1988 Sea Ray Seville Deck & Stringers

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1988 Sea Ray Seville Deck & Stringers

Yes, I'm hoping to gel coat either today or tomorrow. I need to put in the seat boxes and finish two sides of the ice chest. Then she'll be ready. I like being on the down hill side but it's funny how much little stuff there is at the end of the project that needs to be done. Hoping to splash it by next Friday!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Gel & resin prefers to be a small volume in a large container. At 1/2% I have to guess the resin was 'feeding' it's exothermic reaction w/ heat building up in a small container. I have a bunch of quart mixing containers that are graduated in ml's. It will hold 750ml of resin, but I'd probably only ever mix 350 or less in it at a time, until I become accustomed to the kick rate & spread rate of the resin. If you measured the 1/2% MEKP correctly to the volume of resin, about 2.5ml of MEKP to 500ml of resin, that'd probably be too much volume in a quart container, if it's hot outside.

The deck work looks good! Good luck getting back at it today & getting gel down today. Yikes, you're flying!!

Resin can have a reddish amber hue or a green tint depending on what resin you bought (grade & manufacturer). Either way, it looks to be about the right color to me......

jbcurt00

Staff member

BTW, there are a few threads were the guru's, who know a lot more then I ever will, mention that resin may not fully kick when there's not enough MEKP mixed into it. I didn't catch that this morning when I posted the above. WoodOnGlass mentioned it just now & I remembered reading it in more then 1 thread.... Sorry I missed it earlier....

Someone else under catalyzed the resin by 50% and were told by US Comps to mix next layup correctly & that layer should kick the under catalyzed layer.... If you are concerned, I'd talk to your resin supplier & proceed as they suggest.

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

JB

You always have great suggestions & as a newb to this stuff I appreciate it! I got some gel down today, 1 coat, then off to run kids around. I noticed a few nubs which I didn't catch prior (thought I got them all) so I'll have to do a little sanding before 2nd & 3rd coat. Like the way it's turning out. I liked the texture of the CSM under foot so I'm going to stick with that. The ice chest turned out nice too. Got it all laid up & foamed around & even have a drain age plug down into the bilge. I also got the seat boxes in. I PB inside & out then did a layer of 1708 all four sides. Those things aren't going anywhere soon!

Here is a pic I took after the seat boxes were put in & midway through 1st coat of gel.

c08d7755.jpg

0dd293e3.jpg

rickryder

Commander

Look at you go! Looking good SB! Now would be the time to knock down any inperfections with the grinder and finish up your gelcoat.
It really starts to come together at this stage....bet your grinnin ear to ear :D

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, aren't you just skittling along there. You'll be flipping the boat next and starting on your next project next!! LOL!
On the resin issue, I bought mine from US Composites. They provided a sheet with mixing instructions and the amounts of hardener to add vs the amount of resin. I have tended to mix between 1 pint and 1 quart at a time as I've been doing the damn transom. So far their advice has been spot on and I have had no mixing/kicking issues at all. I am doing all my work outside and Florida temps have been pushing 90 plus this week. Last week we were down to 47 degrees. That will affect kick off times. With the way things are moving ahead for you, you will definitely not be 'going in to extra time'.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looking good SB, the white screams ALL NEW interior! Outstanding:)

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay.....So this weekend is the beach soccer tournament in Oceanside CA. The weather is going to be great.....SUNNY and 73'. My youngest daughter has been praying that daddy finishes the boat on time. Well, God has answered her prayers.....

WHO'S GOING BOATING TOMORROW!!!! I AM!!!!:D

I have been working my tail off for the last several days trying to get this done. I want to say thank you to all those who offered great advice; Wood, JBC, Rick, trooper, FRISCO and so many more. I want to thank those who offered continued support; Brit, CC and everyone else. The project is far from over but I can tell you that I'm a happy camper (boater).

