1988 Sea Ray Seville Deck & Stringers

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1988 Sea Ray Seville Deck & Stringers

Looks great SB! Congrats & keep up the good work!

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well no pictures and little work this weekend since my daughter had a soccer tournament which was all over Southern California. Visited 5 counties in 2 days and most of that was just spent driving. Even on the weekend these freeways stink. She's only 13, still in middle school but is already getting scouted by colleges. Crazy! She's a great goal keeper and hopes to make the U.S. Women's National Team for the 2016 Olympics. She's got the drive to do it!:D

I was able to get a little work in and changed out the fuel line, filling hose, verified that the new fuel sending unit I put in when the fuel tank was out works and replaced the gas vent thru hull and sealed it with 5200. Again, these are things 3 months ago couldn't see myself doing. I'm not they guy who turns wrenches.:facepalm: I can crack a chest, massage a heart and make sure they get to surgery but anything that isn't breathing or with a heart beat, I didn't touch!

I also finished glassing the bottom of the deck so tomorrow I'm going to put it down. I've got to run and get more 1708, resin and MEKP but then I'll be back on the job. I'm hoping tuesday to PB and fillet the sides in and then on Wednesday put back down the foam. Probably won't get to glassing until Next week since my daughter has another tournament this weekend. Not sure if I'm going to make the May 7th deadline:(

I'll post a few pictures tomorrow. Thanks again everyone for all the help. I know it is getting closer but I'm sure I'll have several more questions.

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good to hear on your progress. It is so true, that without forums such as these, folks like us would walk away from these endeavors and it is likely that many of these boats would not have the renewed life we are giving them.
Did you change out the fuel lines because they were bad or what?

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well today the boat has 3 things it hasn't had since I bought it......

A solid deck!
92bafa8a.jpg

Dry foam! - I did feel odd drilling and putting holes in a new deck:eek:
fba9e8a6.jpg

and fresh gas with a working fuel sending unit.....
No Picture :(

Trooper82

Commander

That's awesome, bet you are stoked. Looking great.

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's awesome, bet you are stoked. Looking great.

That I am my friend...... Tomorrow hoping to do the lay ups and then glassing the deck! I keep saying never again, but I'm already thinking about how I'm going to redue the cuddy. Again, thanks for all the help.

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

QUESTIONS.....

I'm going to do 2 coats of gel without wax and then the final coat with wax. This after I lay 2 layers of CSMf and then 6oz Mat. Since I won't have snap in carpet is there something I can put down to cut the slipping and sliding on the deck? I don't want to see the wife and kids fall on their behind:D I've heard of people using sand but is that too rough on the feet? I'm heading down to the boat store tomorrow to pick up a few more supplies so if anyone has a great idea then I can grab what I need then.

I've also raised the area aft of the fuel tank so I can enclose all the fuel lines. This way if something is leaking I can just cut into that area without cutting in the deck itself. I'm kicking around the idea of a hatch or should I just seal it? The lines are all brand new since they appear never to have been replaced (almost 30 years old) so they shouldn't fail. Any thoughts???

Thanks everyone!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi SB,

I'm gonna leave the answer about what to use for traction to the guys who know...

I just wanted to pop in and say what an Amazingly Awesome Job you are doing...everything looks top notch and high quality!

Great progress! Won't be long now...:D

rickryder

Commander

They sell non skid additive at the HD finer than sand....don't remember the name but it's in the paint isle. To test if it's too rough....maybe mix a small amount of gel and do a test sample on a scrap piece of wood... you could always put it down on the second coat of gel over it to make it less gritty...

Seal up the hoses....they will last another 20 years...
This is just my opinion.....others will add theirs ;)

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking good buddy. I received an ********* catalog in the mail at the weekend. They have a product called SeaDek, which is a 5mm marine grade foam sheet with a peel and stick adhesive backing. The manufacturers website is seadek.com. Looks a nice product.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nice work on the deck, at this rate you could start the cuddy now, & still be done by Memorial Day.... I'm just saying:rolleyes:

Great work!

