1989 Cheetah 210es restore - not looking forward to this

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: 1989 Cheetah 210es complete rebuild - project blood sweat & beers

Looks good Dustin,
It's always a good feeling to start putting them back together. The stringers and then the deck will be back in before you know it.
Great work.

Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Very nice work.....its a good feeling when you can look at your handy work and enjoy!

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nice work Dustin! What almost a month & no update???:eek: Great name for your new family addition! Better buy stock in Purina or Iams! He's gonna be a beast! My Jack Russell has applied for the 1st mate position in my FireFlite. But the warden has rights of 1st refusal:rolleyes:

If you find a good glass & resin supplier 'near' you, please let me know. My parents are still in Louisville & I'm in Huntington, WV about once a quarter for work. But the killer is usually the HazMat shipping. Nearer is clearly better.

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks jb and diesel is already doubled in size and I've been working on the boat but with no post I've just kinda lost contact with this forum and been busy with alot of things getting ready for winter etc. but after i got home from work today your post made me get off my *** and lay a little more glass down so i can post another update.

And me and my wife have also decided to go with marine vinyl flooring now instead of snap in carpet and were also going to look into seadeck to cover the swim platform with now so the dogs nails dont scrape up the gelcoat when we have to lift him in etc.

now onto a few pics from todays work

2350739e.jpg

00a8d65f.jpg

ef23fea7.jpg

almost forgot i did some work on a friends 66 mustang for this beater scooter to putt around camp grounds etc. with next summer i cant get my wife off of it on nice days though so hopefully it makes it to the summer hahaha

6d2c964c.jpg

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

@DJ:
Glad you're back. I wish you had posted yesterday, because I was looking for your thread and it had rolled back into the archives a bit... I am facing a similar issue on my transom (not exactly flat) and I had remembered that you had encountered the same issue. I am glad JBC poked you out of hibernation because you were/are doing a great job. I may hit you up via PM or something for details on your transom work.

Keep up the good work...

~rpm

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, and yes my transom had to be done in 3 pieces as the outer glass was shaped that way so i cut the transom as one big sheet then measured out all the flat sections and cut the transom to fit the flat sections them slapped them in and it all fit up perfectly, if you have any major questions just shoot me a pm and ill try to get on here and update things more often

BobsGlasstream

Commander

The scooter looks like fun. It will also keep the wife off you for a while too. LOL
Glad to see you back and keeping the project going.
Looks Good
Bob

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: 1989 Cheetah 210es restore - not looking forward to this

Hey Dustin,

I have been reading through your resto and am impressed with your work. That is one fine looking boat and you are doing it up right, great job...

Your thread title says, "-not looking forward to this", but I sure am looking forward to the day you get this beauty splashed!

Best regards,
GT1M

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys and I wasn't looking forward to this as im not big into wood working and its also my first time playing with fiberglass but im getting there slowly, and a friends girlfriend named the boat already its going to be blood sweat & beers lol. I'm just ready to be done with the stringers and floor so i can move onto everything else and get it ready to splash in a few months then we can enjoy it all summer

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

You can use nautolex marine vinyl... gets great reviews here and cheaper than seadek...
Are your stringers lifted off the hull at all?
What did you bed them with, PB or PL?

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm going with nautolex inside the boat and seadek on the swim platform, and the stringers have wooden dowels holding them off the hull and bedded with pl

johnnya1966

Cadet

I'm confused about the wooden dowels used to hold the stringers off the floor. How did you cut the dowels? And also, how did you insert them under the stringers? Great job so far. I have subscribed to your thread and will be keeping an eye on your progress.

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I cut the wooden dowels into 1" pieces and sat them onto the hull then put the stringer on top of them, a lot of people use Popsicle sticks or dowels before they bed the stringers in. You need them spaced up a bit to get pl under them to provide a bit of flex if or when it happens or it will crack the hull

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

f63aa9b8.jpg

slowly getting closer now to figure out the engine mounts and the front stringers then to order more 1708 as I've only got about a yard left and only about 2 more gallons of resin, also does anybody know a round about how much 2lb foam i will need, im hoping with the next order to get everything i will need to get the stringers done and the deck in

15eee3ee.jpg

And my samples of seadek came in today so this is the color were going with on the swim platform

Mike Lammert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

call these guys,

http://www.aeromarineproducts.com/

The owner is a really nice guy, helped me out with the amount I needed....they also were the cheapest I could find.

You should also price US Composites....I ordered half of my foam from aeromarine, but needed way more than I thought, and ordered my second half from US Composites....The foam was exactly the same, however about 40% cheaper from US Composites...as far as how much, its all a cubic foot measurements, so lengthXwidthXdepth and order extra....I filled one compartment and let it overflow, cut it off and used the cut off pieces in the bottom of the next compartments....Good luck with it, its looking great!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

by the way temperature is a huge factor in how much the foam expands, thus impacting how much you need.

Mike Lammert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

by the way temperature is a huge factor in how much the foam expands, thus impacting how much you need.

Archbuilder is correct. Temperature and how well you mix. I believe they say you get best expansion above 80 degrees, however when I did mine it was mid 90's out.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

I don't Know much about foam but I think that the temp of the hull will also make a difference on how the foam reacts. The hotter the hull the faster the reaction will be and the greater the expansion. Also the hotter the chemicals are the same applys hotter the chemical temps the faster it will kick and the expansion will be greater. You can use a lot of different pouring methods to get the result you want. One more thing when you buy the foam, count on 10 -20 % loss because you can 't pour it in one pour. You will use several mixing buckets with some loss in each one. I always use bucket linners and after it cures you can pull the foam out of the bucket and reuse the linner. Mixing is extremly important so use a good mixer on a drill. Also use good gloves and old clothes. If you cut the foam I would seal the cut areas with paint or resin. It is not that hard to pour the foam.
Have fun
Bob