1988 SunRunner 235 Weekender

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1988 SunRunner 235 Weekender

Wow, the progress is amazing. I was down in California working on some kitchen remodels for the past 7 weeks. Finally got a chance to tear into the boat. when I printed off the wiring diagrams you sent me I noticed that it is for a 4-6 cylinder motor. I thought now big deal then when I followed wiring through my starter solenoid I only have 2 posts, the main and a single spot for the yellow wire. No post for the tan wire. ????? Tan wire seems to run to the slave solenoid. ????? I know you are really getting close so I will keep fighting away at this.

bgc

Ensign

Wow, the progress is amazing. I was down in California working on some kitchen remodels for the past 7 weeks. Finally got a chance to tear into the boat. when I printed off the wiring diagrams you sent me I noticed that it is for a 4-6 cylinder motor. I thought now big deal then when I followed wiring through my starter solenoid I only have 2 posts, the main and a single spot for the yellow wire. No post for the tan wire. ????? Tan wire seems to run to the slave solenoid. ????? I know you are really getting close so I will keep fighting away at this.

Tan wire is to the resistor (mine is purple). The yellow w/red stripe is the one that should kick the solenoid. Im installing a slave solenoid to reduce wear on the ignition switch.

bgc

Ensign

Im working on the wiring before the fitting is complete......WE HAVE LIGHTS AND WATER!

IMG_1300.jpg

bgc

Ensign

What are the odds that a screw dropped will fall down between the bulkhead and the fuel tank, rolling under the tank, be non-magnetic? I believe the chances to be good.......out it all comes !^%$#@^:mad:

bgc

Ensign

In the past week I have been able to;
Correct all of the wiring issues
Install a slave starting solenoid
Built a positive and negative bus for ease of wiring
Trimmed the hatches and steps in aluminum 1" angle
Crushed my phone....so no pictures of the progress.

bgc

Ensign

I installed LED lighting under the gunnels and in the engine compartment.
The lighting on the deck provided some subtle illumination for fishing or just some ambient light. The lighting in the engine compartment is for maintenance purposes.

This is showing the engine and some of the gunnel lighting, before the rear bulkhead went in.

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

This is with the rear bulkhead in.

IMG_1393.jpg

and a shot with the flash to give a better idea of what this is.
IMG_1390.jpg

bgc

Ensign

She's going up for sale.
The wife and I are not seeing eye to eye on this and I not going to keep going.

bgc

Ensign

Shes still going up for sale but I don't want to sell someone an unfinished boat. After all the work I put in, I want someone to enjoy it.

I have been having some issues with finding the impeller for the sea water pump. The first one, ordered from Volvo was too small #875811 . I found a post where another Volvo AQ231B had the same challenge, #876120 fit. Pics and information here http://forums.iboats.com/volvo-penta-i-o-inboard-gas-engines-outdrives/aq231b-impeller-593213.html

I also found a deal here on iboats for the new Mechanical Lifting Device motor. Works great now!
Next step will be refitting the interior and working on the trailer.

bgc

Ensign

Sooo..... This boat is still sitting and the wife said the other day..."Why don't you finish it and take it out next summer."

I'm working on a game plan for completing this project. First is going to be recovering the pads on the gunnels.

Any good sources for marine vinyl and padding?

jbcurt00

Staff member

free donor couches for the cushions

Trimjobber @evil-bay for the vinyl

Since it's going to be 1 of the 'fleet': ^^^ low cost, decent alternative materials..............

jbcurt00

Staff member

Sooo..... This boat is still sitting and the wife said the other day..."Why don't you finish it and take it out next summer.
Wait, what? This ^^^ is the SAME Admiral that doesn't know about the big tin that you're worried about flippin' out if you drag home a Jupiter too.

Sounds to me like she's already accepted your MBS.....................

She can reach mine at BR 549 for the support group meeting schedule :facepalm: Be adviced, adult libations ARE involved..........

:watermelon:

bgc

Ensign

Yup, same one......if I ever stop posting, you guys know shes found the collection, send help!
"Accepted", I dont know if shes to that point. She dosent think the new first mate, arriving in February, would be as challenging if we use a 24' cuddy vs the 15' runabout for our time on the water. So I'm debating on finishing the SunRunner first and then the Chieftain. I would rather finish the Chieftain first, I really like the classic look of the mature Starcrafts.

bgc

Ensign

The guys in my family have a knack for getting in trouble with the SCU's. I moved the SunRunner out of the shop and over to my sisters farm for the winter. My brother-in-law wanted to turn her around so he hooked her up and started to make a wide swing through the yard. Turns out the ground wasn't frozen deep enough…….I have never seen a boat sink on land 0_o

I went out there and lifted her up out of the mud on pallets and jack stands. I hope we get a long cold spell soon.(My sisters livid)

IMG_2709_zpsd9c077b3.jpg

Brian WV

Seaman

Glad to see this thread come back from the dead. I have a 235 weekender as well. I have yet to get my faucet to work yet. Does the sink only run when the shore power is plugged in? Glad to see you're back on the sunrunner!

bgc

Ensign

Brian,
On my boat the power for the pump comes from the "house battery" buss. The switch is on a small panel located under the sink outside the cabinet. The pump is in the bow under the V berth cushion port side of the water tank. The pressure switch for the pump was sticking on mine, took some cleaning and adjusting to get it working again.

The thread will keep going until the Admiral puts an end to it or it gets sold. Lets face it boat repair never really ends....

akyla

Seaman Apprentice

The color is beautiful.

bgc

Ensign

Success! The temps here in Ohio have been cold enough for the ground to freeze enough to move her! I forgot to take a picture….

jbcurt00

Staff member

Success! The temps here in Ohio have been cold enough for the ground to freeze enough to move her! .
Ya think?

Ok, now that it's outta the yard, would you PLEASE ask the Admiral of the house to stop hoping for the ground to freeze. I've had just about enough of the below 5F days. :blue: :cold: :smow:

Status
Not open for further replies.