Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Side (or Side by Side) console

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: 1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17'

If you haven't already, find that missing piece of the impeller...the exact same thing is what originally caused my motor to overheat...

DSCF1212.jpg

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Gus... Yeah, the big piece was still in the impeller housing -- it had worked its way into the "cavity" to the right in the impeller housing... That small tear in the bottom piece is MIA..

Sort of odd that my (primary) leak appears to be within the shift rod mechanism..

64osby

Admiral

^^^^ It's probably the most common source of water intrusion. Gunk builds on the shaft it moves through the seal and bingo worn seal. How many times has that motor been shifted over the years?

Make sure the shift shaft is shinny and smooth before putting it back together.

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

Okay, that was quick, firm and unanimous... (thanks)... Makes my job easier too...

I don't think I will go "all bare" just because its going to take a lot of time and muscle power and possibly a little "glaring" in the hot southern sun..

I would like to put the boat in salt water from time to time because I love to fish for redfish and speckled trout in the brackish marshes of Louisiana and MS. Would something like salt away or shark-hide protect the bottom (bare) from oxidation, clouding, rust, corrosion, etc..?

Thanks guys!

Somehow I missed the post where you asked, and I know I'm a little late :sleeping: but I would vote for paint on the bottom, especially if you are going to salt it every now and then. You could paint it a light grey if you are worried about scrapes showing up, much easier to wash the bottom than polish it every so often. Not all bottoms are pretty enough to be bare :embarassed: that's why mine stays covered.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Hey PMC... slick idea on the pressure tester... I'm gonna steal that as my own..... :)

Although I've never been in a johnny/rude but I can't imagine that a shifting mechanism is all that tough to deal with.. heck it's either in nuetral/forward or reverse..

But again... I could be totally talking about my bumm.. :noidea:

64osby

Admiral

The other issue with occasional salt use is salt getting on / in bunk carpeting. Rinsing the hull will be easy, but making sure the bunk carpet is rinsed will be more of an issue. Not sure if your trailer will have carpet.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Hey guys:

Thanks for checking in on me and also for the good tips/thoughts and advice. So, as much fun as it is working on these boats, it sure is nice to have a reliable, trustworthy pro you can turn to for advice... I took my lower unit in to R.J.'s outboard service this a.m. (some of the best guys around)....

Given that it is early March (and they are up to their eyeballs in work) I was expecting R.J. to say "leave it with us and we'll call you in a few weeks once we've looked at it..." Instead, he said: Can you hang out a minute...

He then threw it on the vice, checked a few things and sure enough the "O Ring" on the shifter was the culprit... 10 minutes (and 49 bucks) later I was on my way with new gear oil in the box to boot...

3_5_13_lowerunitshopservice.jpg

Booooooo Yaaaah... :drum:

64osby

Admiral

...Oh what a lucky man he was......Oh what a lucky man he was....:cool:

Decker83

Commander

Glad to see it wasn't a major fix..
Did the repair guy say anything about the small peice of the impeller that is missing...
Have a great Hump day..:whoo:

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Been a couple of weeks since my last update, so here goes:

1) Got the bow deck piece ready to lay down; Went ahead and primed and painted the tip (because it would be hard to get under that nose piece once installed):

3_25_13_bowpiece.jpg

2) Installed bow deck with PL and weighted down:

3_25_13_bowpieceinstalledandweighted-1.jpg

3) To the stern deck: You can see where I stacked some floatation foam in the very aft compartments. Also, I primed everything below deck and went ahead and painted the gunwales and part of the underdeck structure (smoke grey) that would be hard to reach with gun or roller once the deck was down; you will also see the PL glue.

3_25_13_sterndeckwithPL.jpg

4) Weighted and installed

3_25_13_bowdeckinstalledandweighted.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looks great Patrick, well thought out too

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Just got all caught up man, now, decks going down, excellent!:thumb:

(It looks warm there:rolleyes:)

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Once the deck pieces were down; I started to think about consoles and the gunwales... Note from the last pic in the post above that the gunwales don't extend all the back to the transom (the removed sections were originally part of a giant, foam-filled splash well structure. I have been wrestling with how to extend those and try to shore up some of the structural strength back there. This is what I came up with:

1) Starboard side (cut and shaped); it will tie into the stern deck at the very rear for added strength. The transom and hull are firmly attached to each other. This will carry the strength from the deck-hull-transom connections up into the gunwales.

3_25_13_stargunwaleextension.jpg

I will rivet to a backer plate to attach and then jb weld the joint and sand it out smooth. then just put a a little cap piece on the top and continue down the angle molding at that joint.

2) Here is the port side (I am holding the piece in place and also pointing out the little angle piece where it will fasten to the deck.

3_25_13_portgunwaleextension-closeup.jpg

3) I didn't like the way these metal consoles carried a sharp (downward) angle towards the gunwale. So, I fitted these to the new deck height and leveled them out a smidge:

3_25_13_consolesfittedbowview.jpg

4) Here is the bow view:

3_25_13_consoelssternview.jpg

That's all for now folks..

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Really nice solution for that stern side gunwale gap deal, well done:cool:

Trooper82

Commander

Nice update! Good to see it coming together so to speak...

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Oh, I forgot - I also changed the water pump and impeller:

3_25_13_waterpumpampimpeller.jpg

That really is it, for now.

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pretty cool work there PMC.

My company fabricates carbon steel, alum and stainless so when I watch work like this it is always from a frabicators viewpoint...meaning bending, punching, using all the shop tools. But when I see the variety of solutions without those tools at hand it always makes me respect the can do attitude of so many of resto folks like yourself.

Beauty !

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Wow! Patrick...You definitely have tinny blood running thru those veins of yours...
This Sea Nymph is going to be one seriously outstanding Family Fishing Fun Machine...
Beautiful, just beautiful!:D