So here are the pics!!!
This was yesterday. I was able to get the starboard seat on in the evening.
IMG_0585.jpg

The ice chest with drainage and foamed.
IMG_0584.jpg

Another pic from yesterday
IMG_0586.jpg

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are more pictures from today.....

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg
IMG_0594.jpg

I'm going to post before and after pics later......

Thank again everyone......I appreciate all your help!!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Have a great splash! Those pix too please.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Congratulations on doing a really nice job and HAVE FUN at the SPLASH!:D

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congratulations on doing a really nice job and HAVE FUN at the SPLASH!:D

GT - I failed to mention you but thank you too for the words of incouragement! Looking forward to posting pics of the splash. Still a lot of work to do but at least I get to spend some time on her.

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

WoweeeZoweee, that looks awesome. To achieved so much that tail of yours must be really hurting. I wish I had as much speed.

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well yesterday was the big day and it was awesome:D. We launched after my daughters 2 games, which they won, putting them in the semi-finals today and hopefully on to the finals. The boat started with no effort and then she was on her way. We putted around the harbor and then settled in a little cove where my girls were able to jump in and enjoy a swim.

We then started heading back and witnessed a boat capsize near the jeddi. There were three people on board and they were trying to cling to their boat. One was hanging on to his ice chest. They said later that their mother was trapped underneath in an air pocket, so she was able to breath but couldn't get out. The life guards and fire showed up jumping in and saving them. They also towed the capsized boat back to the launch. The only thing wrong with the boat, well besides being water logged, was the tower got smashed on the rocks. Everyone was safe but just shows even that close to shore danger can occur.

We then went back to the dock, where I just laid across the rear of the boat, feet kicked up, without a care in the world! My wife and daughters headed off to watch more soccer. There was no way I was getting out of my boat!:D

Like I said, I owe you guys a huge THANKS! for getting me here. I remember how messed (not the word I would normally use) up I thought I was when I found that soft spot but iboats and everyone walked me through the whole process. Again, thank you to everyone!!!

This is just the beginning. I've already got my eyes set on redoing the cuddy along with some other ideas. The first thing will be to get the outside detailed. I've got remnants of resin, part A & B foam and other crud on the the rails and swim step to get off. I'm taking today and tomorrow off, mainly so my homeowners associate doesn't kill me for having the boat out front for over a week, and then Tuesday I'll jump back on that horse and start the detailing process. Then I'll need to work on the electrical and then go from there.

Here is the video of the launch and pics of half the family (boys stayed home).

I haven't launched a boat in over 5 years. - Video

Me with my soon to be olympic goal keeper Amanda, trying to start her up.
photo100.jpg

Success!!!!
photo101.jpg

Moving over to the dock to pick up Melissa and my daughter Emily - Video

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1988 Sea Ray Seville Deck & Stringers - SPLASHED

Thank you iBoats! - Video

On the dock......
IMG_0596.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Congrats. Looks like everyone likes the 'new' boat.... Sorry the other half of the family couldn't be there for the big re-splash.

Now we can start looking for the next boat project:cool:

Have a great semi-final round, hope they make the finals, then maybe another late day cruise before the trip home:)

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

A great end to your voyage of refurbishment. They all look really happy campers. Can't wait to be doing the same as you!

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now we can start looking for the next boat project:cool:

I'm already on it. The mind (Scary) was thinking of all the possibilities. First thing is to detail. That will be next week. Then with all the left over resin CSM and gel coat, I'm sure I can come up with a project :eek:

Thanks again buddy!

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

A great end to your voyage of refurbishment. They all look really happy campers. Can't wait to be doing the same as you!

You will soon. I was pushing this to get done for the beach tournament so I've been on it 8 hours a day for the last few weeks. Retired life allows me to do that. I'd be done next year if I actually had to work 5 days a week.:cool:

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

See, I'm already back with questions.

What is the best way to get the residue resin, foam and other stuff off? I bought TSP from Lowes that Wood always refers to but should I use acetone first and then give it a good wash down and then buff out with polishing wool pad? I bought the 3M supper rubbing compound.