know it is sealed. They only used it on the main stringer but I put them on all stringers for added strength, but like WOG said some use 3/4 inch . I attached the cleats to the stringers and sealed the screws with the proper 3m sealer before I put my second coat of 1708 on. I like the idea the sealer also adds the ability to see where the screw is without grinding all the glass down, if you ever have to do a repair some time

Jack

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys and jb diesel is well on his way of eating a ton and he definitely got a big bone for christmas, and thanks jack my boat was so rotted i didn't find any cleats if there were any but i need to decide on what to use as i will be needing them in the next few weeks hopefully

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's been a while since I've had an update since things have picked up at the shop but I have got a few things accomplished on the weekends. i got the front stringers and engine mounts all glassed in, my friend welded up a few bad spots I found on my gas tank so i was able to pressure test it to make sure its ready to go.
And finally last weekend i stayed up really late and got the floor cut out and last night i cut out for the gas tank inspection cover and ski locker door, now today im going to attach cleats and glass them in and get the ski locker bottom put in and glassed so i can get started on the floor and foam soon.

e575f157.jpg

cabcc2a7.jpg

ccafacbd.jpg

fcde4774.jpg

d0b2ca6c.jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Wow Dustin,
I hadn't been by in a while...you are crankin it out, Man! Everything is looking PRIMO!!! Very nice work...
GT

jbcurt00

Staff member

Man , the hull & glass work @ the keyhole & motor box looks great! As does the rough fit of the deck & ski locker! I think that a lot of people use BilgeKote in the ski locker & motor well. But there are probably other alternatives too. The Teak ski locker lid will good after some attention. That stuff cleans up good almost no matter what it looks like before you hit it w/ sandpaper. Don't forget to wipe it down good to strip the oil off the surface before you seal it up. Boatworks Today has some good teak finishing videos on YouTUBE.

Here's an AL gas tank installation webpage, if you need it.

Keep up the good work.

Have a good weekend! I'm sure Diesel is enjoying the snow!

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys and for the ski locker and tank area im just going to use some enamel with hardener in it but get some bildgecoat for the bildge area but cant decide if i want to do gray or white yet, and thanks jb for that link I've been trying to think of what to use under the tank to space it up now im about to head to lowes to do some misc shopping for things and get to work after i get some heat going in the garage. And unfortunately we only got a dusting of snow that has already melted into mud so diesel hasn't been able to enjoy any good snow yet hopefully something soon though because i want to see how he reacts to it.

And i need to find some plugs for the ski locker lid as it has to bolts in it that i dont like the look of before i start to refinish it then ill put my wife to work sanding it and cleaning the paint off of the window frames.

jbcurt00

Staff member

And i need to find some plugs for the ski locker lid as it has to bolts in it that i dont like the look of before i start to refinish it then I'll Politely, with great trepidation, genuine affection & immense gratitude, ask my beatiful, I'm lucky to have her, kindest, most gentle, and the true love of my life, wife to work sanding it and cleaning the paint off of the window frames.
It's almost Valentines fellas, watch what & how you say stuff, even here......Their watching. :facepalm:
It's kind of like their pre-game show to the SuperBowl-like event on 2/14:eek:.....<<-- May violate my own previously stated advise!

The most important change in the quote is hard to find, and I would hate for anyone to miss it, so I highlighted it in red!:D

Anyway, you can try Woodcraft (I know there is 1 both Lexington & Louisville) for teak-like grain pattern wood, and cut you own. Or buy teak plugs<<---3/4" but others sizes may be available...... There used to be a wood flooring supplier out towards Mt Washington, and in Lexington. I also had 1.5" wood plugs cut out of Brazillion Cherry that I supplied, at a woodshop near downtown Lex, a few blocks away from DeSha's downtown. Back & away from Rupp Arena.... They sold woodturning & woodworking tools, but I don't think they sold wood. That was quite awhile ago. As I remember the building was white & it was around back, the front of the property &./or building was an antique shop.

Mothers Mag polish has been recommended for polishing the AL frames, I'm not sure how much different it is from the Mothers Marine metal polish sold at iBoats.com.:)