1988 Rogue 2420

Scott Danforth

Grumpy old guy who plays with boats
just playing with the media button on the new iBoats Xenforo.

apparently cant link..... FiretrUCK

however I an upload again.
signature-image.png

Scott Danforth

this is what you get when you use used heads previously run in salt water and you try to add a screen to keep the HX from fouling.

this is from one 4 hour run.

the heads were chemically cleaned with oxalic acid, mechanically cleaned with a section of steel cable and a drill motor and then baked at the machine shop.

it not worth the savings to go used if you want to run a heat exchanger.

draining coolant to pull the T-stat water outlet and the upper hose to the HX to clean it out is a PITA on the water.

Attachments

• 1010201732_resized.jpg
    1010201732_resized.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 2

tpenfield

Supreme Mariner
Wow - :oops:
I did not realize the engine had been in the salt . . . What would be a longer term solution . . . 🤔

Scott Danforth

Wow - :oops:
I did not realize the engine had been in the salt . . . What would be a longer term solution . . . 🤔
it was the merlin heads I bought used when I built the motor. they were on a poker run boat for one to two seasons.

I was trying to keep the budget low....

the block came from a 1998 3500 tire delivery truck that had over 300,000 miles. I knew the heads were used in salt, even with the best efforts of myself and the machine shop, we suspected that there was still rust in the water passages. hence the reason I put a stainless screen between the T-stat and the HX.

the screen has been doing its job to keep the debris from the HX...... to the point it has plugged nearly every time out.

using this as a point for those that want to put a HX on a motor that was previously used in salt water........ not worth the hassle. if you want to put on a HX, start with a fresh water block or heads or used heads from the automotive world, or with new block and heads.

spending an extra $500-$600 at the time would have net me new heads and saved the head aches of dealing with the scale.

I plan on running a corrosion flush thru the motor to try to loosen up some more of the crud as I am getting tired of pulling the water neck to clear the debris.