1988 Sea Ray Seville Deck & Stringers

rickryder

Commander
Re: 1988 Sea Ray Seville Deck & Stringers - SPLASHED

Congrats on the splash! I'm really happy it all worked out for you and you and the family had a great time :D

chriscraft254

Commander

Hey man, congrats on the splash, looks like a great day with a great family. Glad she floats!:D

Now, looking at the exterior of your boat, I would try a spot with the heavy duty 3m compound, a small area. Buff it until you see the green come off on your pad at least.

Now that being said, your boat is heavily oxidized and the green is one of those colors that may benifit from wet sanding instead of compounding first. Try a small spot with some 800 grit sand paper then 1000, then 1200 and I bet it makes short work of it. You can get some sand paper at auto zone or pep boys, etc. make sure its for wet sanding. I would not get more aggresive that 600 at the most. But would start with 800.

Getting the stuff off the rails could be tricky, if it s resin, you should be able to just pick it off. The rest of the stuff glue, foam, etc I would stick with some acetone repeatedly until it comes off. You will never hurt the cured gelcoat with acetone, so soak the stuff down good and see if it works. Good luck.

tpenfield

Staff member

Congrats on getting back in the water. Looks great! :D

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey man, congrats on the splash, looks like a great day with a great family. Glad she floats!:D

Now, looking at the exterior of your boat, I would try a spot with the heavy duty 3m compound, a small area. Buff it until you see the green come off on your pad at least.

Now that being said, your boat is heavily oxidized and the green is one of those colors that may benifit from wet sanding instead of compounding first. Try a small spot with some 800 grit sand paper then 1000, then 1200 and I bet it makes short work of it. You can get some sand paper at auto zone or pep boys, etc. make sure its for wet sanding. I would not get more aggresive that 600 at the most. But would start with 800.

Getting the stuff off the rails could be tricky, if it s resin, you should be able to just pick it off. The rest of the stuff glue, foam, etc I would stick with some acetone repeatedly until it comes off. You will never hurt the cured gelcoat with acetone, so soak the stuff down good and see if it works. Good luck.

CC

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it greatly and enjoy reading your thread. I've either stolen or about to steal some of your ideas, especially with lighting. Thanks again. I'll keep you posted.

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats on getting back in the water. Looks great! :D

Thanks! It's a great feeling. I look back at the pictures of the before and the now and it's crazy! Can't believe my deck looked that bad. Will put some pics of the side-by-side of the then and the now.

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well no more in and out of the boat, its just out of the boat. This week I've been working on detailing her. She was so oxidized and look terrible. Probably hadn't had a good detail in before 9/11. I've been doing a combo of wet sanding with 600 grit and up and in between using 3Ms Super Rubbing Compound. The 600 grit took off the really thick stuff and then I'll get the fine scratches out with more fine sand paper and the rubbing compound.

I've got 99% done so today I'll finish that up and then polish followed up with a good wax with washes in-between. The only part that doesn't want to work with me is the rails. For some reason they are no coming out good at all. They still feel textured, almost like spray paint that didn't settle right???? Any suggestions as to why would be great.

Question......I've got Sea Ray emblems that need to go on. They aren't screwed or riveted in so how are they held, Silicon and do I need to put them on and dry before I begin the polish and waxing process? Also, what about the keel? Do I work on it with rubbing compound and polish followed up with wax on it also?

See I told you guys just cuz she was floating doesn't mean I wouldn't be back for more newb questions:D

Here are some pics

This is before - Heavily Oxidized

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

This is after just wet sanding and rubbing compound
IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

The stern area is still heavily oxidized and will get done today
IMG_0601.jpg

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 Sea Ray Seville Deck & Stringers

Looks great, congrats on the splash. You will enjoy this for years to come.

Sail on.....tink

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Where Do I Begin? - 1988 Sea Ray Seville Deck & Stringers

Ernie was just the ticket, he shows up & you kick it into high gear, get it done, splashed & onto prettying the joint up a bit, and this guy>>>
IMG_0402.jpg
is no longer around:D

The detailing on the port side looks good! Enjoy it now that it's serviceable again!

Trooper82

Commander

Sorry I missed your splash.

