1988 Bayliner Capri with a 2.3L OMC Ford cobra

Tkilkenny

Seaman
Hello,

I’m new to the voting world. Just picked up a 1988 Bayliner that bough from my boss. He was the original owner took really good care of it. It has sat for several years. He did properly winterize it. Besides the following what else should i be looking at/replacing to get it running again?
List of to do:
Drop and replace stern drive oil
Pump out engine oil and replace
Oil filter
Fuel filter
Replace spark plugs
Replace battery
Clean/Rebuild carb
Pump any only gas out of tank

Attachments

• IMG_0344.jpeg
    IMG_0344.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0352.jpeg
    IMG_0352.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0337.jpeg
    IMG_0337.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 16

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Make sure you also change the water pump impeller when doing lower unit oil change.
Make sure you know how to change the gear lube on the OMC, as it is a different technique than some outboards...there are 3 plugs, not 2... and you fill from the middle one....a little research on doing it properly can save you from destroying the gears in the lower unit.

Tkilkenny

Seaman
Ok thank you, where could I get a replacement water pump impeller? I have the original owners manual and also purchased the big one

Attachments

• IMG_7813.jpeg
    IMG_7813.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 71150363508__53CDD9F9-1703-4C2F-BFDF-598E2BCEFB22.jpeg
    71150363508__53CDD9F9-1703-4C2F-BFDF-598E2BCEFB22.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
I would need the model number of the motor to say with 100% certainty, but if you in fact have a 1988 2.3 motor, then yes. the 984461 part number would be the correct OMC part number for the water pump kit for that drive.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I've had a Cobra for approx 20 years, they are good when set up right and maintained properly. I would use OEM parts for impellers, shift cables and driveshaft bellows.
Check on this site to see if they sell OEM parts for OMC
if not, there are a few other sites that sell OEM parts.
OMC impellers are good for approx 3 seasons depending on use
OMC Cobra bellows last a long time if the boat is stored with the drive down, like 10 years in my experience
to your list of jobs I'd add:
pulling the drive checking for signs of rust inside the driveshaft bellows, check the bellows for cracks, if you see any in the folds it should be replaced
check and lube the gimble bearing and u joints,
lube the shifter bellcrank where it moves back and forth inside the pivot housing, this must move freely for the drive to shift properly
use a new gasket coated on both sides with OMC gasket sealer or Permatex Aviation when installing the drive
ideally check engine alignment before installing the drive with an alignment tool

return that manual and get an original OMC one, the are available and much better

When you get it started up on the water hose set idle at approx 600 rpm, you may have to readjust in the water, make sure the ESA works as well.

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I hope you're a fresh water boater as the exhaust manifolds and risers are NLA. I searched all over for a long time and finally found a Chinese reproduction manifold for $600.

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes fresh water, where can I get OMC book? Is the drive a pain to pull?
Not sure on the service manual, the drive isn't hard to pull. Use a threaded eye bolt where the top gear lube plug is and an engine hoist. You will need the alignment tool and bearing puller if you are going to change the gimbal bearing. There is a zerk fitting on the starboard side of the lower unit that will pump grease to the gimbal bearing. That is if whoever put a new gimble bearing last aligned it correctly.

Tkilkenny

Seaman
Not sure on the service manual, the drive isn't hard to pull. Use a threaded eye bolt where the top gear lube plug is and an engine hoist. You will need the alignment tool and bearing puller if you are going to change the gimbal bearing. There is a zerk fitting on the starboard side of the lower unit that will pump grease to the gimbal bearing. That is if whoever put a new gimble bearing last aligned it correctly.
What kind of grease do you recommend

Tkilkenny

Seaman
Manual says 5 quarts of oil with filter for engine. 60 oz for the stern drive, I’ve seen people putting over 2 quarts in and being below the dip stick line. Does 60 oz sound right?

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Master Chief Petty Officer
Where is a good OEM parts site? I want to replace hoses and pulley belt
Welcome aboard!

The hoses are NLA. The belt you can take to an autoparts store and they can measure it if no numbers are visible.
I have the exact same boat.
I am planning on making my own hoses because they are NLA, the only hoses I have seen are used. There may be a date code stamped on them to give you an idea on their age, mine are currently from 2004.

Last edited:

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Master Chief Petty Officer
Manual says 5 quarts of oil with filter for engine. 60 oz for the stern drive, I’ve seen people putting over 2 quarts in and being below the dip stick line. Does 60 oz sound right?
5 quarts +or- is good for the engine but I believe 2 quarts for the sterndrive.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Welcome aboard!

The hoses are NLA. The belt you can take to an autoparts store and they can measure it if no numbers are visible.
I have the exact same boat.
I am planning on making my own hoses because they are NLA, the only hoses I have seen are used. There may be a date code stamped on them to give you an idea on their age, mine are currently from 2004.
Sometimes NLA hoses can be found on EBay or NLAMarine.com I’ve gotten many NLA Cobra spares from them.
The hoses don’t really wear out because raw water cooling runs at lower water temps & low pressure compared to a closed system. As long as they are not hard & stiff they’re OK.