Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17'

Guts: :confused:

Glory: :):lol:

Pretty pumped... I put a new detent spring in there and it "clicks" into forward and reverse nice and smooth.... New shift/throttle cables are tracking nicely... Let's just hope I rewired that new starter right...

Let's see, what's next? Oh carp...lots...

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

You da man! The shifter/remote is intimidating the heck out of me. I know I'm gonna need to go through it but I just don't wanna.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

You da man! The shifter/remote is intimidating the heck out of me. I know I'm gonna need to go through it but I just don't wanna.

It wasn't too bad... It fits back together like a puzzle. If you have to "force" anything - you are doing something wrong. Actually, a fairly simply mechanism once you get familiar with it.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Nice job cleaning-up that controller!

I don't see a tach hooked-up ...did you tap-in @ the engine...or come-out the back of the controller? I refurbed mine recently as well...wired-out a kill switch, tach as well as accessories for voltage monitoring...pretty convenient with all of the wires right there!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Nice work Pm ! I got one just like it that needs a going through. I guess I could box it up and send it to ya seeing as you got it down pat .:D

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Nice job cleaning-up that controller!

I don't see a tach hooked-up ...did you tap-in @ the engine...or come-out the back of the controller? I refurbed mine recently as well...wired-out a kill switch, tach as well as accessories for voltage monitoring...pretty convenient with all of the wires right there!

Thanks S.P. Bluefin: If you look very closely in the pic, you will see a tag end of a gray wire sticking out... (that's the tach sender from my wiring harness). Since my boat did not come with a tach (factory), they "cut off" the gray sender wire and it was just barely visible. So, I cut back the casing and exposed the wire a little bit, then taped it back up. I will do a connection there and run the wire to the gauge.

Later,
rpm

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Thanks S.P. Bluefin: If you look very closely in the pic, you will see a tag end of a gray wire sticking out... (that's the tach sender from my wiring harness). Since my boat did not come with a tach (factory), they "cut off" the gray sender wire and it was just barely visible. So, I cut back the casing and exposed the wire a little bit, then taped it back up. I will do a connection there and run the wire to the gauge.

Later,
rpm

yep, I saw it danglin' there in the Pre-Op shot. You may as well do a kill switch while you're in there.

I was able to run the extra wires out of the plastic grommet (see post #118).

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Later,
rpm

So the Tach wire runs from the engine to the controller and then to the gauge?

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

So the Tach wire runs from the engine to the controller and then to the gauge?

Yeah, Glen, sorry for the delayed reply (been under the weather)... Yes, the tach sender is in the in the wiring harness bundle.. that runs from the "red plug" (at the engine) up to the control box... You can just run the gray sender wire from the control to the sender terminal on the gauge, add +12V from the ignition and ground it, and you have a tachometer...

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, Glen, sorry for the delayed reply (been under the weather)... Yes, the tach sender is in the in the wiring harness bundle.. that runs from the "red plug" (at the engine) up to the control box... You can just run the gray sender wire from the control to the sender terminal on the gauge, add +12V from the ignition and ground it, and you have a tachometer...

Thanks that should help me get mine wired up. I need to get it going.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Okay gang. The boat really worked me yesterday. Just bad Karma all day long... Got a ???....Here is the back-story:

I was trying to install my fuel lines and realized I have a bit of a design flaw... My front deck height is really close to the inside gunnel railing...

So, access under there is just about almost impossible. Also, there is really not enough space between the outside hull and the inside of the gunwale for the straight-line (non-90 degree) fuel vent I bought.

I think I have a work-around for both issues, but that would require venting the fuel line out of the top of the gunwale right next to the fuel filler cap... {EDIT: I have since added pics of the situation a few posts below}...

I know most all installations I have seen are out over the side or out of the back of the transom... I know the vent can "burp" every now and then when filling up and that fuel fumes are heavier than air which is why you generally want to puke this stuff over the side...

However, if I go over the side, I am not quite sure how I am going to install, plus I have to order a new part and plus I have to somehow patch the oversize hole I already gut in the top of my gunwale to accommodate my "work around" fix - absent hiring minions, smurfs or fraggles to climb up in the gunwale...

