• Side (or Side by Side) console

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17'

Killer brutha!

Nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Bear.. Glad you swung through to check things out!

This is very impressive on how you did the decks. Looks like you have been doing it all your life. That is some great work.
Keep up the good work. Looking forward to the splash day...

Thanks Decker: Looking forward to seeing you get back on your project...

Lookin Good PMC. When you're done with her she'll look just like a Fiberglass Bass Boat!!!! :eek::lol:

Still haven't found a Tinny with my name on her! But ya never know!!!

Jump on over to the tinny side... the water is warm and the kool-aid is nice and refreshing...

Great work P! Ton's of storage....

Thanks JBC - that's the goal.

B-U-Tee-Ful!
Nice work for a convert...:)

Thus Gus! U-da-man!

Looking good there PMC....looks like your are geting closer to being done...

Thanks Troop! Made a quick list the other day and it was sort of frustrating to realize just how much is yet to be done on this boat...

Lot's of room for casting back there buddy, nice!:cheerful:

Let's hope so.... That's the plan. I don't think people realize just how fast you were moving on your Sea Nymph. You did your rear casting deck in a day.. Mine took 3 weeks. Much respect, my friend.

Lots of hard work there, but if you're are like me then it's no big deal because you love what you are doing. Looking great!

I am enjoying it - which probably means that I am demented, sick and twisted...Hey, at least I found you guys, so I am not alone!

Sweet action on the deck building there PMC. Having fun is what it is all about. I am glad you are progressing so well on this project. You will know this boat inside and out and that is very valuable!! Congrats and I look forward to your updates :)

Thanks Glen... Good motivation to have you guys watching along and pushing me... Thanks for stopping by.

Those hatches look super tight... Just a thought but did you account for the thickness of the material you will be wrapping them with if so? Paint prolly would be a big deal i guess.... Carpet/Vinyl maybe an issue... just thinking out loud.. before you seal em up.

Good point. Yes, I have given it some thought. I am not going to do carpet... Probably just a non-skid paint surface... So, I need to shave off some more room for epoxy and paint and also account for the hinges... Speaking of which, I had ordered a bunch of piano hinges off ebay... After 2 weeks of me hounding the seller, she finally emailed yesterday and said she could not find them and they must have been lost. I love it when people sell crap they don't have on ebay!!! Lovely...

At least she promptly refunded my money.

So, the hunt for hinges continues...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Just a heads up as you are looking for hinges...

The ones I used on my SN hatches look really great, and they are solid, but they were kind of a pain to fit.

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg451/jasoutside/Sea Nymph SS 165/P1090547.jpg

I think surface mount would have been way easier to install, but might not have looked as nice.

Just stuff to chew on as you are looking buddy:eagerness:

lil buggy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just stopping by, and pow!
That looks great pm!
Judging by your history, I'll suggest, glassing all that wood in, than add the gel coat with the antiskid to finish it all off with a bang!
just my $.02
great work

Decker83

Commander

Plus 1 with Jas door hinge.. What a PITA with the ebay seller..
Keep up with the search, you'll find some..:encouragement:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Just something to think about PM:

Are you going to install a deck drain? They're usually installed where I put the red circle:
nodeckdrainpaint_zps78d41a86.jpg

They're pretty handy little gadgets when you need them, like when you get caught in an unexpected rain. They keep the deck from filling with water and let the water down into the bilge so the bilge pump can pump it out.

My boat came from the factory with one:
DSC02250paint.jpg

They're also handy for when you scrub the inside of the boat down and lets all the water of the deck and into the bilge to drain out through the bilge plug hole.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Jig:

Thanks for the fly by/suggestion. I wasn't planning on it, but I'll keep that in mind. With my foam set up, I don't really have a direct channel to the bilge (top side that is).. so, it may be easier for me to lift the hatch that is under the livewell and let the water run back to the bilge that way.

Little weekend update:

So, first off - I pretty much stripped all the paint off my boat... I know this is not really standard practice or necessary... but I had my reasons... (primarily, lots of dings and scratches that I am going to fair out with marine tex under the primer).

Second: I fabbed out these last 2 angle pieces for the splashwell, which was tedious but necessary to cover some of the "ugly" structural stuff that was exposed there before... I basically cut up some old angled structure from the prior layout for these pieces... And, no, that's not my blood on the starboard side.. A tinny would never cut you like that...NEVER...:wink:

2_10_13_SplashwellAnglePIeces_.jpg

And I also started on some of the motor work... I yanked the two carbs off and, to my surprise, only caused some mild destruction in the process: (1) I broke (rather, ripped/tore) the little rubber drain tube connecting the air silencer base to the intake manifold (looks standard issue; hope I can get another one), and (2) I sort of mangled the spring that attaches to the choke solenoid plunger that you see in the pics... Couldn't figure how to get it off so it is still dangling there... Oh well, may run over to J/E forum... About to start breaking those apart for a good clean and some new guts...

Carbsremoved_2_10_13.jpg

Lastly, I spent some time shopping and got my gauges, some of the eletrical stuff and my CMC tilt and trim on order.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Productive weekend, sounds great & only cost ya a pint or so of the red vein gold :faint2:

Congrats on the pending deliveries, good stuff happening over your way, fab looks great too!

Trooper82

Commander

Looking top notch there pmc! I really like the way those angled pieces look too...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Nice progress...

Sounds like you only had some minor set backs removing the carbs...just make darn sure you are sitting, nice and comfortable, with a good table, covered with a towel [ to keep any tiny parts from rolling to the floor and disappearing forever], with all the required info, drawings, diagrams, and manuals you need, with NO distractions, when you are ready to tackle the carb rebuilds...:rolleyes:

And if you ever need some extra blood, let me know, I have some, but it is kind of thick like PB...:eyebrows:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Your splashwell pieces turned out super bro:clap2:

Blood letting is cool:rockon:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You're more daring than I. I won't touch carbs.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looking good! Have fun with the carbs, the most frustrating contraption know to man!

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys; I took one of the carbs apart last night... So far (fingers crossed) these old 2 stroke carbs don't appear that intricate. Also, I am not taking out the jets or doing any intricate adjustments. I am basically just doing a "carb kit" job, which isn't rocket science... Basically, just changing the gaskets, the float needle, the float assembly and the frost plugs...

rrumba

Ensign

PMC, nice progress there buddy. wish i could say that.... although i have made some but nothing i am posting just yet.

Carbs on those OBs are as easy as ones on say, a go kart, not much to those. You get more complicated with the larger ones on I/Os, cars, motorcycles and such. You can do these with no issues, i mean, you did pass the bar and that would be more nerve racking and intricate than a carb and then you have the us grease monkeys on here who are always willing to help you out should you get stuck.

she is coming along nicely bra

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

2 Stroke Carbs are a Breeze. Do you have diagrams? If not MarineEngine.com should have em

mark1961

Ensign

Also, I am not taking out the jets or doing any intricate adjustments. I am basically just doing a "carb kit" job, which isn't rocket science... Basically, just changing the gaskets, the float needle, the float assembly and the frost plugs...

Changing the needles and float assemblies may make it necessary to adjust the float levels.....consult your manual or the instructions that came with the kits.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

2 Stroke Carbs are a Breeze. Do you have diagrams? If not MarineEngine.com should have em

I agree... just make sure the float bowl is set correctly as it's about the only crucial setting and if you remove the jets you don't have to hercules them in... if you do... good luck removing them down the road has been my experience, I've learned the $$$$ way..

The old Mercs have an inverted measurement as well and a right side up measurement not sure what engine you have. Overall easy stuff mang!

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

-Little update... I've been working on the boat, but the progress has been scattered in lots of different directions, so it doesn't look like much.

1. As mentioned, stripping away some of the old crappy paint... She's almost ready to get fitted for her new dress, but not quite (lot of sanding!).

2_24_13_Hullstripped.jpg

2. Got the little nose piece installed on my bow casting deck...I used some 6 oz fiberglass cloth on the joint on the underside it and worked well. I like the texture... I have a bunch of it, so I think I am going to use it as my deck covering - its got a non-skid (but soft) texture to it.

2_24_13_Nosepieceinstalled.jpg

3. Installed some hinges.

2_24_13_fronthatchesinstalled.jpg

4. These piano style hinges are nice and flush - like 'em (you can also see the relief cuts I made for the fuel tank lines and filler)..

2_24_13_hingesflush.jpg

5. Installed a couple of transom eyes (Jas' would have been proud of my healthy smathering of 5200)... this is nice and snug... You can see that I have been doing a bunch of sanding and fairing back there... Just about have it ready for paint.

2_24_13_transomeyeinstalled.jpg

See update No. 2 below.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Update No. 2:

1. Took apart my remote and cleaned it.. Also, etched and primed..

2_24_13_remoteapartandcleaned.jpg

2. Installed a brand new starter switch:

2_24_13_newstarterinstalled.jpg

3. Squeaky clean carbs with new gaskets, etc... And a Starcraft switchplate that is about to get re-branded/re-purposed for my boat:

2_24_13_cleancarbsandswitchplate.jpg

That is all... Hope everyone had a nice weekend... Look forward to catching up on everyone else's progress..