1989 Bayliner Capri 17' Restore Conversion from "L" Drive*UPDATED 9/30/08*

JoeCrow

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1988 Bayliner Capri 17' Restore, I/O Convert *UPDATED PICS 9/25/08*

Thanks DR
For some reason, I always thought there would be more than just rivets holding the cap on (glass or resin or something else in there)
Were they all aluminum rivets, or were they brass or something else?
Thanks again for all the info

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Nice work getting the cap off! And hanging it from the ceiling is a great idea.

Is that a gas fill hose and vent hose I see near the transom? Where is the gas tank on that boat?

maxum247

Lieutenant

Yes sir! Doc! Gott'er looking good.

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks DR
For some reason, I always thought there would be more than just rivets holding the cap on (glass or resin or something else in there)
Were they all aluminum rivets, or were they brass or something else?
Thanks again for all the info

Besides the Rivets (which are aluminum) there were only a couple boats. I guess it should be noted that there was some sort of Silicoin sealant that was caulked around the seam as well but mine was so rotted away it just came apart easily. If it were a newer boat maybe going around the seam with a putty knife or the like will cut that small seal

Cheers!

-DrCox

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice work getting the cap off! And hanging it from the ceiling is a great idea.

Is that a gas fill hose and vent hose I see near the transom? Where is the gas tank on that boat?

Indeed, the aft end did have the fuel line and cap mounted on the cap of the boat. It took 3 screws and 2 hose clams to get off the actual fill soup. The hose separated and I left it in place.

As far as the gas tank it appears to be aluminum of maybe stainless (unknown at this time) The tank is swuare, appears to be about 20-25 gallons. It is located under the deck just forward of the motor area. If you look at the pic below you can see the metal tank with hoses coming out of it (see the light blue circular thing)

PICT0181.jpg

zach103

Commander

looks good

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Indeed, the aft end did have the fuel line and cap mounted on the cap of the boat. It took 3 screws and 2 hose clams to get off the actual fill soup. The hose separated and I left it in place.

As far as the gas tank it appears to be aluminum of maybe stainless (unknown at this time) The tank is swuare, appears to be about 20-25 gallons. It is located under the deck just forward of the motor area. If you look at the pic below you can see the metal tank with hoses coming out of it (see the light blue circular thing)

PICT0181.jpg

The tank is most likely aluminum, as that is common for "belly" tanks. If the hoses (especially the fill) are in good condition and show no cracks or splitting, treat them with care. The 1.5" fill hose is very expensive, and don't even think about substituting radiator hose. You need to use CG approved hose with the red stripe down the side. Same for any fuel line and vent hose. If you need to replace them, there is a store on ebay that sells these hoses by the foot at the best price I have found.

So how is the floor, transom and stringers? Solid and dry, I hope!!!

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Man, Reading all these forums and actually diving into my boat is teaching me new stuff everyday. Especially that just because the PO says his boat was something does NOT mean its true. I cite the following examples below:

1.) PO Stated Trailer was factory, not so.

2.) PO Stated It was a bayliner Capri 15'. not so, it is actually a 17'.

3.) *RECENT* PO Stated it was a 1988 model bayliner....
So as I was tearing apart my decking I saw the lable on my fuel tank. So I says to myself "Self, Why does your fuel tak have a manufacture date of MARCH 1989? Is my boat NOT a 1988? So...I look Elswhere. I locate the hull identification numbers and it looks like it ends in 89... Still researching wether or not this means its an 89. But I am doubtful they would go back a year later and install a new fuel tank...Who knows though.

PICT0010.jpg

PICT00012.jpg

-DrCox

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well Folks, Look what your friend DrCox did so YOU dont have too...

So I went to set my depth for my circ saw as I have read 1000 times here at Iboats. I take a look at the only exposed piece of plywood to guage the depth. I scope out my bildge:
PICT0008.jpg

Lucky me... The Manufacturer put another piece of ply only about 3" wide along the edge of the bildge...and I took the bait. Plywood is onlt 1/2"...Saw set for 1"

PICT0007.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

So yea, cut a nice hole in my ALUMINUM fuel tank. Lucky for me I didnt spark and blow up. I feel really stupid that I did not take the propper precautions, but hey, live and learn. Wanted to post for all you other B-liner first timers.

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I only did a little today, have to work in a couple hours, and my Saw is dead. That poor little 18v circ saw does the trick with small jobs, but she just cant hack this. Going to have to buy a new circ saw and a reciprocating saw to continue, going to grab that next week.

--on A side note, god I love projects, give you an excuse to buy all those new toys you want in the name of progress. My favorite new one is the Radial arm saw...yummy!

Anyways, Here is the initial look at the small amount so far:

Plywood is rotted, but it appears to be "Dry" rot as opposed to "wet" rot. I am not sure what the correct term is but the wood is very brittle, dry but retains the nice golden/red color of plywood. Some of it has the black/grey look of wet rot. Here is a look at the plywood, but right below it you see a nice rotted (stringer?)

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0011.jpg

Shot of my Marine foam...Have not taken a look to see if its wet or not.