SharkGrip maybe the additive they mentioned above, I know it's available at the HD here. It is VERY Fine, and could be too fine to leave an anti-slip profile when mixed into gelcoat. But it may be just the ticket for less aggressive, if applied to the surface of the gelcoat. It, or other grit media, may be broadcast onto the surface of the gelcoat w/ a small gravity feed sandblaster available at HF:

Central Pneumatic - item#95793

image_13512.jpg

This is the gun we use to broadcast anti-slip granules onto an epoxy-type concrete coating once it's been applied. We normally use ceramic &/or phenolic resin beads, and these anti-slip beads are only applied to the surface, not mixed into the extremely viscous, 2-part epoxy-like media. SharkGrip may also be too fine to broadcast w/ this method. We only mix SharkGrip into a 2-part water bourne coating that is only slightly more viscous then water. The SharkGrip profiles very well in that application, but again it is a very thin suspension media.

I am not familiar w/ the exact make-up of DuraBak, but it may be what your looking for. It might even replace a coat or 2 of your gelcoat. Friscoboater used it on his 1st rebuild thread I think, and decided to go the gelcoat & snap-in carpet route on his current boat. You might ask him a Q or 2... It is available in colors, w/ & w/out anti-slip.

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks all on the non-skid tips. West Marine had a layout pattern that came in 1x1 squares for $57.00. Too much for a piece of plastic. Might go with sand. Gonna do a test pattern in the next few days.

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did a test area with the SharkGrip on two areas. The first I did two coats of gel coat on top of 2 layers of CMS and 1 layer of 6 oz Mat. You could feel the sand and it worked. You could feel the sand and it did provide the non-skid that I was looking for. The other test area I did was one coat of gel coat on top of 2 layers of CSM and then 1 coat on top of the 6 oz Mat with the sand. This provided more non-skid since the Mat was raised up a little higher and you could see the tiny squares and fell the sand. I like the look of this but the wife thinks the first a nicer look since it's doesn't show the pattern. We'll see what she thinks when she falls on her butt :p. Thanks again everyone for the tips.

I also got all the sides laid up and the battery box glassed. Tomorrow I'm going to use my DA sander to get some of the drips sanded down and then............LAY THE DECK!!!!! I'm using 2 layers of 1.5 CSM and then the 6 oz Mat. Since I'm not going to gel coat until Sunday (got to get the motorhome ready for this weekends camping/soccer adventure), I'll put everything else down tomorrow.

Can't wait......Getting closer!!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Congrats on the SharkGrip test!

Good luck to the soccer champ in the family! Have a great, safe trip.

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quick question..what's the DA mean in DA Sander?

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quick question..what's the DA mean in DA Sander?
Yes. I usually use my angle grinder with a flap but since there isn't a lot of resin drips & I want the deck scuffed up I'll use my DA sander. Unfortunately, not today. We just a freak tropical style storm. Not pulling the cover off today:cool:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Dual Action, that's why if you're not paying attention & start it before it is contact w/ the surface you want to sand, you end up w/ those funny cork-screw shaped scratches..

Like a teacup ride at the fair, it is spinning in 2 different arcs on a concentric cam, is best I can describe it this am....

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

The deck is glassed. I put down the two layers of CMS yesterday and finished it up today. I ran out of resin, so I couldn't do the 6 oz but I'm hoping to run down to San Diego tomorrow to pick up another 5 gal. Seems to be cheaper buying the bucket than it does buying a couple of gallons. I also put the first layer on the seat boxes so I'll put those in tomorrow, PB them to the deck and then do a CSM lay up both inside and out to keep the seats in place.

Only had one little set back. It was hot here yesterday and even at 1/2% it was kicking off quick and at one point I didn't get good coverage of the CSM so it dried with a couple of patches of no resin. So, I waited until it fully kicked and then just grinded it back down and start over for that area.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'll be done for this weekends beach tournament but I'll definitely be done for Memorial Day Weekend.

Gere are a few pics of the deck. Does it look dark or is it just me? Since, I've never done this before, I'm not real sure. Notice the small step in the back which covers all the hoses. This turned out nice and the dog house covers it so there is no trip hazard. I like it!!

43563566.jpg

32ace2be.jpg

e58ce996.jpg

c6c00eaf.jpg

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good job there. All down hill from now on. You should be so pleased with yourself for accomplishing all this. As for the color of the resin, I am no expert (newbie like you), but the resin is a dark liquid anyway, bit like light maple syrup), so it is bound to give that hue. You're gel coating on top aren't you?