1987 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II - First Time Rebuild - Floor, Engine, Dash, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACon977

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Looking good. I remembered the wood under my gunnels were 1 pc front to back made of the checkered squares. I've been tossing around how to place mine back. I think a solid cut of ply. like you upside down work. I can't install until my transome
cap I cut off is inplace and squared up. The tie in will keep it solid.

Hmm yea Im glad to see that mine is sideways rather than upside down. but complicated none the less. Glad that I have the people on here to come up with good ideas for me to try out!

ACon977

So? Did you go skiing? the snow variety? Report please. I'm seeing that Colorado is having a pretty good early snow year. I'm still lobbying to get to Denver on a client project. If I do, hopefully we can at least grab a beer. If I can swing a day, I'll bring my skis. Stay tuned. :)

Well you caught me, we ended up in the mountains snow skiing rather than working on the boat since it was a bit chilly and snowing. We did a few back country laps with the dogs, trying to gage Izzy's (the new pup) abilities. She did great, but I did end up carrying her for a lot of the uphill.

Snow is VERY light, all fluffy dry stuff as of now, not much base in the back country. But enough to have a great time. I think this season is going to be great. We still havent hit the resorts yet, but from reports they have more runs open than typical and base is ~30in, which is pretty good for this time of the year.

If you can push to get a client project out here I would love to grab a beer and ski some laps with you! We bought the Ikon pass (Copper, Winter Park, Eldora) and also the Keystone & Abasin pass. Plus we have our back country gear.

Attachments

• photo304325.jpg
    photo304325.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo304326.jpg
    photo304326.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo304327.jpg
    photo304327.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo304328.jpg
    photo304328.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo304329.jpg
    photo304329.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 0

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sounds good. I'll keep you updated. My good friend lives in Woodland Park, and so he always hosts me. I think he has a pass for A-Basin too. I've skied most places, but I've never been to Eldora. I also have AT setup, so we could go BC.

ACon977

Sounds good. I'll keep you updated. My good friend lives in Woodland Park, and so he always hosts me. I think he has a pass for A-Basin too. I've skied most places, but I've never been to Eldora. I also have AT setup, so we could go BC.

Sounds great. Let me know!

ACon977

Hey all! Sorry I havent updated in a while, I promise you I'm not dead, or giving up yet! Its just been cold out here in the Mile High City and I didnt want to glass at 30F.

Before our cold snap I did get the wood blocks cut, edges rounded, and PB to the cap with clamps to hold it in place. I just used my finger to round out the fillets on the sides and didnt put any resin or glass over the top. Once these cured I removed the clamps and cleaned up the extra hairs and resin to have a smoothish surface. This was all probably 2 weeks ago? maybe more :facepalm: :sleeping:

Yesterday we hit 60 during the day so I decided to lay up the Tower Mounts last night. Thanks to everyone's advice, it went WAY smoother than I thought it would have.

What I decided to do was mix up some resin, add some milled fiber (cabosil, resothix, whatever you call it) just to have it get a little more jelly like. It also helped that the resin was a little cold. Then I used a chip brush to brush out the wood and hull that I had cleaned and prepped. I put on just enough that it was covered, but not so much that it started running.

I had precut my glass and so wetted out the back with the thickened resin and then pressed it onto the cap and wood. I just used my hands to get it snugged up and then rolled the resin through the glass from the underside, no resin on top. After I did all 4 mounts I went back and looked for any dry glass, and then used the chip brush to gently wet out.

Overall, not too difficult, not too exciting, but progress is progress, and I was a little nervous about how the upside down glassing would go. Thanks to you guys for your input! :hail:

Nest up is the foam under the floor, install the gas tank, then drop the cap, cut and glass the seat bases and paint the floor. Much slower now that winter is here and its dark and cold by the time I get home from work, but I still plan on chugging along as best we can! :tea: :boink:

oldrem

Commander
Glad to hear you have some decent temps. We're just happy to have the next few days slightly above freezing.

