Hamilton Jet info.

ee_lie

Recruit
Hi
I am interested in buying a boat. I have a boat in mind. The inboard engine has a running problem and does not start. I am not worried about this as I have a replacement engine at hand. But I have not had any experience with jet drives and the boat I have in mind has a Hamilton jet unit.
The guy selling the boat says the jet unit works fine, but without a running engine and putting it in the water I cannot check this !

Whilst checking over the boat I was able to turn the drive on the jet unit that couples up to the engine ( as this was not bolted to the engine coupling ). This seemed to turn freely. My brother looked up the water outlet part of the jet unit and could see and impeller this did not turn as I turned the drive. We tried to turn it by hand, although we could not really get access with are hands the outlet impeller was tight and we could not turn it. Does this sound right ?

Is there anyway of visually checking a Hamilton jet unit ? or does anybody know any helpful websites ?

The boat is cheap enough for me to spend out money fixing it up as a project, but with only outboard experience, id like to know if a jet unit is easy to work on and can you still get parts for them ?

Many thanks for your time, and I look forward to your answers
.. .. .. Nick

ee_lie

Recruit
Re: Hamilton Jet info.

Panic in the disco over !!
The Hamilton jet is a 751, the part I was looking at that was not turning was part of the casting. The impeller is behind this and turns when I turn the engine coupling. There is no play in the shaft and no score marks round the impeller tube.
sweet she's a goer !!