Great job on getting her done so quick!

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

JBC

That guy is no more is true! Not only no more grinding but no more fat guy! I've lost 25 lbs while doing this job. Went from a 38 to a 35.

Gotta get another boat to keep the weight off, oh wait I might have a line on another boat! A buddy's dad owns a storage facility and he's got a live aboard bayliner that he wants to get off his property for free. I'm going to look at her tomorrow but my buddy says its nice looking and that the trailer alone is worth $2,500. Worse case is another project boat. Wait did I just say that out loud:facepalm:? We'll take some pics and post. Might be a dog but it might be another Gem. Keep the fingers crossed!

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry I missed your splash.

Great job on getting her done so quick!

Thanks Trooper. You were another one that gave me great advise and encouragement. Much appreciated. I go on about how awesome iBoats is and how I couldn't have done it without you all! :D

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rub adub dub, a man and in his tub. Great job. Keep up the polishing but don't let the wife see you. She'll have you in the house next polishing.

jbcurt00

Staff member

JBC

That guy is no more is true! Not only no more grinding but no more fat guy! I've lost 25 lbs while doing this job. Went from a 38 to a 35.

Gotta get another boat to keep the weight off, oh wait I might have a line on another boat! A buddy's dad owns a storage facility and he's got a live aboard bayliner that he wants to get off his property for free. I'm going to look at her tomorrow but my buddy says its nice looking and that the trailer alone is worth $2,500. Worse case is another project boat. Wait did I just say that out loud:facepalm:? We'll take some pics and post. Might be a dog but it might be another Gem. Keep the fingers crossed!

If it's a dog, it's still a trailer for free....... And it probably has some stuff you can pull off & use or sell:) Best of luck, pix as always...

Congrats on the weight loss....

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well the guy covered in fiberglass might be back.....:facepalm: Here is a new thread on the boat that I looked at this morning. It's free and I'm thinking I could take my time with it and have fun:cool: I can't believe that I'm actually saying this....... JB, I'm blaming Ernie!

Let me know what you guys all think?????

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=548123

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

After 3 days of detailing. She is done, well at least from the top down to the V (not sure what that part of the boat is called:facepalm:) I even put a name on her. Will do the proper naming when I can get the whole family on the water.

Tonight I put on two new air vents, chrome , a new single trumpet horn in SS :D and both a new bow and stern light. The stern light worked but the bow lights didn't. Gotta track that down tomorrow. The old one didn't work either so I'm thinking a bad wire. Tomorrow, I'll put on the electronics (Sounder, compass, radio, stereo and speakers)

Here she is!

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll put this together tomorrow.

IMG_0624.jpg
IMG_0526.jpg

And because I'm a proud father:D Here is my 13 Y/O! She's 5'10" & 135 lbs of mussel. She will definitely play D1 soccer but wants to play for the US Women's National Team. - VIDEO

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Shined up like a new penny...way to go SB!

I like the name, too...

If you get a chance, friscoboater has a couple of videos on youtube, of naming and re-naming his boat...pretty neat ceremony...

PS- I just noticed you moved some of your pics/vids in Photobucket...when you do that, it breaks the links to here...you can edit your posts and add the pics back if ya want...

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

Shined up like a new penny...way to go SB!

I like the name, too...

If you get a chance, friscoboater has a couple of videos on youtube, of naming and re-naming his boat...pretty neat ceremony...

PS- I just noticed you moved some of your pics/vids in Photobucket...when you do that, it breaks the links to here...you can edit your posts and add the pics back if ya want...

I saw the video. Very cool and looking forward to doing it. I moved all the pictures back to the original file so I hope that fixed the pix. Thanks for the heads up.

chriscraft254

Commander

Looking great on the green man, great job! I see you got some lighting also. HEHE:D

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

QUESTION.......

I want to add this breaker block. I'm thinking about taking the cover plate off instrument panel and using my dremel tool to route it out. This way it's out of the way, easy to get to and I'm not cutting into the wood under the helm which would expose the wires on the Cuddy side. What do you guys think?

I'm going to use it for the sounder, radio, step lights, LED lights and anything else that I might just want to turn off and on and be protected by a breaker fuse.

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg