1987 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II - First Time Rebuild - Floor, Engine, Dash, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACon977

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yea.. I guess if you learn in the end, then its ok, but wish I had thought about it a little earlier.

ACon977

Well I got my new drill delivered and holy torque! haha this thing is geared so low, its great. Powered right through my last hole on the starboard side, but then the wood got stuck in the bit and my centering bit fell out, so all around still kind of a failure, need to do 2 more holes but ran out of time. plus I need to see if I can put a random bit in the middle of the hole saw to keep it centered.

But overall, happy with the new drill. And I filed the teeth on the hole bit like Mad Props suggested, and that was a huge improvement. Thanks!

20181216_141142-907x1612.jpg

Attachments

• 20181216_161205-1612x907.jpg
    20181216_161205-1612x907.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20181216_161320-1612x907.jpg
    20181216_161320-1612x907.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20181216_120848-1612x907.jpg
    20181216_120848-1612x907.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 0

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Those hole saws you have look like the inexpensive Home Deblow disposable type. I would expect like 4 good holes then the smoke. The new drill will push it thru. You want to run on slow for cutting the holes not high.
I like those cutters cause the glass will kill the expensive drill hole blades.
When those lead drill bits break or crack off I just load up with whatever bit I have lying around that fits and continue.

ACon977

Those hole saws you have look like the inexpensive Home Deblow disposable type. I would expect like 4 good holes then the smoke. The new drill will push it thru. You want to run on slow for cutting the holes not high.
I like those cutters cause the glass will kill the expensive drill hole blades.
When those lead drill bits break or crack off I just load up with whatever bit I have lying around that fits and continue.

Oh dont you worry, I wasnt about to invest after seeing what it did to my oscillating blades. these are real Harbor Freight disposable.

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
Tip.....
start hole to leave a circle mark

switch out bit to regular bit slightly larger than width of circle Mark

drill 6 to 8 holes and then switch back to hole saw

what this does is give the hole saw a place to eject cuttings as it penetrates and they don't bind in the side of the bit and get the bit hot.

ACon977

Tip.....
start hole to leave a circle mark

switch out bit to regular bit slightly larger than width of circle Mark

drill 6 to 8 holes and then switch back to hole saw

what this does is give the hole saw a place to eject cuttings as it penetrates and they don't bind in the side of the bit and get the bit hot.

Hmm i like this idea, I think that was half the issue, the chips had nowhere to go. The hole saw I have is part of a set so changing to a slightly larger/smaller would be no big deal.

thanks for the tip!

froggy1150

Let's say 2" hole.... start your 2" hole around 1/32 deep. A hole saw cutting width is about 1/8 so grab a 3/16 bit and drill several holes in the mark you made with the hole saw. Imagine it was a clock. Drill every hour. That gives you 12 small holes. Switch back to hole saw and drill.

ACon977

Let's say 2" hole.... start your 2" hole around 1/32 deep. A hole saw cutting width is about 1/8 so grab a 3/16 bit and drill several holes in the mark you made with the hole saw. Imagine it was a clock. Drill every hour. That gives you 12 small holes. Switch back to hole saw and drill.

Oh! I misinterpreted you. I thought you were saying of using a larger hole saw. We are on the same page now.

Thats a pretty slick idea. Thanks!

froggy1150

Another slick idea........
when drilling stainless get REAL lemons and squeeze the juice as drilling lubricant. Works well

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I also don't know why everyone tries to use a hole saw (i'm guilty as thats what I did too) but no one seems to use a jig saw which would totally work.

just need to mark which plug goes in which spot.

ACon977

hmm Mad Props you may be onto something there. Honestly I used a hole saw because I saw others doing it. It seemed like the faster and easier way, plus it captures the plug, whereas a jigsaw would likely fall into the hole.

idk, I still have 2 holes to do and this is clearly becoming more of an issue than I expected.

chevymaher

Commander
I got my hole saw at ace. It didnt get dull. And I made the holes before I installed the deck.

ACon977

I got my hole saw at ace. It didnt get dull. And I made the holes before I installed the deck.

I do wonder if my issues is that I soaked the ply with resin, and put CSM on the bottom, then CSM + 10oz Mat on the top

chevymaher

Commander
I do wonder if my issues is that I soaked the ply with resin, and put CSM on the bottom, then CSM + 10oz Mat on the top

I think that is exactly what was killing them. I had one side done with csm. made the holes from the wood side. Then installed the deck foamed and all the other glassing.

ACon977

I think that is exactly what was killing them. I had one side done with csm. made the holes from the wood side. Then installed the deck foamed and all the other glassing.

I saw someone else who did it in this order and they seemed to be having no issues... Whoops! not exactly something I can go back and change now. but that will certainly be in my word to the wise notes for other people who want to do this.

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
I'm hoping I remember this when I finally get to the point of re-pouring foam! I'm taking notes. :D
Thanks all for sharing your experiences!

ACon977

Well everyone, just wanted to wish everyone a happy new year and hope that everyone's holidays went well. We road trippped back to the Midwest and got a 17 day vacation to see both of our families. Its been a good couple weeks, but Im excited to get back to reality.

Also, the admiral's family has been thinking of us and got us a new trailer jack for the boat! Ours is busted to hell so what a perfect present lol. I will admit, that I was pretty excited about it.

20181223_150933.jpg

ACon977

And just keeping you guys updated, I bought a different hole saw, one with a deeper cup, and drilled out the remaining holes in the floor last night. Weather is looking good this week and after just getting back from break, our life is schedule free for now. Hopefully will get the foam poured in the next few days, figure out the fuel tank mounts, then can drop the cap on and start building seat bases.

Also got all the wiring done on the trailer and wood to start building the benches. Need to do insulation for that before I put the walls on. Pray for me, I would rather get back to grinding the hull then work with fiberglass insulation, but i dont have much of a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.