1989 Bayliner Capri 17' Restore Conversion from "L" Drive*UPDATED 9/30/08*

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Bayliner Capri 15' Restore, I/O Convert *pics*

yeah mark.....the guy that sold me my b-liner did a shoddy floor job and the walkthru spread....it allmost falls thru........ive gotta do the whole boat cause he just replaced the floor over the rotted one.....and i spead up the rot process.....not a job im looking forward to.....but i think i can get it done pretty quickly after i start

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guys,

What about glassing in the bow section vise leaving it plywood / carpet?

The new bayliners have that, not sure if its good or bad.

Also, I remember reading somewhere how to tell if your stringers/transom were bad, but I am not finding it. Please refresh me. The stringers are covered in fiberglass so I am not sure what the insides are looking like.

Should have pics up tonight of boat with top off,

Cheers!

--DrCox

JoeCrow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice radio.....
I'd take that out last

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice radio.....
I'd take that out last

I was actually thinking about trying to put it back in, sort of make it a collector item HAHHA,

-DrCox

maxum247

Lieutenant

How bout them pics?

JoeCrow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just out of curiosity;
Why are you going to an outboard?
Don't get me wrong, I have an 86 Bayliner 1952 with an O/B
I just replaced the old Force 125 with a Merc 125 and I toyed with the idea of switching to an I/O before I did the repower
tabs3.jpg

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Also, I remember reading somewhere how to tell if your stringers/transom were bad, but I am not finding it. Please refresh me. The stringers are covered in fiberglass so I am not sure what the insides are looking like.

Drill a hole if dry good wood your ok.Wet rotten wood well explains itsself.
Mine were fine maybe yours will be to.Drill ito a dry 2x4 to have something to compare to.

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just out of curiosity;
Why are you going to an outboard?
Don't get me wrong, I have an 86 Bayliner 1952 with an O/B
I just replaced the old Force 125 with a Merc 125 and I toyed with the idea of switching to an I/O before I did the repower

The original I/O that was in this hull was the Force "L" drive. It is not a standard vertical transom that most hulls have. It in fact has a horizontal transom where the powerhead actually sits about the "outdrive"

I believe it will take more work to actually make a new motor cage for an I/o then it will be to toss an outboard on it. Plus I am gaining a bit of space going to an outboard. Honestly when I dig deeper into it I will now for sure what I am going to do. For now it is all still speculation.

Cheers!

-DrCox

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Drill a hole if dry good wood your ok.Wet rotten wood well explains itsself.
Mine were fine maybe yours will be to.Drill ito a dry 2x4 to have something to compare to.

So Just drill a random hole? So whats the procedure for filling it back in?

--DrCox

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Serval random holes.Check in diffrent spots.I went top down.If all is ok fill with cloth and resin.Pack it in hole punch stick whatever works.

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rodger that. I still have yet to get the cap off though. Combination of work, and upcoming birthday festivities this weekend will push me a tad off schedule. Will post updates as they come. Thanks again for the advice!

-DrCox

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

...... I still have yet to get the cap off though. ....
-DrCox

Why do you want to remove the cap? Does it have to come off to get to the floor in the bow riding area?

A note about rub rail. If you do remove the cap, be sure to treat the rub rail like it is made of gold, because that is how its priced! The vinyl insert is not expensive, but you will kick yourself if you ruin the aluminum and have to spend $400 for new rub rail. And it will come in 6 or 8 ft lengths, not the one continuous piece like from the factory.

BTW, nice work on the supports. Don't forget some cross bracing! I can tell you are serious about this project!!!!

Last edited:

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why do you want to remove the cap? Does it have to come off to get to the floor in the bow riding area?

No it does not, But I wanted to getit off so I can get a good clear picture of what I have to work with in that back transom area.

after that I am going to check outremoving the floors. I just thought it would be easier to maneuver around the boat with the decking in place while I detached all the inside cap attachments.

If I am making more work for myself by all means put a halt to it hehe. I love constructive criticism.

DrCox

JoeCrow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Keep the pix coming Doc
I'd love to see the procedure for removing the cap

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1988 Bayliner Capri 17' Restore, I/O Convert *pics*

1988 Bayliner Capri 17' Restore, I/O Convert *pics*

Sorry all, Been out sick for a while. Got the cap lifted and on 2x4s ready to be removed. I have a couple of guys coming over to help me tonight. i will post pics soon.

Cheers!

-DrCox

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Keep the pix coming Doc
I'd love to see the procedure for removing the cap

Ok here is how it went :) (finally)

Excuse some of the fuzzy close up pictures, my camera not so good for close ups

1.) Drilled out all rivets (about 40) that kept the metal flashing in place around the rim of the cap. There were also some bolts so I had to get on the other side of them with a nut driver
PICT0146.jpg

2.) After CAREFULLY removing the metal trim, I went back around the boat and drilled out another 20-sum more rivets that were holding the 2 layers of fiberglass together. Keep in mind the rivets that I drilled out were also keeping the cap and hull connected.
PICT0147.jpg

3.) I Had to figure a way to punch out the rivets, I used a torque bit screwdriver. The head was just bigger than the rivets but the shaft was just the right size to punch smoothly through the hole. be carefull, the fiberglass can break if you pound it too hard, the tougher ones I had to come in from the inside and remove with a pair of Vise Grips.
PICT0148.jpg

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1988 Bayliner Capri 17' Restore, I/O Convert *pics*

4.) Now that all objects inside and out were free i could lift portions of the cap. I took to 2"x4"x8' Boards and slipped them under the bow just forward of the console and then aft just under the vent ports.
PICT0178.jpg

PICT0181.jpg

5.) I also took a piece of board and screwed it to both sides of the console to eliminate flexing and bowing after the cap was lifted. Affixed the board to the 2x4 as well.
PICT0179.jpg

6.) Next I went to the Hardware store and bought 4 - 3/4" x 4" "I" Bolts that are rated for 350lbs each. I installed them into the main rafters in my garage.

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

7.) Took 2 ratchet cargo straps and hooked them to the aft end of the boat (not the 2x4s) through the vent ports. THe fiberglass is solid and made for a good hole that would not allow the straps to slide anywhere. Raised the Aft end of the boat up about 8"
PICT0183.jpg

8.) The next few minutes were spent jockying the boat up at both ends about 6" at a time ensuring nothing was slipping or lifting un-even. Finally it was up and clear of the hull.
PICT0184.jpg

PICT0185.jpg

PICT0188.jpg

PICT0186.jpg

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1988 Bayliner Capri 17' Restore, I/O Convert *UPDATED PICS 9/25/08*

So,

My next step is to begin inspection cuts along the deck inside to search for rot.

My question is when I do finally find what there is to find and make all the cuts I need should I flip the hull and finish the outside and underhull first? My logic tells me that after removing a bunch of material from the inside (rotted foam etc) the hull will be lighter and thus easier to manipulate and roll. I know if I do all the inside labor first I will be adding a few hundred pounds back of fiberglass and wood.

Suggestions of the order in which to proceed?

Thanks all!

-DrCox

jcsercsa

Captain

let us know how that works Dr, i was thinking about that for my next job , except i got a 500 lbs elect, wench i was thinking about hooking up !! John