ACon977

Glad to hear you have some decent temps. We're just happy to have the next few days slightly above freezing.

It typically stays around 30-40F all winter, but we occasionally will get a 60F, and sometimes get a 0F. all depends on what way the wind is blowing up the mountains. I dont mind working in the cold on some things, but glassing isnt doable at 30F.

My heater is AWESOME, but my garage is too big to heat the whole thing, I burned through a propane tank in 4 work sessions. I will probably build a tent over the boat in order to contain the heat a bit more.

ACon977

We also decided to embark on another project which the admiral said "we can knock out real quick"... yea with time, anything is possible lol

But the goal is to turn this little 5x8' hunk of junk into a camper trailer. I drew up the wood working plans, and then the dog ate it.. actually though, damn puppy doesnt chew any of our shoes, but went for my plans that were sitting out on the coffee table. :confused: what can ya do.

But I will probably be bouncing back and forth between projects. nice to stay busy.

20180805_150425.jpg

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
I like the idea of the camper! That's cool. Drop down bunks on hinges? We built some stuff like that in a 6x12 that my buddy and I used to go dirt bike racing in. But camping in the Southeast in the summer requires AC. Or you're not sleeping.

I may be coming to Denver on a quick biz trip...just don't have details yet, but it'll be in the Mon - Wed 12/10 time frame. Hopefully we can at least grab a beer. I'd love to see your boat project in person. I'll let you know. Glad this thread isn't dead...yet. :)

ACon977

I like the idea of the camper! That's cool. Drop down bunks on hinges? We built some stuff like that in a 6x12 that my buddy and I used to go dirt bike racing in. But camping in the Southeast in the summer requires AC. Or you're not sleeping.

I was thinking of doing bench seating with the table dropping down to make the flat surface for the bed. storage under the seats, and then insulated, as it will probably be a winter camper, in the summer we will grab tents just as easy, or sleep in the car.

I may be coming to Denver on a quick biz trip...just don't have details yet, but it'll be in the Mon - Wed 12/10 time frame. Hopefully we can at least grab a beer. I'd love to see your boat project in person. I'll let you know. Glad this thread isn't dead...yet. :)

Sounds good to me! We will just be getting back from our Banff ski trip that Sunday so should have good stories to tell.

Glad this thread isn't dead...yet. :)

oh not yet! Ill let it peter off once this old girl is splashed and we have posted a few ski pictures.

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Austin,

How was your Canada Trip? Sorry we didn't get hooked up in Denver. I was only in town for a few hours. I did get out to my friend's house in Woodland Park and we made it to Breck and back on Sunday. Great conditions 3 inches overnight + snow through about lunch time. Really good conditions for early season. Made it over to peak 6 in the morning where fresh tracks could still be found.

Imperial was open after lunch so we did a lap up there plus another off of the T-bar.

Denver - I drove into down town at about 9:00am Monday. Had a client meeting at 9:30, took him to lunch and then left for the airport by 2:30. Had I stayed over Mon night, maybe we could've grabbed a beer. I'll have to go back to follow up in Jan some time though, so maybe then.

Thankfully, I went home as I was couch ridden all day Tuesday with a stomach bug or food poisoning. The legs held out for 17.9K vert, but I was pretty much toast going down 4 O clock to the Gondola lot.

Attachments

• photo305558.jpg
    photo305558.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 0

ACon977

Hi Austin,

How was your Canada Trip? Sorry we didn't get hooked up in Denver. I was only in town for a few hours. I did get out to my friend's house in Woodland Park and we made it to Breck and back on Sunday. Great conditions 3 inches overnight + snow through about lunch time. Really good conditions for early season. Made it over to peak 6 in the morning where fresh tracks could still be found.

Imperial was open after lunch so we did a lap up there plus another off of the T-bar.