What do you guys think: Is a vent on the top of the gunwale okay if it is point out towards port side? (please don't go make me look at coast guard regs, I just need some shadetree wisdom here)..

If not, we will need to put our heads together on the install (maybe cutting an access hatch in my inside gunnel that could be hinged and locked when not in use).

Thanks

rrumba

Ensign

the reasoning for out the back or over the side would be so you don't have fumes gathering at your feet causing potential boom booms. I suggest getting the 90* vent and keep moving forward. from a long lost elf

jbcurt00

Staff member

Not my favorite version, but a combo vent/filler?
3700231.jpg

Is the gunwale paint gas proof? Even thru the hull a down facing vent has caused some paint peeling. As a vertical surface, it'd be much less prone to damage then a 'flatish' & captive between angle trim gunwale.

Or take the advice of a long lost elf ^^^ :watermelon: The filler is sitting on the gunwale, so a small 90* vent nearby isn't the worst thing, visually or for feet stepping on the gunwale boarding or landing a fish..........

I think I'd be willing to wait a couple days & fit a patch panel w/ a combo filler/vent over the work around hole you cut. Patch panel may come in handy sometime anyway, even if it's riveted down & painted to match the gunwale.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Dood, I wrestled and sweated for many, many hours cramming my hands under my gunwales trying to get all those fittings installed. So yah, I hear ya brotha, major pain!

Yup, I'd order up the 90 degree vent fitting and work on other stuff while it's in route.

(So long as I'm getting the correct picture in my head here of what you got going on there.)

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Here are some pics of the present situation:

The small space:

My hand (not gonna happen):

So, this is the work-around I was describing:

I would attached everything; drop this cover plate on the gunwale and rivet it in:

This would work, but would leave the fuel vent on top; I have a "loop" in the line, but would still be worried about rainfall collecting on the gunwale and backing into the line..

jbcurt00

Staff member

Any chance to connect the filler hole to the vent hole in the gunwale (1 larger oblong hole)? Give you access from above to connect the hose to your vent set thru the hull. Make a larger cover plate to set the filler in, paint to match the gunwale & rivet it in place as you intend to do the small vent only patch?

Even facing rearward, the vent looks like it could be a water scoop in the rain. And if it overflows the gas is 'captive' between the inner & outer aluminum angle, so it'll run along the top of the gunwale. Careful filling may prevent it though, and not transporting or storing the boat w/ a full tank....

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Could you drill out a new vent hole right where your hand is so you could actually reach it? Knowhattamean?

I know, new holes suck. I actually have two vent fittings on the SN. One on the port side that is fake and one on the starboard that's actually the legitimate vent.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Could you drill out a new vent hole right where your hand is so you could actually reach it? Knowhattamean?

Yeah, I actually thought about that yesterday while I was "not playing on the same team with all the voices in my head." My only concern was that it would be a little "low" (on the outside of the hull) and might catch some spray etc... That might be a solution, though... I think JBC probably has the other solution pegged below...

Even facing rearward, the vent looks like it could be a water scoop in the rain. And if it overflows the gas is 'captive' between the inner & outer aluminum angle, so it'll run along the top of the gunwale. Careful filling may prevent it though, and not transporting or storing the boat w/ a full tank....

This is an excellent point... I see bad things happening venting this on the top... Water back-flow, gas spills, etc... Even the possibility of that gives me puke reflex, so decision made - I will either be doing the combined vent/filler or thru-hull over the side. The question is: whether I do it this way:

Any chance to connect the filler hole to the vent hole in the gunwale (1 larger oblong hole)? Give you access from above to connect the hose to your vent set thru the hull. Make a larger cover plate to set the filler in, paint to match the gunwale & rivet it in place as you intend to do the small vent only patch?

Or the way Jas pointed out above...

Decisions: :mad:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

If you drill out a new vent hole I am thinking that you'd only need it a couple of inches lower ya know. With a 90 degree fitting the vent itself would be up into the gunwale a little with the barb and hose clamps accessible by hand there.

If any of that makes sense anyway:rolleyes:

Sometimes it's easier to talk this stuff through in person ya know.

Hey some on up so we can get this figured eh! Walleye fishing tomorrow, I'm sure we could find a spot for ya man:becky: