1988 Rogue 2420

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Why I hate EFI and hyper-complex fuel systems

the carbon canister decided to rupture and plug the fuel well up. with a full tank, I resorted to using a primer bulb to siphon/pump a whole tank of fuel

those are carbon pellets

1101201039_resized.jpg
1101201039a_resized.jpg1101201040_resized.jpg1101201051_resized.jpg1101201102_resized.jpg1101201322_resized.jpg1101201322a_resized.jpg

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Back to the carb......

after a bath of engine cleaner, then a hot water/simple green/dawn dish soap bath, followed by a vinegar and water bath...... the parts are ready for paint.

prior to masking

1101201522_resized.jpg1101201522a_resized.jpg1101201522b_resized.jpg

after masking1101201550_resized.jpg1101201552_resized.jpg1101201603_resized.jpg1101201631_resized.jpg

and now in the oven to bake for an hour1101201815_resized.jpg

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Here are the parts laid out
1102201925_resized.jpg1102201952_resized.jpg
here is the tool I made to drive in the 5/16" J-tubes
1102201945_resized.jpg
note, I sheared off the formed flange......phuck the new Holley J-tubes are thinner than the J-tubes of old. ordering another set of J-tubes.....
1102202053_resized.jpg
here is the carb partially assembled.

1102202054_resized.jpg

Scott Danforth

Staff member
USPS deliveries postponed until Friday/Monday from Wednesday/Thursday. My guess is the requirement issued by a judge to look for ballots......

Scott Danforth

Staff member
cant get the new carb to idle or respond to the 4-corner idle mixture screws, yanking it off again to verify the transfer slots on the secondaries

Scott Danforth

Staff member
traced the idle issue down to either the IFR jets or the LSAB jets.

awaiting some feedback from folks smarter than me.

on another note, was just pulling the boat into the drive way and up on blocks to allow me to lower the outdrive.

guy coming down the road with his boat in tow all of a sudden looses his wheel bearings and the tire and hub come rolling down the road at 30mph....

and smacks into my new set of B8 volvo penta props bending one blade.

guy offered to pay for the prop repair, and to top it off, his family was still in the truck. I helped him get the remainder of the wheel bearings off his stub while his brother drove all over town looking for a hub on a 5000# axle.

made a wooden skid to put under the axle so we could pull his boat from the middle of the road off to the side.

nice younger kid, didnt know first thing about trailer maintenance. bearings looked like they havent been serviced in decades.

boat was his fathers, that him and his brother now own. by the looks at the rust pitting on the axle stub, at a minimum a speedi sleeve, probably a new axle.

also, pointed out that all his plastic thru-hulls are cracking and ready to fail. he thanked me for all my help.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
update...... last weekend we launched to spend a quick half-day on the water. unfortunately with the lunar cycle, it was low tide..... about 6" below charted depth. the preferred boat ramp is near the house, however is up in skinny water territory.

in the pic below, the boat ramp is where the star is. the river there is 12+ feet deep, so once you get out of the no wake zone, you can open it up to the 25mph limit
Ft-Hamer-boat-ramp.jpg
the issue is that about half a mile down stream, the channel does a hard zig-zag (where the white and yellow arrows are) normally that area is about 3.5 feet deep. however the channel moved a bit recently, and we found ourselves in 1.5 feet of water along with other boats (yellow arrow)....... polished the props good, however more importantly as we got back up to speed, noticed zero water pressure and the temp gauge just starting to move.

instead of risking any damage, tossed anchor and called for a tow. watched a few other boats (both I/O and outboard) spit a shower of muck as they went thru the pass. at the end of the hour, there were 4 of us sitting anchored by the time Captain John showed up. He managed to get stuck on the way to us as well as pick up a crab trap in the props...
1206201502_resized.jpg

I thought I completely fried the impeller on the new pump. turns out I just shoved about 10# of muck up the raw water plumbing. I did notice a bit of water and debris in the bilge, I may have taken out a seal on the pump. will need to keep an eye on it.
1212201234_resized.jpg
1212201254_resized.jpg

spent a few hours yesterday getting muck out of the plumbing between the raw water pump and outdrive pickup. spent an hour today getting muck out after the HX. after everything was back together, ran the motor on the hose for 20 minutes prior to the water coming out clear.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Went to put the boat in yesterday (easter)....
Truck tire had a screw in it, went to plug and the plug tool broke off.

After spending an hour, hooked up the trailer. Drive was down. Thought that was strange.

One trailer tire was flat. Bad valve stem

Spent 3 hours washing the voat inside and out.

Noticed the port trim cylinder on the drive leaking oil

Something saying dont go boating.

Did score a B7 set of props on fleabay today

tpenfield

Staff member
. . . and the hits just keep on coming :rolleyes:

Hoping things go better next time. :D

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I should have rebuilt the cylinders, however they were not leaking or showing any issues.

easy fix though, pull drive, pull glands, swap seals, install piston and gland, re-install drive

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Time to update this thread. Been a while since the boat has been out. New job has me putting in 50-60 hours a week, still helping the old job with a NAVY project

back in mid april, the daily driver ate itself.

new Cloyes timing kit installed in October failed

0605211459_resized_1.jpg

0605211448a_resized_1.jpg

0605211401a_resized_1.jpg

So, after looking for a good used low mileage engine, I picked up a brand new LNF from ATK in July, and swapped. They did a GM buy out of the LNF's used in the buicks and other GM vehicles. so new engine and a pile of other new parts (clutch, driveshaft coupling, motor mounts, etc.) for about $3200

have about 2700 miles on the new mill

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Managed to finally rebuild the trim cylinders. had to modify a tool

0703211405_resized.jpg

that took longer than the actual job in the rain

0703211405a_resized.jpg

0703211405b_resized.jpg

0703211524_resized.jpg

0703211608_resized.jpg

that was July 3rd

The Admiral has been down since July 4th with a nasty infected bursae of her elbow.

was on oral antibiotics, however that did nothing.

we are now dealing with the infection with IV antibiotics and me playing nurse

last weekend, dug the boat out to change oil (its been a year since the splash) and only 20 hours on the clock, all which was put on before March

got stung a few times. hornets, mud daubers, and wasps decided to build a huge nest in the bimini top. opened that sucker up and it fell on me

spent a day erraticating those flying arseholes .

Scott Danforth

Staff member
that brings us to this weekend.

Tam is feeling better and wants to go boating. so, time to wrap up some of the chores.....

Just finished the oil and filter change.

if I had to re-do the engine compartment, i would have moved the oil filters. right now they are in a tub sitting in front of the engine, just aft of the fuel tank

1231191137_resized.jpg

the good news, if i ever have a leak, its contained

the bad news, contorting myself to get the filters off is a pain in the butt. and no, cant slide the tub out, its anchored down and the engine is in the way

the extra 20# gained over the last year isnt helping either. to quote @mickyryan .....im famine proof

so now to finish cleaning the dead wasps out of the cabin, wipe down the vinyl with 303 and get ready for time on the water tomorrow

Scott Danforth

Staff member

alldodge

Staff member
I use a strap wrench. issue is my arm doesnt bend in a Z

I have to go down, back, and down to get to the filter.

however if I have the right foot in the bilge, left leg on the deck, and wedge my torso between the HX and the bilge coming, I can reach them with my left hand

ok, then its the design engineers fault

Status
Not open for further replies.