Denver - I drove into down town at about 9:00am Monday. Had a client meeting at 9:30, took him to lunch and then left for the airport by 2:30. Had I stayed over Mon night, maybe we could've grabbed a beer. I'll have to go back to follow up in Jan some time though, so maybe then.

Thankfully, I went home as I was couch ridden all day Tuesday with a stomach bug or food poisoning. The legs held out for 17.9K vert, but I was pretty much toast going down 4 O clock to the Gondola lot.

Thanks Tim,

Our trip to Canada was unreal! Such awesome views. Definitely bucket list for anyone who has thought about going, and the Calgary airport is very easy to get in and out of. Conditions were still early season and they hadnt gotten snow in 2 weeks but it was still great terrain regardless. And we did a fun Onsie day which is always amusing.

No worries about missing through Denver, if you make it out again this winter it would be great to grab a beer.

Sounds like a good day for you! Peak 6 and Peak 10 are my favorites at Breck, but it takes you half a day to get between them (my biggest gripe about Breck). 17.9k is a great days vertical for a quick trip. We typically average out around 20k if we do a full day, but anything above 15k is a lot of laps.

20181207_101257.jpg . IMG_1745.jpg

20181208_113948.jpg

ACon977

And then back to the actual meaning of this thread. I ended up drilling some holes in the deck but was having a heck of a time getting it done. I bought a wood bit but it was getting jammed and the friction was burning the wood. Then after 3.5 holes my drill started smoking. Hopefully it isnt ruined.

Any special advice about how to better drill out holes? I feel like it shouldnt be that hard. Although I did presoak the wood in resin, then CSM on both sides, and cloth on top.

20181212_193536-1780x3661.jpg . 20181212_193550-1780x3661.jpg . 20181212_193545-1780x3661.jpg . 20181212_193559-1780x3661.jpg

oldrem

Commander
A new hole saw shouldn't be burning like that - think you got a dull one. Too many RPMs can cause a problem too.

ACon977

I tried to keep the RPM low but then it would jam. I thought it was a pretty high powered Ryobi, but maybe it isnt as powerful as I thought.

I have another hole bit that I plan on trying to use today/this weekend if I have time.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Fiberglass is super abrasive on steel drills and will dull it quick... I had the same problem when I drilled holes for foaming. I have a cheap set of harbor freight hole saws that I didn't care much about dulling, so I used them. Once it got so dull it was smoking like crazy, I would take the hole saw off and chuck it in my vice and make a quick trip around the teeth with a file. Worked really well and I didn't care about how symmetrical I was with the filing since these were cheap. You could also use a dremel with a grinding wheel on it to sharpen... I had to do this like 3 or 4 times. The other option would be a high speed steel or carbide hole saw, but your not going to like the price lol

ACon977

Fiberglass is super abrasive on steel drills and will dull it quick... I had the same problem when I drilled holes for foaming. I have a cheap set of harbor freight hole saws that I didn't care much about dulling, so I used them. Once it got so dull it was smoking like crazy, I would take the hole saw off and chuck it in my vice and make a quick trip around the teeth with a file. Worked really well and I didn't care about how symmetrical I was with the filing since these were cheap. You could also use a dremel with a grinding wheel on it to sharpen... I had to do this like 3 or 4 times. The other option would be a high speed steel or carbide hole saw, but your not going to like the price lol

Yea I figured out that the fiberglass rips apart the teeth on my oscillating tool. I may or may not have just kept using it even though they were completely toast.

And the hole bits I have are from HF for that reason, maybe Ill have to try your sharpening technique and see if that improves it. Im just worried my drill is toast. So I ordered a 10amp one that most people are using for mixing concrete, which should be quite overkill.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I did the same... i had a right angle drill that i used and I only used it because it was the only corded drill I had and didn't want to deal with batteries dying... It fried within 4 holes... Its insane how much load holesaws put on a drill, especially dull hole saws lol

Status
Not open for further replies.