PICT0009.jpg

Will continue to hack small pieces away over the weekend as battery life permits :) Next week will grab the other saws and should finish hollowing out inside.

I think regardless of the condition of the wood below, I am going to replace it all. If not for the experience f doing it, for the security kowing that it has all been redone right and there are no spots lurking in the dark

-DrCox

maxum247

Lieutenant

Sorry about the tank, that's tough! If you take it out to be repaired, have it professionally cleaned inside, I've been fighting a 30 gallon tank that sat for a dozen years with fuel in it that dryed out over time. It's been four years and have failed to get the inside clean yet.
Each year a little more trash breaks free inside so I have to filter it constantly. It's like fine powder and the filters have a hard time stopping it from getting to the engine.
It's getting old cleaning the tank every year the best way I can, as it can't be removed!
Wish I had removed my tank and had it cleaned while the deck was out or replaced it, it would have been money well spent!:(

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988(1989?) Bayliner Capri 17' Restore, I/O Convert *UPDATED PICS 9/27/08*

... ya Doc real tuff break on the gas tank but awesome work and info. was always curious on capri rubrail and split.

congrats

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

... ya Doc real tuff break on the gas tank but awesome work and info. was always curious on capri rubrail and split.

congrats

Hey AZ,

I see you have a B-Liner 19 footer with a 125 force. How does your boat do plane / speed when towing or when people are on board? I am going to eventually chose my power and wanted to see if a certain HP was going to be sluggish.

-DrCox

azlakes

... well doc gotta say it does just fine. with 2 to 4 adults we can plane up and get scooting along to about 35-40. towing a tuber is not a problem. i run a hydrofoil and keep the O/B in pretty good shape. fuels always pretty fresh and hull polished.

watching how your gunna fill that big hole in your transom and hang a sea horse off the back is pretty kewl.

best of luck

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

... well doc gotta say it does just fine. with 2 to 4 adults we can plane up and get scooting along to about 35-40. towing a tuber is not a problem. i run a hydrofoil and keep the O/B in pretty good shape. fuels always pretty fresh and hull polished.

watching how your gunna fill that big hole in your transom and hang a sea horse off the back is pretty kewl.

best of luck

Thanks for the best wishes,
When you are talking about a hydrofoil are you speaking of the [triangular] fin that you can bolt on just above the prop?

-DrCox

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

*update*

Its official!, Shes 19 Years old. I went to http://www.boatfax.com and popped in my HIN number. Told me the address where the dealer USED to be (now out of buisness) and this important info:

Certification Date: April 1989
Model Year: 1989

So I will update my post title :) Man this is fun. I wanna find some pirates treasure when I pull away more of the decking :)

-DrCox

shinallb

Cadet
Re: 1989 Bayliner Capri 17' Restore Conversion from "L" Drive*UPDATED PICS 9/27/08*

Re: 1989 Bayliner Capri 17' Restore Conversion from "L" Drive*UPDATED PICS 9/27/08*

DrCox

I am enjoying your rebuild, as your boat is very much like mine (only a little newer - http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=278258). I found in mine that the wet foam and rotted deck were isolated from the transom to just a few inches past the rear of the seat bases.

Check your stringers. They are fiberglass over plywood, and in some places the glass is thin, allowing water to saturate the wood inside. Mine are rotted along the same area as the rotted deck, even though the glass is still hard.

I will be leaving the seat bases intact since they are dry and very well glassed to the dry part of the deck. I will have to replace the slotted portion where the seats attach. Mine is an inboard, and the transom is rotted at the bottom, so I am almost stuck in my build right at the moment; gotta sort out how to pull the engine.

Keep at it, you're making great progress.

azlakes

Thanks for the best wishes,
When you are talking about a hydrofoil are you speaking of the [triangular] fin that you can bolt on just above the prop?

-DrCox

... yup thats right, the foil has done well for a few seasons. i have a bid in for s-tabs. there are reports that fins can crack cav plates.

Attachments

• finny.jpg
    finny.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 0

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ready for more advice

Ready for more advice

Ok,

Fuel tank removed, found rot on one side of the boards, other side is dry. Does not matter, its all coming out anyways.
PICT0026-1.jpg

Here is my question, how do I remove the decking from where it connects to the hull without damaging the hull? I suppose this goes for all joints that are connected to the hull. See pic below. Thanks in advance!
PICT0023.jpg

-DrCox

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1989 Bayliner Capri 17' Restore Conversion from "L" Drive*UPDATED 9/30/08*

Re: 1989 Bayliner Capri 17' Restore Conversion from "L" Drive*UPDATED 9/30/08*

Have you decided how you are going to convert this to an outboard yet? If not, now is a good time to decide so you can make some structural changes to meet your design.

If you are going with an outboard motor bracket, either purchased or home made, I suggest you beef up the area of the transom where the bracket will bolt on. Adding a pair of knee braces would add a lot of regidity to the transom. Build the knee braces with a large mating surface to the transom so it will take both pushing and pulling stresses. Remember that a bracket will have a lot of leverage on the transom while it is on the trailer and being bounced around on the road.

Looks like you are making great progress.

Just somethings to think about.

Mark